Can / should we expect some machines of our own?

Hey all,

With the new firmware update for Digitakt, I couldn’t help wonder if we have some sparkling new machines headed the way of Digitone. Thoughts?

4 Likes

I’d be curious what it would actually look like, because Digitone is already incredibly flexible.

3 Likes

The Digitone has machines already, they’re just on the Syntakt :wink:

10 Likes

I think we’ll likely get new algorithms as opposed to machines. Not even sure if it would make sense as the DN is meant to be wide open in sound design (with the given simplified FM structure). Machines are more limited in scope.

10 Likes

Agree. The point of the machine concept as I see it is to maximize your sound design options with only a few parameters.

2 Likes

they could maybe give you ym2612 (megadrive) emulation mode, and such. for different flavours.

15 Likes

Yeah all this makes sense.

Hell I’d trade in new machines/synth engines for just 1 compressor with sidechain :heart:

However I do notice the additions to digitakt aren’t exactly like machines in Syntakt. They are bespoke. So I’m still keeping fingers crossed for something special.

4 Likes

I think it would be really cool to get a virtual analog mode which replaces the stuff on the syn 1 and syn2 pages. I am thinking something like three oscillators, with ring mod and or sync. I don’t expect this by any means, but it would be pretty cool, as the default FM sounds can get a little toyish for me at times.

16 Likes

Unlikely - I agreed with an earlier poster that the Digitone is sold as an FM dream machine. Anything that deviates would defeat its own purpose.

3 Likes

Nowhere on the box does it say FM. They could definitely change the marketing. But ultimately I agree that it is unlikely.

3 Likes

Having trouble thinking of what they could add to the digitone.

-A wavetable option or “lo-fi” mode for each operator?
-Karplus Strong or other modeling synthesis mode for operators?
-Formants similar to the FS1R?
-Increased midi power like making the arp available to midi tracks?
-A new send effect, or incresed options in the chorus?

None of those really make sense in the “machine” mindset

13 Likes

I think this is extremely unlikely, but as long as we are daydreaming this is what I would like to see with the “machine” concept. Create different machines than replace the functionality in syn1 and syn2 pages. Currently the digitone is a very versatile FM synth, with a lot of depth. What if they made a machine that had similar depth but for other synthesis methods, like wave tables, or physical modeling, or phase distortion, or virtual analog stuff like sync and ring mod. I think this is very unlikely since the amount of work it would take probably wouldn’t be worth the only slight sales bump it would probably get, but it would be cool.

2 Likes

Exactly what I’m thinking. A bit pie-in-the-sky, but then again, sample slicing, repitching, and a unique warp mode on the Digitakt probably would have seemed pie-in-the-sky yesterday.

You make a good point that it would only be the Syn1 and Syn2 pages that would be completely new if Elektron were to add wavetable or VA synthesis as new machines, so it almost seems possible that such an expansion could fit in a similar scope to Digitakt’s new features. It would still be a lot of DSP development, UI design, and QA testing, but yesterday I’d have said 0% chance; today I’d say 25% chance!

1 Like

Yeah, the main reason I think it is unlikely vs the digitakt updates is that the digitakt has seemed to sell really well for them, so it makes sense to put more work into that to continue to drive those sales. I think the digitone is probably a harder sell. Although an 8 voice poly VA synth might help alleviate that a bit.

3 Likes

I’d love VA or Wavetable on the DN. It’d be so nice to have a non-FM synthesis workflow in this thing.

7 Likes

I would hate to see a VA engine in the DN, it’s totally incompatible with its digital DNA.

An additive engine could be cool though.

11 Likes

Okay what if we don’t call it virtual analog and instead say they are the purest digital square and saw waves into a nice pure digital filter. Nothing like an analog synth, I promise! Basically I just want some sync and classic sharp edged waveforms.

2 Likes

Sorry if I came across as harsh, you are of course free to wish for whatever you like in the DN :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m obsessed with limitations and crystal clear concepts, I just can’t imagine a VA engine in the DN, but that’s just me :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

No but listen, a Monoarp Machine feature. I think it would fit the DN like crazy:

And maybe… maybe… parameter slides? A man could dream…

4 Likes

…maaaybe another operator routing model option…
…maaaybe midi arp…
…maybe compressor…

but that’s about it…but i also stated with heaps of confidence, the takt has no headroom left for any further aproovements…so, what do i know…i was wrong before and i might be wrong again…

while to split up also the dtone into more simplified, individual sound machines, nope…i really don’t think so…
but never the less, we know, the dtone worx on a duo chip concept, while the takt has “only” one…
to give it a refreshing reboost like 1.5 really makes way more sense for a product that still has the best production costs vs profit per sold unit in all swedish history…

on the other hand…ess’ mindset is already in there…maaaaaaaybe, dtone could also host some opal approach…

3 Likes