Can Elektron please start selling MachineDrums again?

This. And analog (or beefed up digital) distortion.

4 Likes

I’d pre-order. I’m tempted with a MD as my next purchase even though the Octatrack makes more sense for me. Something about the MD

Uli is probably reading this - matter of a few month…

8 Likes

OT and MD are different. Both do their job very well and are great for improvising and just playing…
I do not like the DT as it forces you to make a kit and you are stuck with that kit as the paradigm of DT does not make it easy to change the drumkit while playing
The MD on the other hand… Just start with a kit, press two buttons and the beat goes into a complete other direction as you changed the kit… If you play around with the sounds and want to keep that, again press two buttons choose a new empty slot, save, name, voila… done…
No other Machine is that easy… and I do not understand why Elektron turned away from that.

2 Likes

I would do happily that and buy this MD thing from behringer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you play with sending MIDI notes to the MD and setting TRIG to “START” in the Map Editor?

Edit to add: as @sezare56 points out below, this is like DIRECT START on the AR (not DIRECT JUMP).

6 Likes

Wow, have to dig this. Not sure I fully get it right now. Thank you dear :bowing_man:

For sure it’s really great to use it live, the best maybe, but it can be a different machine/sound processor with some preparation and some midi translation (use as synth/polysynth) :white_heart:

1 Like

Lately, I’ve found the knobby interface of the M/S to also be good for improvisation.

Enough that I’m working out of a single pattern for the tunes I make with it.
Thanks to pattern reload, temp save, ctrl all, and fills, I can do a lot with one pattern and overcome the frustration that comes with the lack of kit browser.

And since it has 576 sample slots in a project, it feels like I can actually work with less preparation and forethought than MDUW or Rytm, or even OT.
Especially when I am getting deeper and deeper into a project.

Yea, it isn’t the same as MD. Each Elektron has its own quirks. And it is paired down.
It doesn’t have everything I want, but it sure has everything I need.

4 Likes

These threads are tiresome. I have a solution for Elektron though! Announce that all current products are “discontinued” but just keep producing them. That way, when the “Will elektron please keep making ___________” threads show up, they can magically swoop in and say “Why yes, yes we can!” and we can all go on about our business.

2 Likes

How about a hybrid Machinedrum + Monomachine in one box? 8 tracks, freely assignable to any of the original machines from those units. 12 voice polyphony with the newer fx engines out of the Digitone / Digitakt and Analog Heat filters. All the newer sequencer features and an extra set of stereo outputs. $1250 price tag. One can dream…

Polymachinedrum

4 Likes

Machinedrum was my first Elektron box, and will always be a personal favorite. Unfortunately I had to sell it to fund my Digitakt purchase, since I couldn’t afford to “just own both” as so many suggested. If I’m ever rich maybe I’ll be able to buy a used one again (probably for something like $1,500 by that point)

3 Likes

Very nice thing that makes me love MD since begening. I did that with MPC 2500 and produced lot of breakcore 10 years ago. Oh what a fun. Preparing my patterns and played them like slices. Lot o’ fun

4 Likes

Very low expectations of Elektron ever releasing an MD mk3, let alone MM or OT mk3, though if they don’t advance then it leaves an open space for another manufacturer to jump in, though I doubt Behringer could pull it off, or any other current company realistically. Maybe Korg if they adapted their Wavedrum and Oasys tech, or Clavia with the Nord Drum stuff.

FWIW, buying a second hand MD is a smart move… can’t see them becoming any less desirable in the future, as even if updated, I doubt it will sound the same or bring forward ALL the features it has. You have to like it’s particular audio quality though, which requires a bit of post processing imho. A bit fizzy and harsh in the top end is the only criticism I have of it.

2 Likes

that’s what I really like about it in the demos :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fair enough. It cuts through the mix which can be an advantage, and its a recognisable character.
Guess for me its a bit of love/hate. More noticeable with the synthesis than if using samples.
I found an exciter can brighten and round which has helped on occasion.

2 Likes

I really doubt that a new machine drum or octatrack will come ever…this would be awesome in general but it would effect negatively Elektron (or any other company) business. Product deflation would pass the idea that the same product will be reissued with better specs and price forever delaying the average “buying time” among consumers.

3 Likes

A wise statement. I personally am afraid to buy elektron gear because of this exact reason. I want some sort of guarantee that a mkIV UWXL+ version won’t follow right after.

1 Like

yeah, in my opinion for this reason the mk2 habit would be left behind at some point

2 Likes

Elektron, while you are busy making monomachines and machinedrums again, could you make the mk2 AR and A4 but in the MK1 chassis, oh and do the MK2 OT but in Black, and with round buttons please? That would be splendid. Thank you :kissing_closed_eyes:

3 Likes