Can't update Analogue Heat2

Hi there,
I loaned my brother my heat for about a year and a half and I finally got it back. It seems to be still at v 1.02 and I’ve been trying extremely unsuccessfully to update it.
I’ve tried it via the mac and my desktop pc, using Transfer, c6 and a few other sysex librarians.
Nothing seems to work. When I click os update, it simply stays at waiting for sysex files. The Transfer program just refuses to connect to the Heat.
I’ve tried using via usb and via midi with a usb to midi cable, I’ve done everything suggested like not using a hub and disconnecting all other usb devices (except mouse and keyboard).
I’ve spent 5 hours trying everything. Anybody else have this problem or even better a possible solution?
Thanks

Try midi mode / not in overbridge mode … that kind of thing.

Dig into the menus of usb config on the heat.

1 Like

Yeah, that was one of the first things the update instructions said to do. It’s definitely in usb midi mode, not overbridge. I’m pretty sure every setting I’m supposed to have is ticked. I just can’t figure this out.

Have you tried a different USB cable?

I know that might sound silly, but it is what worked for me when I had issues updating my Model Samples.

1 Like

If you have access to a Linux machine, try Elektroid.

I’ve actually tried 3 cables. I have a usb b to c, the standard one and the usb to midi as I mentioned.
Same result all 3 times (although the usb to midi does it through the midi channel obviously whereas the other 2 recognise it as the Heat)
It’s a pretty straightforward process and Elektron have a set of recommendations for when you’re having problems and I’ve followed them all.
I’m honestly baffled.
And of course the latest version of overbridge doesn’t recognise such an old os, so it’s basically an expensive paperweight at the moment

This is very annoying.
I found an old laptop which had version 1.10 on it and I was able to update to that version.
However everything I do to try to update to the latest version just fails.
I’m completely at my wit’s end with this one.
Hopefully I’ll get an answer from my support ticket

To ease your pain I’m not sure anything major was updated though I’ve not read the release notes since the last time I updated. ( except maybe the overbridge side of things )

Otherwise can you try a friends pc / mac ?
Try using the boot menu ( can’t remember it that’s an option or not )

Are you sure you’re not trying to update a AH mk2 with a mk1 update, or the other way around?

Because that won’t work…

1 Like

Yeah, positive. Anything obvious, I’ve tried. I’ve made sure it’s the right file etc.
I’ve now tried 3 computers - my macbook, a desktop and a laptop. I’ve now tried 4 different cables. I’ve removed all peripheries. I changed different usb ports. I plugged it directly into the pc/mac.
One thing I have noticed and it’s something that maybe people can help me with here. When I click on the sysex transfer page on Transfer the only midi connections that the drop down menu brings are midi out. ie it says Analog Heat midi out. Maybe I’m wrong here, but surely that should actually be midi in? I mean if I’m sending a sysex message from my mac to the Heat I would have thought that I’d want that to go to the midi in of the Heat, not the midi out.
Could this be the issue?
ps tried the boot menu, but it removes the usb midi so the only way of doing it is via a usb to midi cable

Mine is the same. I quickly transfered a preset just to confirm that it works. They are naming it from the perspective of the computer.

Another thing you could try (if you don’t mind losing any presets you have created), is to do a factory reset of the Heat?

Nowadays, IIRC, Elektron devices can be upgraded two ways. But since your unit firmware is old not sure about the second.

1. Setting up the OS upgrade manually on the system menu and then sending the SysEx file with any SysEx program. This requires only sending data from the computer output to the device input.
  2. Using the upgrade service from Transfer or Elektroid. This needs both input and output.

Which method are you using? I guess you’re using the second and therefore it doesn’t work as there are no MIDI input.

You said you’ve checked out everything but you haven’t said anything about the MIDI ports configuration. Are both input and output active in the setting menu?

Have you tried the first option?

I have tried both methods to no avail.
I used a sysex librarian on the mac and I found an old copy of c6 for the pc (c6 doesn’t work on Monterey). I’ve tried Transfer on all 3.
When you try it via the boot menu it disables the usb functionality so the only way I could try it was with my usb to midi cable
I have tried all configurations in the midi settings - usb+midi, midi, and just usb. If there’s an obvious thing, I really have tried it. I’ve been trying unsuccessfully for half a day now, I’m really not just doing the same thing. I’m literally trying everything.
Going from 1.02 to 1.10 was as easy as it’s supposed to be. There is clearly not a problem with connections or settings or else I would not have been able to upgrade to 1.10. The problem is getting to 1.21. I was able to upgrade to 1.10 on the laptop using c6 and the original usb cable. So they’re working fine
I actually tried a factory reset, but it doesn’t seem to work. I’m right in assuming with my factory reset, the os should go back to an earlier version? Mine is still at 1.10. And I am sure I did the factory reset the way it is supposed to be done.
Thanks for all your suggestions by the way, I do appreciate the help, even though I’ve tried most of it already

Maybe try 1.10 -> 1.20 first, see if that works?

Edit: I don’t think Elektron have links to old versions on their website, even if you wanted to try this you would have to get it from Elektron.

I don’t think so. A factory reset should reset your Heat to the last upgraded OS. This happens with other Elektron machines too.

Really weird. Is OB installed on the computers you’ve tried with? I’ve read that there are issues with OB and version 1.10 and perhaps the OB drivers are causing this.

1 Like

Also, take a look at this thread, just in case you haven’t yet. Looks like the same issue.

I have overbridge on the mac, but not on the laptop or pc, so I don’t think it’s that.
My pc and mac both recognise the heat when I turn it on, overbridge does too, it just says it doesn’t work with an older os and advises me to update (grrrr). So my situation is slightly different from that thread, everything seems ok, except for the ability to update to 1.21, whether using Transfer or c6.
It just seems so utterly bizarre that I can update to 1.10 literally as easy as anything, yet the same program won’t let me update the heat
The sysex file I’m using is Analog-Heat_MKII_OS1.21C.syx and I got it straight from the Analog Heat 2 support page. It being the wrong file or there being some mix up is all I can think of right now
ps I actually found an old beta of 1.20 and tried that but had the same issue
I’m truly baffled

Are you using the most current version of Transfer (1.4)?

1.401 straight from the support page, but like I said I also used c6 on the pc and laptop and in fact updated the firmware to 1.10 using c6, so it’s not that.

It just sits there saying ‘waiting for sysex’. Nothing happens. When I updated to 1.10 it instantly changed and started writing

1 Like