Timestretch loops on M/S?

Been checking out this technique for digitakt

But cant seem to get it to work on model samples. Do u need to be able to lock trig 1 to retrigger the lfo? Im still a newbie with MS.

Anyone doing timestretch on MS?

1 Like

Itā€™s not possible to restart the LFO on trig 1 with M:S, which is crucial to make the result consistent.
I am however very curious if anyone has a workaround to this workaroundā€¦

It is possible, thanks to @krasterā€™s info!

I just tried, and it works!

First I used the Velocity Destination as an LFO reset as described here:

Then I followed the Digitakt steps as mentioned here:

With a minor tweak to the LFO settings: Mul x1 and LFO speed -32 worked for me.

I havenā€™t found any M:S tutorials online, so Iā€™ll try and make a video to show how I did it.

3 Likes

Sweet! Will have to check this out

Iā€™m waiting for video! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, me too, but Iā€™m moving house at the moment, so this is where my Model:Samples is at:

I made a video demo cobbling together the tips from @dialectrics, @kraster, and @triandgle. Hopefully this helps some folks (and hopefully I havenā€™t overlooked something silly or overgeneralized a method)

9 Likes

Brilliant! Super clear demo! Definitely couldnā€™t have done this better, haha.

Additionally, I found that a 2-bar loop vs 4-bar loop require some tweaking with LFO depth (and the number of triggers added, obviously), but just keep it to doubles/halves.

2 Likes

Nice work. I did a crib sheet for myself a week or two ago but never got around to the full explanation for the forum. Now youā€™ve done the explanation, itā€™s worth adding my quick reference I think.

Pad menu

VDep 0
Dst MODE
DDep 2.0

Trigs

Vel 0 - free run, no LFO reset (actually, anything from 0-31)
Vel 33 - reset the LFO (actually, anything from 32-63)

Trigs on every step

Sample Start

Sample Length

LFO

Wav Saw
Mul (see later)
Dest STRT
Dep -30.0

LFO settings for matching a 32-step loop

LFO Mul x2
LFO Speed 32

Now play with tempo and pitch independently

LFO settings for matching a 16-step loop

LFO Mul x4
LFO Speed 32

EDIT: I should have added that the above was only made possible by the contributions of others further up the thread, and in the parallel thread. ā€˜Can it time stretch like the digitakt doesā€™.

6 Likes

Thanks for the kind words and more generalized setting tips, @triandgle and @bibenu! This cheat sheet is lovely. I have updated the video description because sample length is a pretty big thing to overlook

3 Likes

And guess who overlooked it ? I just updated my cribsheet :slight_smile:

Hahaha. I had meant the number of bars a sample is expected to run, but this is important too. :grin:

1 Like

you can tell itā€™s working when the auto generated subtitles say so :wink:

5 Likes

Hoisted, by my own hubristic captioning!

This is awesome! The velocity to LFO trigger is such a great workaround.

1 Like