Can you create an FX chain with Eventide H9

Hi H9 users! I just had a discussion with a friend who wants to buy an H9. He told me that you can create an FX chain with different algos with only one pedal. I’m skeptical about this. I’m aware that some algos use more than one effect but chaining algos together? Can someone confirm my skepticism?

Haven’t figured that out. It’s only 1 at a time, except a couple algorithms that have 2 built in like tremverb and spacetime. I might be wrong, but I dont think I am.

1 Like

No it’s not possible (sadly). But as @VDB says there’s a couple of algos that have multiple fx in them. Generally their order /combination is fixed but in the spacetime one (for example) you can change order of delay and reverb.

4 Likes

@Tchu You’re correct.
I didn’t want to believe it, but after looking into it deeply last week the only way is to get two.

2 Likes

That’s what my friend said : " Ok then, I’ll get two of them! "

1 Like

Worth it!

1 Like

Yep, I’ve got two. Absolutely worth it.

2 Likes

I was actually kinda kidding, tell your friend he needs to be sure about how he feels about using an editor app, cuz it is basically impossible to program on the pedal directly. But it sounds amazing.

I don t think that s true. All parameters can be accessed on the pedal and it s not that hard. It does help understanding if one has explored the algo s via the software first. But I have no problem editing on the pedal. It s not great for live tweaking though. I use it as ‘set and forget’ fx. My Space is much better for live tweaking. (H9 accepts midi cc in though…)

what about the line 6 M range?

M13 for instance

I almost never use the H9 Control App. The algos only have 10 parameters. Also OT can control 10 midi ccs per midi track, so for live tweaking I sometimes use my OT.

Seriously, the ui on the H9 is actually pretty good! Three parameters are always accessible through the x y z buttons, but with only 10 parameters, it’s not so wild to step through them.

For a delay, you can have feedback of delay A, filter and modulation set on x y z, for example. But stepping to the feedback parameter of delay B is easy.

Yeah, it works :wink:

1 Like

I had the m9. The m13 is freaking massive tho. The algos are good, but kinda dated now. They aren’t bad at all. If you want to go the line 6 route the new HX effects iirc is a good option, since all the effects of the HX range are quite good. You can stack up a bunch of effects and it’s easier to program. At least in my opinion. I guess I don’t enjoy the ugly interface on the h9 to program.

1 Like

iam on a line 6 M5 and it’s a really versatile pedal with full midi control, midi clock etc and the harmony section is great for voice stuff, pitch up/down, different scales etc.

it’s a great Unit and cheap to get from time to time, also has a lot of intelligent features under the hood.

sometimes I ask myself why eventides H9 is such a hit and why they didn’t decide to put some knobs on the Unit, I wouldn’t gel with it.

they already did that knobs versions … Eventide SPACE, Modfactor, Timeline etc … there you have 1 knob 1 function :slight_smile:

1 Like

of course of course but the H9 could be a massive platform if not designed like this one knob solution and the way it switches thru the parameters. but hey, that’s my lil opinion on that and I find it a bit to expensive :sleeping:

After 3 years of an H9 Max, I added a used H9 core about a year back. Fantastic choice. You can load all your Max algos on there and have essentially 2 Max H9s. Combined with a midi pedal (I have a morningstarFX MC6 mkII), it’s preset heaven. Presets aren’t the best for experimenting, but for live shows, it’s a dream.

2 Likes

I Have H9 max + Space :sunglasses: (got the Space first, later added H9)

3 Likes

So you’re saying that you can load all the algos from the H9 Max into the H9 Core and you don’t have to pay for them?

1 Like

HA! YES! The Pitchfactor was my first gateway pedal.

Exactly! Get a Max, activate your account… When you add a Core to your account, you have license for all the Max algorithms. Same hardware.

Edit: I’ll add this - The H9 is hardly a knob-twiddler’s delight. Even with the mobile app, it’s nothing like having knobs. But, for getting patches in order, it is an absolute game-changer for live shows. I have a different “setlist” of patches for each band I play with. Before these things, it was a lot of pedal/pedal setting changeups.

1 Like