Can it time stretch like digitakt does?

Hello

would be in to add a M:S to my digitone…
but before i’d know if somebody manage to reproduce the same time stretch trick
on M:S as DT can do ,read that you can P-lock lfo mode with velocity on M:S so would be doable to time stretch ? someone can confirm or tried ?
don’t own one to try and don’t find a lot of info.

Yes it can, bit rough round the edges though as it can only sweep 120 values.

1 Like

thanks for the reply : ) nice to know it works !
when you say 120 values which parameter you refer ?
do say that some parameter on MODEL series have lower resolution( no decimal value…) than the DIGI serie ?

I think it’s 120 different points for sample start ?

you right ,i think .

It’s not entirely possible on M:S as it is on Digitakt, since the LFO cannot be restarted on trig 1. See also: Timestretch loops on M/S?

Without restarting the LFO on step 1, timing will go out of sync. I’m interested to hear if you can get it to work in a different way.

1 Like

looks that there’s a trick for the lfo ,didn’t tried as i don’t own M:S ,i just read it …

3 Likes

Nice one! I can’t wrap my head around it just yet, but I’ll give it a try!

I just tried, and it works!

First I used the Velocity Destination as an LFO reset as described here:

Then I followed the Digitakt steps as mentioned here:

With a minor tweak to the LFO settings: Mul x1 and LFO speed -32 worked for me.

I haven’t found any M:S tutorials online, so I’ll try and make a video to show how I did it.

5 Likes

Awesome dude!! Makes me want to pick up a M:S just to try.

I wish these devices had an option for a free running LFO mode that starts at the start of the waveform when you press play. Not having that makes the LFO more confusing than it needs to be IMO because it’s not repeatable unless you know to use these workarounds.

great to know it works ,thanks for the update ,a video could be useful.
in the end i found a digitakt locally ,couldn’t resist …

2 Likes

The annoying thing is that the capability is there but it’s not immediately accessible.

By default it’s all retrigger or not.

The method I described before works but it’s very convoluted.

Having the ability to parameter lock LFO modes directly from the interface would be great.

3 Likes

… an Idiot’s Guide to Time Stretching the Model: Samples would still be much appreciated … :crazy_face: :wink:

3 Likes

Maybe this is me being new to samples … but this isn’t meant to work with time-stretching a single note is it ? Too many artefacts (from each step) when you try that.

1 Like

In principle you would need overlapping slightly shifted steps, you could try using two or more tracks for this. This is how it‘s done for examle on the Octatrack, but also with dynamic step-length, depending on the material. But fixed lengths should work with relatively flat volume curves.

It‘s the Elektron way to leave some obvious things out, because art thrives on limitations :wink:

No really, why they don‘t offer some time-stretching at least as a non-realtime utility function for their low-tier sampler machines escapes me.

1 Like

This being said, it‘s still possible.

Look what this guy is doing. Also look at his other videos. Incredible!

1 Like

I’m working towards a cheat-sheet for my own benefit.

I see that ‘time stretching’ actually means something much more specific than stretching out a one-shot sample (which was the first thing I tried, with variable results).

It seems that the usual application is to take a loop, drum loop typically, and to be able to vary pitch and tempo independently, from a base of using the original tempo and pitch.

The first I’ve worked out to my own satisfaction (while discovering it’s limitations), but I guess if I’m going to compile a cheat sheet, it’s really the 2nd on people want to know about ?

@sleepside and @bibenu did some great work over at Timestretch loops on M/S? - #9 by bibenu

2 Likes