Erica Synths PĒRKONS HD-01

Yep. Total nonsense.

2 Likes

Looks like the end of a drunk set…

1 Like

I don’t buy anything until Rich has taken a wank on it

1 Like

It literally looks like he’s trying to make it stop after it’s taken a brain shit.

1 Like

Apples and oranges, I think. The Techno System is basically a modular 909 clone + bassline + sampler + fx/distortion/lfo + various (sub)mixers, whereas in my understanding the Perkons is a really original and unique box with its digital sound algorithms, four-lane hands-on sequencing, etc.

1 Like

I think a case can be made for immediacy in regards to the Perkons… I think Richard Devine is doing a poor job in this video of demonstrating it’s strengths… but I hear you!

1 Like

Hes trying to be Jackson Pollock and the crossover doesnt work.

2 Likes

So if anyone can think of a drum machine that I can simultaneously use each voice to trigger/provide FM/AM sources for my Sherman whilst using the octatrack as send/return effects and still be able to process the main output, whilst also being able to control every step of every track [Rahzel voice] at the same time, please let me know, then we can compare Perkons with it.

I think it’s fucking amazing that a company can produce something as niche as Perkons in the current market. But make no mistake, Perkons is a very niche product. It probably has the narrowest design brief of any drum machine I’ve ever seen.

This is why that Richard Devine video doesn’t work. That’s not really what Perkons is for, it’s not a Pulsar. All these guys wondering what it’ll sound like without any drive…it’ll sound like shit without any drive, it’s a fucking Erica Synths product. It’s like asking if you can do good flamenco on an ESP. NO, YOU CAN’T.

Instead of thinking of it in terms of feature top trumps, think of Perkons as all those little things your drum machine can’t do in a box for people who want to bang hard.

Rant over, carry on.

3 Likes

Richard Devine in a nutshell:
Turn all the knobs to max settings.
Set tracks to be different number of steps and direction.
Randomly mash buttons and twiddle knobs
Turn tempo right up.
Get 100,000 likes from fuck knows who.
Make a career of it.

15 Likes

Agreed. I realised with his pulsar videos that he didn’t have anything I wanted. But good luck to him.

haha

I’m hesitant to bash the guy cause I suspect he has talent I don’t understand… but yea. I follow a dude on Instagram that does this with a Model:Cycles and his reach is INSANE - nobody commenting on his posts knows what’s going on or what a Model:Cycles is and his music sounds like an Ableton export error but people love it.

I don’t understand the world any more.

3 Likes

To be fair, Devine is much more of a sound designer these days. He does a hell of a lot of work doing sound FX and shit, his musical output is very much second to that these days, and I don’t feel like he’s really pushing himself that hard artistically, as it doesn’t seem to be where he gets the most pleasure/money/satisfaction or whatever.

Fair play to him though, he seems like a decent guy and lipswitch was a killer record back in the day.

10 Likes

Yea that makes sense, it’s almost a different form of artistic expression, more like sonic exploration than song writing.

2 Likes

I like ‘difficult’ music and believe there is a difference between difficult complex music and complicated nonsense. Of course I might just be a pompous cunt.

3 Likes

I wasn’t really bashing him, the guy knows his way around a studio, but no matter what he does some people lose their shit over it.

I think it is the same for a lot of high profile artists, I am sure sometimes they put shit out just to see what the reaction will be, for sure to the layman stuff like this can seem impressive, but most of the time, to people who know what they are doing it just looks like what it is, random nonsense :grin:

6 Likes

every demo he does sounds exactly the same, regardless of the instrument :rofl:

absolute chancer :smirk:

2 Likes

Modern art luvee :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Jackson Polkock was a proper artist with an intent behind the art, I don’t see / hear that in the guys videos. I think I just confirmed my pompousness-ness.

2 Likes

Started improvisation sessions with just perkons and a delay + reverb from the DB4. It’s this where it really really comes to life and what i hoped it would do well. And I’ve been getting a much brother range of sounds out if it because of all the modulations that stack up.

So I’m just going to take the leap and start performing live with it and simply improvise. Only have to decide which other instrument to bring. Probably digitakt and tone. I have a few radio shows I have to record something for and one that is a live stream so that will be a perfect way to test it and to get a bit comfortable in just having to wing it without much if any preparation.

Scared and stoked.

8 Likes

I’ve seen Richard Devine play live with a small modular setup and that’s literally is style. Pure chaos :joy: