Can elektron start selling monomachines again?

I would die for this!! When they stopped producing it I was still a kid, now that I interested in synthesizer and everything, I can’t have one!!! Also everyone says that monomachine is way better than digitone… it’s so frustrating!!

2 Likes

Too Late :slight_smile:

1 Like

they come up for sale 2nd hand all the time. keep an eye on the Facebook groups & reverb etc.

also, its not way better than the digitone. that’s subjective. it’s just different.

9 Likes

Digitone is still an amazing synth box. Monomachine has it’s own weirdness and quirks that keep it unique, but don’t get lost in the hype. Digitone is extremely powerful it the right hands

5 Likes

I regularly get lost in the MnM hype and would love them to just reissue it along with the MD, but then again I get so much mileage out of the DN, that I’m learning not to care anymore. Same thing for people clamouring for OT Mk3. Say what? The OT is still the greatest sampler of all time. Just use what you’ve got at your disposal. If you really want a MnM just front the cash for one on the second hand market

7 Likes

Everyone?

2 Likes

Dunno if way better, yr pushing it there

1 Like

Monomachine way better than Digitone? You’ve got my interest…do tell

You can buy a used MM for no more than they cost new. Regarding MM vs DN - how can you compare? I’ve owned 3 MM at the same time (is this proof of my love?) and still wouldn’t give up the DN.

4 Likes

And I thought I was the only nerd who had more than 1 MnM

2 Likes

I had an sfx-6, sfx-60 mkii and sfx-60 mkii+ at the same time (for a long time). As you can imagine the original plan was to sell one each time I bought the next. Somehow I just couldn’t do it. Eventually recently sold me mkii+ as I needed some money. I suppose I’ll never sell the sfx-6.

2 Likes

it would really be nice if this would happen at some point but i doubt it will, only option, as stated in the other posts is to look for a second hand one and enjoy it :smiley_cat:

those are somewhat two different machines even if there might be some similarities soundwise and technology has changed since the MM was released; whether one is better than the other, that has probably a bit to do with what one is looking for.

nnooooouu :smile:

1 Like

i cant explain it but somehow mnm is the most emotional synth that ive ever heard… nothing sounds like it! digitone is a close 2nd but not quite there (yet?); yes, digitone is more modern sounding, bigger, mostly more complex still, mnm is just more emotionally deeper, elusive, timeless… yeah, not sure i’m explaining this correctly lol but i’m sure some of you will understand what i’m talking about.
also, the physical sound comes out of speakers occupying space like a 3d object; also something i can’t exactly explain (md does the same). funny machines!

i’d be cool if elektron could sell them again, different hw or even as vst instruments.

7 Likes

It’s a unique beast, for certain.

I’ve made a lot of different tracks with a lot of different instruments.
Sometimes, after years have passed and I try to remember the session but can’t, and just listen to a track to remember what instrument I used, I may confuse this synth for that other one, or that drum sampler for that other one.
But the tracks I’ve made on Monomachine are not only easy to point out sonically (to me), they’re easier to remember the process of making them.
Since the process was unlike any other instrument, they immediately jump back into my mind when I listen.

I remember those aha! moments in making the track where things really came together, or those odd neighbor routings and heavy LFO use across multiple delay lines that made the tracks weird yet effective.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I get to time travel the most, when listening to my old Monomachine tracks.

11 Likes

I love my MnM. Never had a DN, but I’m sure they have a more modern sound. But the original post asked if it is possible for Elektron to reissue the MnM. I think that could be possible. Maybe the same engines inside a more ip to date Elektron style box. I’m begging for it. Maybe the original ones would drop in price and i could update to a mkii :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Reading through this thread is making me want a monomachine something fierce…

2 Likes

@dododo
SH101 (a real one), Nord Modular 2, CS-80, AN1x…such is life.

I have both and use DN waaaay more often.
What I really dislike in MM are the filters, they are not well done IMO. Resonance behaves weirdly, and apart from this you can get ugly saturations if you’re not careful with gain staging. A pita.
But there are so many paths to get lost…

Digitone is extremely coherent, a true diamond. I love it and always bring it with me when I have to play with friends…
Now that I think of it, a DN keys would be interesting to test…

3 Likes

The only thing i really miss from my Monomachine was the Arp. It was all kinds of awesome! It gave you the possibility of polymetric tracks, it gave you probability and you could even get some different swing pr track. Ive always wondered why no one else has copy’ed the SID mode from that arp.

2 Likes

I think you might be missing the forest for the trees.

The user interface on the OT is fine. The conceptual framework and fx are amazing. The incredibly small amount of onboard memory is mostly the issue. Not being able to send midi over usb, and other features which cannot be accommodated by the current design present ongoing annoyances.

Some people asking for an OT mk3 (me) just want something with the specs of the akai series current generation (large built-in hard drive, cv recording/sends, SD card, etc) with the flavor of the OT that they are already familiar with.

5 Likes