Can Elektron please start selling MachineDrums again?

I don’t think that’s what they wanted to do.
To me it seemd like they tried to do a mix of elements in the very popular Digi form. If they failed could be discussed in a few years maybe…
Without access to sales figures it will stay in the realm of speculation…

3 Likes

Yeah, see you in 15 years dudes, when you’ll be willing to pay 2000 euros for a discontinued Syntakt.

16 Likes

Welcome to the internet, make yourself at home.

3 Likes

Did not mean that the syntakt failed as a product, but failed as a successor in spirit of the MD/MnM.
Elektron products are always high quality there is a reason why they sell so well even with fairly high prices.

Yes it also feels like all leftovers of digi designs in a single box … not a fan but I can see why ppl would like it :slight_smile:

So it failed in a completely imaginary goal?

Cool.

13 Likes

…in this thread

5 Likes

I like how the Octatrack completely failed in it’s quest to be that giraffe I thought it should be.

LOL.

8 Likes

Like I already wrote, many MD features (that were unique to the MD at the time) were carried on to and developed further in subsequent models: parameter locks, Controll-All, the pattern+kit structure, song mode, etc.

3 Likes

In chapter 2, Elektron manuals include a short introduction to the device, its background, what were the thoughts behind its development, goals, suggested use cases.

I always find them interesting to read. “The background of the Octatrack” is particular interesting in relation to MDs RAM machines.

If anyone wants some background info to further elaborate what fails how and where.

5 Likes

I think EURO was a little stronger. The EUR and USA price was 699 or 749.

I remember paying 699 CHF for my monomachine direct from Elektron and 700 CHF slightly used for MDUW just after they were sold out, about a month after.

1 Like

At the end of the day, I think a lot people just want more digital drum and synth engines and maybe digital grit from Elektron boxes. From the current lineup I think the answer is still syntakt+octatrack

Syntakt has introduced SY Toy, SY Bits, SY Swarm, Snare Vintage and CP Vintage as digital voices. I think once we see more drum engines and hopefully fx added, people can make better judgements about where it stands compared to Machinedrum. Digital drum machine/synthesis is a glaring gap in the lineup otherwise. Some people have noted that it could benefit from either/or more MD crunch or more ND2/3 punch . Hopefully in a future update we’ll see more machines that add a little more in this department, I’m pretty sure we’ll see at least a few.

4 Likes

So…

As great as the MD is, for those that don’t have one or have had one, and day dream about it…yes it’s awesome…BUT…

…yes there is a but. I read endless posts about this box lacks this feature or that. Get your hands on an MD and you will feel constrained. A lot of the COOL features Elektron have added to the new boxes are not there. Another but, it’s kinda what makes it what it is. Makes you werk for what you’re after.

I personally think if the MD was reborn, the flavour would be gone. It may be more usable, have more of the new tricks. But it wouldn’t be the same. Who’s to say that it wouldn’t be a new classic…dunno, could be even better, it could also have people disappointed like they are with the TRs :man_shrugging:t5:

Perhaps looking to make a new classic is the better path? Roland SH-4D for example. One quote I read that was funny “perhaps the first thing Roland did that won’t be one Bad Gear” or something to that effect :rofl:

Anyways forward not backward.
2cents

7 Likes

The SH-4D still has classic Roland samples and emulations though. It’s like if MD machines were emulated on new machines for the Syntakt. Not a perfect comparison, but both machines would have new functionality with some classic sounds present.

Not that I think MD machines on the ST will ever happen.

I feel like the demand and price for MDs will taper off as soon as someone brings out a fully featured, relatively affordable digital drum synth/machine with novel engines. Essentially a Volca Drum Pro or similar.

The MD is certainly fantastic and it does what it does brilliantly. It just doesn’t do quite a lot of other things.

1 Like

I dont deny the current prices are stupid. :man_facepalming:t6:

its out of control

Obi-Wan understood the MD and MnM:

2 Likes

MCL essentially uses SYSEX to do so, isn’t it ? I may use a midi processor to map CCs to machines / kit changes with SYSEX.

What to you mean by slot system ? +Drive only ?

fully featured, relatively affordable digital drum synth/machine with novel engines.

6 Likes

Referencing the fact they’ve hidden a dual-layer drum synth in there and it’s reasonably affordable.

Ok, that’s a cool feature… but I’d say that’s quite a stretch from a fully featured drum machine with novel engines, isn’t it ?