Can the sequencer not record ReTrig?

I hear you. For my music (Deep House) retrig is completely useless without swing/shuffle. Bummer

Retrig and arps. Yup. The worst is having to “justify” the decision to my students. I feel so stupid and usually don’t know what to say. I hate that feeling.

i believe the problem with recording retrigs has more to do with software implementation rather than anything else and by this i mean: they need the time to develop the feature properly. it may or may not come in a next firmware update but they’re probably already working on it, they know it’s on the manual anyway :slight_smile:

@poonti: you can probably record retrigs on the MD just because they’ve had enough time to implement the feature, it probably doesn’t have much to do with the internal circuitry; also the AR hasn’t been out for a year yet so this and other features are bound to be resolved by the HQ (i’m crossing all the fingers i’ve got) … hopefully

“Is the difficulty related to having real analog circuitry producing the sound in AR, rather than the fully digital generators in MD?”
My guess is yes.
I think the analog /digital hybrid is giving Elektron a few headaches.
The pitch issue on the synth side with Chromatic mode possibly being another one.
I’m sure they will figure it out.

@guga & @mezz:

@secretmusic: couldn’t find an image of multiple crossed-toes, which is what you’ll need to do for shuffled retrigs and arps! :sob: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dataline said something is about to released.

We guessed a new OS for the OT was coming or Overbridge.

Not even close. Was his answer.
So reading into this way too much. I speculate that a major OS update for the Rytm is coming for Christmas.

@Poonti

namm is pretty close, maybe something new for that, if they are going, not another black box elektron, please, no, possibly over(due)bridge ! wrt above, imho, the sequencer engine has no concern about whether the sound generation is analog/code, it’ll be simply down to time available in a relatively small team to get it right

What bothers me about the retrig is the pad sensitivity, half the time the pads are so stiff that they don’t register the retrigging. This is annoying for live performance and makes playing retrigs live a sloppy ordeal. I just program my retrigs through p-locks.

@mezz: I’m really good at explaining stuff and things in my area of expertise, which is not sytnhs and sequencers unfortunately. This also means I’ve been gainfully employed for much longer than I care to remember :zonked:

Retrig and arps. Yup. The worst is having to “justify” the decision to my students. I feel so stupid and usually don’t know what to say. I hate that feeling.[/quote]
just tell them its a sequencer limitation

i think you’re right. namm is at the end of january

as much as I love new hardware, please no more hardware announcements this quick…what I would love see is just a lot of polish on the A4/AK, OT, AR

Hi Poonti
I was just trying to have a bit of fun. What you do in life is none of my business. My apologies if it didn’t seem like a joke to you. I definately didn’t mean to cause any offence. I see now that this joke isn’t very funny and out of place on this thread. I will have to work on my comedy routine. :+1:

For what it’s worth, the retrig with Maschine didn’t follow swing settings for years after release, and it’s all digital/software. I think the most recent update fixed this finally (I haven’t used Maschine since I got my Rytm, but I do miss the fact that retrig is quantized in realtime when playing on pads).

Hi Poonti
I was just trying to have a bit of fun. What you do in life is none of my business. My apologies if it didn’t seem like a joke to you. I definately didn’t mean to cause any offence. I see now that this joke isn’t very funny and out of place on this thread. I will have to work on my comedy routine. :+1:[/quote]
No worries mezz, I didn’t take any offense at all - my reply was more of a “I wish I had a care-free life, that would match the poonti ‘get a job’ card you flashed” it’s all good!

Retrig and arps. Yup. The worst is having to “justify” the decision to my students. I feel so stupid and usually don’t know what to say. I hate that feeling.[/quote]
just tell them its a sequencer limitation [/quote]
i sometimes do, it doesn’t fix anything. Elektron are the only sequencers I know that don’t follow swing setting for their arps / retrigs. Given that they call their sequencer “world class sequencer”, it often proves difficult to explain that such sequencer would have such a silly limitation. In short, I feel full of sht if I say that, because it is, indeed, full of sht.

let’s be real here, it’s not a limitation, it’s a design decision. And there is no one at Elektron who is willing to explain / back up that decision.

in the end, it’s all good, I have moved on from their “limited sequencer” and clock most stuff from an innerclock device, which allows me to swing arps.

Cheers !

exactly. Maschine just got this in the last release. personally i just want quantized start and for the retrigs to record, but i understand wanting swing as well. i would think the retrigs that are recorded would take on the swing value of the track it is on.

exactly. Maschine just got this in the last release. personally i just want quantized start and for the retrigs to record, but i understand wanting swing as well. i would think the retrigs that are recorded would take on the swing value of the track it is on.[/quote]
of course, everyone would think that. it’s a logical expectation, anything else does not make sense.
and Maschine might have done this late, but they are doing it. Elektron clearly have no intention of making their arp swing, not now, and not in 10 years, as it is the same on all their machines, including the MnM.

just tell them its a sequencer limitation [/quote]
i sometimes do, it doesn’t fix anything. Elektron are the only sequencers I know that don’t follow swing setting for their arps / retrigs. Given that they call their sequencer “world class sequencer”, it often proves difficult to explain that such sequencer would have such a silly limitation. In short, I feel full of sht if I say that, because it is, indeed, full of sht.

let’s be real here, it’s not a limitation, it’s a design decision. And there is no one at Elektron who is willing to explain / back up that decision.

in the end, it’s all good, I have moved on from their “limited sequencer” and clock most stuff from an innerclock device, which allows me to swing arps.

Cheers ![/quote]
Right on, I see your point. Thats cool you found a work-around thats satisfactory. Personally I just use the sequencer straight up. If i want swing, I use my own natural swing.