Can't work out how to use Mutes on A4

I just bought A4 and I love it but for the life of me can’t work out why FUNC+TRACK doesn’t mute the sequencer for said track. Manual says the muted track’s light goes off, mine doesn’t. Hitting FUNC+TRACK does nothing at all. Doing the same on any of the presets pattern works correctly so it must be something I’ve done to my project? Scratching my head here…

Mk1 or Mk2 Analog Four?

If you can post a video or photo of what you’re doing, that could help troubleshoot what’s going on :slight_smile:

Performance Mode?

Good point, there you go:

(Doesn’t work in Performance mode either)

1 Like

Just to be clear, are you hitting FUNC + the actual button labelled TRACK or the track button you want to mute? It should be the latter.

edit: didn’t see the video sorry

1 Like

Yeah… absolutely can’t work out what’s happening there

On any other project, including starting a new project from scratch, it works correctly…

Check if you are in song/chain mode, iirc that’s the only mode where FUNC + TRACK doesn’t work.

not in song mode :frowning:

If you hit the Mix button, can you mute the tracks using the 1 to 4 step trig buttons?

It gets weirder:

If I do the lights dim but don’t mute the tracks and don’t “stay” dimmed.
Muting single triggers works though

1 Like

You don’t have to hold the Func button, just press the Trigs to mute.

that does nothing at all

That’s because you hold the FUNC button, but doesn’t explain why the tracks are still audible. According to the manual while holding [FUNC] and pressing one or more of the six first [TRIG] keys, the mute changes will be held until [FUNC] is released.

There is _ _ : on the bottom of your screen when you zoom in, this indicates that the scrach pad row of the song mode is active, that’s probably why you can’t mute tracks.

But I’m not in song mode nor I have chain activated?

From what I understand reading the manual, if you don’t have chains and song mode activated, at least a scratch row will always be there. If I open a new blank project is the same, yet I can mute tracks

From the manual:

[CHAIN MODE] . When deactivating the mode, and SONG mode is not active, the currently active pattern will be played over and over. The active pattern, and any other patterns in the chain are visible at the bottom of the screen. The active pattern is shown with inverted color.

In your video, A01 is shown in inverted colour, which indicates that the scratch pad row contains a chain, even though song mode is inactive.
What happens if you direct jump to another pattern?

I read that but yeah jumping to another pattern doesn’t change anything, still can’t mute tracks

Ok yes this is genuinely weird and I can’t think of an explanation! And this is the same on other patterns in this project? You may have a corrupted project here.

I think so too. I tried all the above on my A4 and mutes work as expected, with FUNC + TRACK.

But just to be sure, doublecheck that there’s nothing but _ _: when you press the edit song button.