Can / should we expect some machines of our own?

We can and we should!

But I don’t think machines make sense. How about just more effects and arp on the midi channels

1 Like

I would be happy if bugs like the LP4 USB bug would be fixed and parameter locks on the syn2 page would work. no wish for new features.

Arp <3 on <3 the <3 MIDI <3 channels <3

That’s all I need. The sonic possibilites are already so wide that it is sometimes overwhelming. No point for “machines”.

4 Likes

Midi arps + a random arp mode + slide trigs => Digitone good for 50 more years of service.

3 Likes

Physical Modeling would be amazing.

I’d also love to have a different flavour of sound generation.
I actually thought Digitone was my favourite synth, because I can make any sound I want on it. But over time it deemed to me, that I miss crispness.

Maybe all there is needed is new wavetables for the Operators. I’d love to have actual pulse and saw waves (instead of the additive synthesis variants it has now) for example.

But presumably I’m alone with that! :wink:

9 Likes

A ploy version of the swarm machine would be tight! Throw in some of the open source mutable instruments oscillators. Physical modeling would work really well in here as well.

I know it’s a workaround, but have you tried using the LFOs at audiorate? I know it’s not phase modulation, but it sounds different from using the operators.

2 Likes

Not to sidetrack too much but is Syntakt your current favorite? Only asking because I love what I’ve been hearing out of your ST posts and am really close to pulling the purchase trigger…

1 Like

Yes, Syntakt is my favourite thing and I won’t ever part with it :wink:

I came to the conclusion that the only bad thing about it is, that the machines have very specific names, thus always downplaying what they actually can do (what range of sounds they are capable of). For example, the analog snares can do kick drums and the rimshot screaming bass sounds.
Same goes for the digital machines, and for many of those using one of the LFOs to fm them (see Nils above) opens up so many new sound possibilities compared to the Model:Cycles …

9 Likes

I love that DN has its own distinct voice, even if not a lot of people like it.
Changing that voice to be more like the majority of music instruments out there seems a bit backwards to me.
I agree that it would be convinient to have everything in one place, but thats what ST is good at.
Hope that DN leans even more into what its good at, instead of changing its nature.
A collidoscope of crystaline caves under an ocean of everchanging sound waves, if you will :tongue:

I dont think DN will get its own machines, despite most Elektron devices having that concept in them now. My argument on why is A4.

1 Like

Not “more like”. Better.

1 Like

Agree 100% on all points.

1 Like

I would be over the damn moon if Elektron added a VA machine with a noise oscillator. Other engines would be cool too. I’d really like some kind of wavetable deal, especially if I can upload my own. But a VA engine would be perfect.

Also, I think the sample rate reduction from the Digitakt would be great on the Digitone, as well.

7 Likes

physical modeling would be nice :+1:

…but that one is hard to do right so itd be more practical to make another dn/dt like box that does only that

Digitone is pretty good at emulating VA and Wavefolding:

I would love to see them implement them for real though.

And of course, ARP over midi! Please :pray: :sob: Lol. I’ll be sending my quarterly request for arp over midi now.

Just wanted to say thank you Elektron for making the digitone.

8 Likes

A lofi machine, soundblaster ish sounding , with aliasing and thus, as quality would be reduced, more polyphony. I remember reading here a statement by ess that the limited polyphony was a technical choice to provide the best hi fi sound possible… So doing the opposite would be possible …

4 Likes

If they just made it so that the operators could modulate into a purer noise sound that’d be really helpful (right now you can still hear a lot of the fundamental when fully modulated)

Yes!! A sampling machine!! And a wavetable machine!!

1 Like

a "“way back” machine that takes snapshots to let you move more than one step of undo backwards would be great. for things that pattern reload can’t recover.

1 Like

Ha, a global undo would be nice, if unlikely. I doubt the hardware has enough RAM to accommodate that kind of state management, but at least on the UI side, I could imagine something with a three-button combo: FUNC + NO + < to step backwards with undo; FUNC + NO + > to step forward with redo.

2 Likes