Can Elektron please start selling MachineDrums again?

If someone managed to reverse engineer the code, I don’t see why someone that has access to the source code would have difficulties to understand it.

Machine Drum is unbeatable

Syntakt does not sound even close

5 Likes

So…we need to get a mole on the inside to steal the code, and hand it over to some of the brilliant nerds in this community to revive the Machinedrum

Comparing Elektron to NASA? Did Stanley Kubrick fake an Elektron product launch from ‘space’?

2 Likes

He’s saying that Elektron lost that “tech” when the 1/2 the team went on to make TE, and if Elektron ever had to go back to the moon, and it’s a painful process to build it back again, because it’s a very small and expensive TE rocket.

2 Likes

The first Elektron SID was done without too much part left for SID chips.
That does not stop them to build it.
I guess there is new chip similar to the old one which could be used to put back a new MD on sell. IIRC the « math » chip is the same family that the one used by lots of Waldorf, Novation, Virus. A famous chip DSP chip which is only good at crunching numbers. The DSP5630 cousin.
You can see it here :
Machinedrum Guts

If people had been able to reverse engineering part of the code of the firmware to make new firmware of the MD. If this chip has been reverse engineer to allow a VST of the Virus. My guess is there is lots and lots of documentation available for new developers at Elektron.

My guess is they stop MD, MnM just because sells was low, not because part was not available. They would have made a MK3 if it was selling really well.

But maybe doing a batch of 10 000 unit is a risk for Elektron. They need to upgrade the unit to ‘new standard’ if they release it again :

• usb
  • new sequencer feature to match other product
  • overbridge
    Then the current things said by everyone :slight_smile: When does new firmware will bring that…
4 Likes

Let me word the same differently, the sounds I found attractive from the Machinedrum I found eventually on the Syntakt, except the PI hihats/cymbals (which nobody seems to be care that much for on the Machinedrum).

Somehow most comments on here assume we all want to do the same music, even though I thought my comment was pretty clear.

5 Likes

Reminds me of all the people on the Perkōns thread moaning that they couldn’t do deep house grooves for studying to with it. Like every piece of fucking gear has to have a boring deep house toss setting…

For the music I like to make, Syntakt offers a lot more than the machine drum, but I’m not about to start talking about how Syntakt “blows the MD out of the water” or any of that specwanker shite because I’m not fucking 12 years old.

8 Likes

Didn’t I wrote in that thread my Syntakt blows the Perkōns out of the water? :rofl:

1 Like

Doubt it.

I can’t see you on my list.

EDIT:

Ok, so now you’re on my list…

1 Like

No sorry it is not about the music you do

Whatever music you play the MD was and is still a superior machine compared to the Syntakt

Just to mention a few
16 voice
16 LFO
Master compressor
Master Eq
Parametric eq for each track
Amplitude modulator x track

Just based on the above Syntakt seems to be twice limited on sound design

1 Like

I think you’re missing the point.

It really isn’t about specs.

Otherwise why would anyone buy a Minimoog, or a Juno, or even a fucking 303?

6 Likes

I do care !
I just bought an MD MKI (had an MKIIUW+ before). I should be fine for drums synthesis with MD and ST, paired with DT and OT maybe…

1 Like

I am not missing the point
It is not about spec it is about features which is a different thing from spec

Spec wise Syntakt is more advanced right, overbridge, usb class compliant and bla bla bla

Feature wise it is not

3 Likes

News to me.

Anyway, the point is that it’s all subjective and people should use the tool that works for them/their music, not the one with more specs/features/buttons/Kleenex dispensers or whatever the fuck you want to call them.

3 Likes

Specs and features are important, but don’t make a better instrument. Just a potentially more capable device for certain uses.

My Peak has more modulation options than my Take 5, yet I adore them both and they do slightly different things in my music. The TR-8s is “objectively” superior to the Drumbrute Impact on paper, but I loathe using it and love using the DBI. There’s so much more to an instrument than a list of features.

4 Likes

And if you forget ST specs, this comparison doesn’t work.
26 lfos, trig conditions, Probability, analog synthesis and filters, sound locks (much more different possible sounds on 1 track).

Saying MD is the best seems subjective to me.

6 Likes

good old fashioned elektron wall urination height discourse.

it’s not about the height it’s how you aim. don’t slide on the peelocks etc etc

12 Likes

Stealth edit spotted.

1 Like

Having both, I can pee high and in 2 directions at the same time !

2 Likes