Can elektron start selling monomachines again?

I believe waftlord is referring to this:

but I would be curious to hear people’s approach to using PRCH as modulation source.

7 Likes

yeah i didn’t explain that very well. it’s only the pitch, rather than the type of machine, that modulates the neighbour track but when these are layered (and the introduction of an LFO(s) on pitch or/and when using the ARP or transpose on the source channel) things get interesting. stacking (with sid and dpro wave) PRCH modulation over several tracks with arps going in different directions can get mad.

7 Likes

thanks for the reminder! i knew about this but somehow have never experimented with it

ok, but is there anything specific about the way an FM machine deals with pitch that adds to this ability? (versus say a NOIS machine)

nothing specific. it’s just a subtle layering effect depending how you tune machines.

i’ll try to record something.

2 Likes

Thank you.

It very good for keeping several tracks in tune when doing something like throwing lfos at the pitch/tune parameters.

They could easily turn DN into next monomachine with some more features. That wavetable-like harmonics has a lot of possibilities to expand on. It also says Digital Synthesizer, not FM synth. I hope they’d bring in more monomachine flexibility into DT and turns It into their flagship synth.

early rainy morning PRCH jam live from mnm into iphone

so this is 16 steps with an arp on each synth, all LFOs doing something
track 1 fm
track 2 sid
track 3 dpro wave
track 4 sid
track 5 verb
track 6 dynamix

sequence starts with that dodgy fm robot goose sound, then i unmute 2,3,4 every 4 bars respectively, fm then fades out but tr1 still sending pitch out.
first 40 odd seconds all sync options for 2,3,4 are turned off
in the pause i turn 2,3,4 to PRCH and restart sequence, same kit same pattern no other changes. (edit: sids turned to ring mod and i turned up tr4 a bit as the modulation affected volume)

4 Likes

This is great!

How do you record to iphone?

1 Like

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/

not the best sound, but ok for reference and sharing as .ogg or .mp4

But thats a mono (1 in, 1 out) device, isnt it?

yup mono sadly

haha. I laughed at the ‘I was still a kid’…god i’m old

Not sure this is accurate. DSP is not like regular CISC silicon which has a new generation every 18 months or so. The DSP in the UAD boxes dates back to the 90’s, with only minor updates. The Coldfire 56206e has been succeeded by newer chips, but the same general architecture AFAIK. The Motorola DSP 56303 can be sourced on Digikey so it can’t be that hard to come by.
I’d be more curious to know if they can source the same DA converters or suitable ram/rom chips.

2 Likes