Can the sequencer not record ReTrig?

exactly. Maschine just got this in the last release. personally i just want quantized start and for the retrigs to record, but i understand wanting swing as well. i would think the retrigs that are recorded would take on the swing value of the track it is on.[/quote]
of course, everyone would think that. it’s a logical expectation, anything else does not make sense.
and Maschine might have done this late, but they are doing it. Elektron clearly have no intention of making their arp swing, not now, and not in 10 years, as it is the same on all their machines, including the MnM.
[/quote]
well at least you are being calm about it all :wink:

exactly. Maschine just got this in the last release. personally i just want quantized start and for the retrigs to record, but i understand wanting swing as well. i would think the retrigs that are recorded would take on the swing value of the track it is on.[/quote]
of course, everyone would think that. it’s a logical expectation, anything else does not make sense.
and Maschine might have done this late, but they are doing it. Elektron clearly have no intention of making their arp swing, not now, and not in 10 years, as it is the same on all their machines, including the MnM.
[/quote]
well at least you are being calm about it all ;)[/quote]
for once :wink:

And I see yours. Indeed, when possible, using one’s personal “groove” is certainly the best way to add expressivity, movement and feel to a rigid beat.

However, this is not at all what we’re talking about here. We’re not discussing USER generated sequences, but AUTOMATED sequences ( like arpegiators and rolls / retrigs). In the case of automated note generation, “your own natural swing” does not apply. The machine’s timing takes over, working AGAINST you “own natural swing”. That is the problem, and one that is very noticeable once you start bringing the Swing amount up and rolls/ arp just go out of time.

So, to be very clear, the Elektron range goes against your natural swing, by not allowing you to make automated sequences follow any kind of groove, natural or not. Any automated sequence is rigid, where every note is exactly equidistant from the ones around it. There really is no explanation as to why that is, and Elektron will never answer to it in any way. Which is what I find baffling.

Most of my time is spent teaching Elektron gear. I love it, the workflow, the sounds, the ergonomic, the stellar build quality, the fact that one has to rely on their ears and not a computer screen. I know that the music I make has been influenced in many ways by the kit I’ve been using over the years, and most of it is Elektron. This is why I would love to get down to the bottom of this and understand WHY they did this. It’s not because I want to trash them. It’s not because I’m unhappy. It’s because I’m genuinely curious. Curiosity leads to exploration, which leads to discovery, and learning. I’m convinced that in the process of finding out why they refuse to swing arps / rolls, I WILL learn something.

Regarding the recording of retrigs, it’s in the manual, so I have no doubt that some time in the future, this function will be implemented. In the meantime, I suppose the easiest work around is to lock retrigs to trigs, it can be tedious, but it’s a workaround, for now :slight_smile:

Cheers !

Maybe you wouldn’t get a straight answer, but has anyone actually asked hq if it could be implemented, ie swinging retrigs and arps, let’s not forget that the retrigs and arps can run at very odd timings, so how easy would it be to swing the ones that are not 1/16 that can take their cues from the user programmable track swing trigs ! I’m curious to hear swinging arps, which synths apps or videos might this be evident on, same with retrigs ??

I have asked countless times, even tried petitions etc…
never any answer.

Waldorf, Access, Novation, Roland, to name just a few, all have swinging arps.
I could extend the list but really, most of them do.

I’m on holidays at the moment, but I can do a short video with all my sequencers that swing arps when I’m back in London.

Besides, what other synths do or don’t do should not matter. A world class sequencer should let all automated sequences follow the global swing setting, period.

Waldorf Pulse / Blofeld / etc

ARP Swing 0%…100%
Determines how much the timing affects an arpeggio step. If ARP Swing is set to 50% (default setting), the arpeggio is played back without any shuffled timing. A setting of 66% creates a ternary shuffled rhythm. Set- tings between 50% and 66% are perfect for finetuning of this groove, settings besides this can be used for expe- rimental grooves.

Access Virus

ARPEGGIATOR SWING
This parameter controls the “swing factor” of the rhythm patterns. Higher SWING values de- lay the even-meter or straight sixteenths; that is, every second sixteenth note. This lends the rhythm a swing feel.

Roland MC 909

Sets the particular note division and resolution in a “single grid” used in creating the arpeggio in an Arpeggio Style, and how much of a “shuf- fle” syncopation is to be to applied (none/ weak/strong) to it.
1/4: Quarter note
1/8: Eighth note
1/8L: Eighth note shuffle Light 1/8H: Eighth note shuffle Heavy 1/12: Eighth note triplet
1/16: Sixteenth note
1/16L: Sixteenth note shuffle Light 1/16H: Sixteenth note shuffle Heavy 1/24: Sixteenth note triplet

novation supernova arp patterns

[ol]
[li]89 Shuffle Accented [/li]
[li]90 Shuffle Slightly Accented[/li]
[/ol]

These are some random manuals I have on my laptop.

yes, i have way too much time on my hands these days :slight_smile: i am on holidays, away from the studio and with only my laptop. hence i could take some time and go through my docs. In any case, I find it incredible that users cannot wrap their heads around swinging arps / rolls. It’s not really something that should be debated, in my opinion. As I have said, there is a workaround in using an Innerclock device, and swinging the actual MIDI clock getting sent to the machines. It’s actually quite magical to hear the Elektron arps working properly and following swing . It really opens up the machines.

Cheers !

EDIT : since i have been away, I have not yet tried the Innerclock with the AR retrig … anyone with a syncgen and an AR care to try and confirm that the AR retrigs do swing when driven by a syncgen ?

so…any news ?

i wish the AR behaved in this section like my mpc1000 does.

It’s been over a year since this thread was started. Don’t keep your hopes up.

keep your hopes up :+1:

Yeah. I don’t think they would have left it in the manual and/or not spoken on it had they abandoned it. It has been unacceptably ignored for far too long tho.
Considering this upcoming update is so sequencentric, I’m crossing my fingers that they’ll come through this round.

+1

+2 …
indent preformatted text by 4 spaces