Can you sidechain in a Digitone?

Newbie here… considering a Digitone purchase, does it have a side chain feature?

(One of the 4 internal tracks sidechaining another)

1 Like

As far as I’m aware no but it would be fairly straightforward to simulate the ducking effect by p locking volume and or filter settings on a per step basis following another track. For example if you had a pad sound on track 2 and a kick on track 1 you could lock the settings lower on the steps in the pad sequence that correspond to the kick steps. That would give a convincing ducking effect.

1 Like

That’s awesome. Sounds like the Digitone is deep enough to create such work arounds. I like that.

1 Like

P locking is deffo your friend for stuff like that. DN is an awesome bit of kit. If you’re not aware already the Elektron sequencer is so flexible and interacts so much with the synth engine that you could class the sequencer as an instrument in its own right. That’s how I see mine anyway. Simple stuff like locking sustain/release settings give a dynamism to the sound. That’s just scratching the surface.

1 Like

Rhythmic volume automation is also possible with the LFOs, but there are few enough LFO slots that there’s contention for these kinds of use cases vs timbral ones.

1 Like

It’s possible to use NEI trig condition
Track 1 : kick with TRC 100%
Side chain tracks : TRC NEI on lock trigs, with an appropriate lfo on VOL.
The lock trig has to be close to an existing trig, preferably before IIRC, with Microtiming on the trig.

(Tested with AR).

1 Like

Extreme gain settings also result in sidechain-like effects, though harder to control.

1 Like

OB + DAW = Easy Sidechaining

OB + DAW = Keep your LFO’s for something else

OB + DAW = Keep your P-Locks for something else

3 Likes

I have no idea what you mean! OB?

OB = Overbridge

haha I was going to say, slamming gains and overdrives creates some of my favorite (chaotic) sidechain/ducking effects. But that’s me. I like to make my machines all confused and angry.

4 Likes

Got it! I have much to learn :slight_smile:

1 Like

P lock a longer attack of any of the envelopes
making a slow attack on steps you want to duck… that will also save an LFO

3 Likes

Would I be foolish to expect a compressor / side chain on the Digitone in the future? I ask after seeing the Digitakt get one!

This is high level stuff, once again you prove your experience Sir!

1 Like

Nope. Definitely won’t happen (imo). Same for DT never ever getting chorus, for example :slight_smile:

Is it because the tech isn’t possible?

No, not at all. But no compressor on the A4 either and that’s more flagship than DN :slight_smile:

Edit: The one box that would really suit having a compressor is Analog Heat

1 Like

Here’s a very nice example of why it would be great to have it:

A compressor just automates gain, so p-locks or lfo effecting volume or p-locking envelope attack should get similar results. It works perfectly on OT for example, all those lfo shapes and finetuning possibilities with p-locks…

No p-locks on a DX7, but our Elektrons have it.

Sure a comp can add quite a bit of magic, especially on busses, but if we’re talking about digital compressors and sidechaining - I see no reason why equally good results shouldn’t be possible p-locking/modulation volume.
Don’t limit yourself, because a certain feature is not present in your machine when you can easily achieve it with the tools at your fingertips.

1 Like