Can I record vocals straight into the Digitakt?

I’ve never worked with a microphone before and was wondering if recording from mic to Digitakt is as simple as plugging it into the back?

If not, what are my options?

Thanks

the dt has only inputs for a signal that has a line or higher level.

microphones have a much lower output level and need a mic preamp. if you use a condensator mic, it also needs phantom power of 48 Volt

the cheapest solution is to buy a small mixer with a mic preamp and connect the output to the dt.

1 Like

How about a field recorder then - something like a h4n? I’m probably going to mangle the sounds anyway, so this would probably open up further possibilities right?

1 Like

The Zoom H6 has a stereo line out and the recorder itself some sort of mixer mode. If the H4 has something similar that’d be an option.

1 Like

Get a Zoom or similar for ‘field’ stuff.

If you’re going to record ‘Vocals’ buy a Microphone a mic stand and some kind of outboard, at the very least a cheap mixer but you REALLY need a compressor and some reverb (always record dry).

Str.

Microphone with 1/4" inch transformer works for me.

Do you know the zoom h6 ? Pretty good preamp. As good as my apogee duet… Better than a " cheap mixer " for sure…

Thanks for the responses.

I’ve ended up purchasing a Tascam DR-40. I got a fair deal on used one, and it seems [from the videos] to give me enough quality. Also means I can sample away from the studio if I wish to.

I did consider the iPhone internal recorder orginally, but the quality was less than what I required. I have used my phone that way in the past but results can vary a lot.