Buying same gear a 2nd or 3rd time - why do that?

I have never repurchased a particular music making device, once sold. I guess that’s just the way I’m wired.

Old grey OT’s days are numbered! I was thinking about getting a black one but I can’t sell my current OT, I have a personal friendship with the particular grey unit I received. Maybe two OTs would be fun, but I feel like it would shatter my focus.

Go for it, ”two OTs” has been trending on Elektronauts recently anyway! (I’ve got two.)

Sorry if my comment didn’t help. :wink:

1 Like

Well if I did that, it would need to be another grey unit with cosmetic damage. Otherwise my current OT would get jealous.

2 Likes

This GAS thing is really getting a problem, we should have a dedicated AA subforum to kick the habit

A couple of threads here that work as ”meetings”. :slightly_smiling_face:

I actually think Elektronauts is probably as ”healthy” in this respect as a gear forum can be. Often when people ask if they should buy this or that, soon enough they get the reply ”don’t buy anything, spend more time with your current gear.” Still can’t help it, getting new gear every now and then is fun but getting too many new pieces in a short period of time just brings anxiety and is counterproductive in every possible way.

3 Likes

I’m on my second OP-1 and QY70. OP-1 was originally sold to buy a MD, which was then sold to buy an OT… and I’m thinking I’ll end up with a MD again when I have the money.
Not sure why I sold the QY… it’s so cheap yet sounds so great for that specific rompler sound. Anyway I have both again and will try not to get rid of them :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m close to doing this with my Behringer TD3, but will probably go with a different company’s clone due to controversy.

I go through phases where I’m just like “Ahhh I have way too much stuff!!” And I offload gear I haven’t used in 6 months. Most of that hasn’t come back as GAS later on though.

I’ve toyed with selling my A4 and DN recently, but I KNOW that in 6 months or a year I’ll want them back.

Thankfully I’m not in a position that I need the money but if that time comes they’ll need to go.

2 Likes

This reminded me that I’ve had the OP-1 twice as well and at some point would be interested in getting it for the third time. And the QY-70 I’ve had maybe three times already or four or five if you count the times I’ve had the QY-100 (which is basically the same anyway). I’d love to get either of those back too.

Yeah, that’s the worst. I’ve seen a related phenomenon to buying and selling the same piece of gear. My friend and I used to share a completely overpriced apartment in San Francisco and his prize instrument was a Rhodes Piano. Well he had to sell it to make rent. A few years later he got a real job and his first paycheck went largely to a Nord Electro. Life isn’t complete without an electric piano, but maybe being able to move it by yourself is worth a little inauthenticity.

1 Like

Well you know what they say about octatrack users…

3 Likes

To me, it’s all about getting the right gear at the right moment but sometimes the GAS is too hard to pass but at the end, you sell it.
This is what happened with me and the Octatrack. Now I got it back and I’m using way more than I did when I got it for the first time : I sequence my synths, Sample them, sequence the slices, I make loops, I midi CC my pedals and so on :slight_smile:

I once bought a second MS70CDR and then sold it once it felt redundant. I do sometimes think of buying a second(third?) again.

The other time was the A4. I bought a MKI when they first came out but it soon fell out of favour. Partly because the lack of separate outs but mostly because of where my synth abilities were at at the time.

I ended up trading it straight across for a monomachine when the monetary values were similar. I used it mostly as a dbox based drum machine to begin. When my synthesis skills improved I had a chance at a A4 MKII for a sweet deal. The hardware changes(larger led screen, separate outs and such)convinced me to jump on it and I am glad I did.

1 Like

I almost want to sell my minilogue XD just to get the module version instead and save even more space. :upside_down_face:
I love the sound of it but I think I’m coming to terms with the fact that I’m not great with keys and that I can sequence it with other stuff anyway.

1 Like

I’ve had 4 SP-808s so far!

First one was my first piece of HW and made a ton of music with it. Was really focused and quite enjoyed the process. Sadly I lost it to a pawn shop due to poor financial choices.

Bought the second one because I thought I missed the workflow - turns out it was a PITA compared to using a DAW and the Zip drive limitations started to bug me.

Bought the third one because I was getting kinda tired of the same-same process of writing with a DAW and wanted to get back to my roots. Still didn’t work for me. Bought and purged a lot of other gear around the same time.

Bought the 4th during an acute wave of nostalgia. Was also hoping that someone might finally crack the Zip replacement puzzle. Actually had a lot of fun with it this time around but my bedroom was way too small and any permanent gear setup felt claustrophobic.

Sometimes I think about getting a fifth one but not until I can get my time and space limitations sorted.

1 Like

I have done same with electribe ER1 and if sh01 had not had come out I’d be on that too, also want my MC 202 back, sold a VCS3 Synthi and I actually do NOT miss that!!

I’m currently waiting for my third Minitaur to come in the mail. I sold the first one because I got a Sub 37 (which I later sold). Sold the second one because I got a Boomstar 5089, which I still have and am in love with. But strangely I miss the Minitaur’s integration with the app, accessing the modulation that’s under the hood, and that particular Taurus sound that I can’t quite get anywhere else. It’s such a fun little box! I’m promising myself NOT to sell it this time.

Made me laugh reading your account…I used to have one and its def got its charm.Jus looking at another one closing out this morning lol.Dont need it as ive got a 404 OG and well…its too big for what it is.Maybe…That zip drive “ |

Edit-i dont think it has pitching??or envelopes (?) but you can do some cool stiff mixing on the multi tracks and faders…

1 Like

Yah, you can change pitch on the sample itself or as an effect - expect the sound to get pretty degraded though. Which was part of the charm of the unit i.e. noisy digital sounding fx. Don’t remember anything bout envelopes, so prolly not.

Favourite thing about it was the 4-track. Used to record directly and cut & paste all over the place - got some rad drums doing that (no computer). First zip drive held up really well to that sort of thing and was actually pretty quiet. Some of the other ones were barely usable.

Always been tempted by the 404 but never pulled the trigger. Had a 555 for a little but sold it too - just wasn’t the same.

1 Like

There has a been a few “multiples” in my life as well. I have owned three mpc’s. Got a live soon after release and the os wasn’t finished, my finger drumming was more of a blasphemy than a developed technique and my mind and setup weren’t ready for it. sold, bought back a year later. And then replaced it with an X cause I fell in love with it.
Electribe Er-1 was my first drum computer. Sold it to get something “better”. many years later saw one for cheap. Had some nostalgic fun with it and sold unit nr 2 with a profit never to look back.
Also bought a SP 404 twice. First time ~I really liked it, but myy setup was very limited and got frustrated with not being able to record and monitor loops at the same time. many years later got another one. This time I had enough gear to compensate it pitfalls and still enjoy what I enjoyed the first time I owned it. now its here to stay.
Oh, and a jomox xbase as well. Got a 09 when I was young. Loved the sound, but felt too limited. Sold and always missed the sound. Also, I kinda always wanted a 999. So many years later got my 999 and I love it.
Also a kp3: looks so promising. Bought it twice cause on paper it looks good. but in reality the live looping isn’t working that well and the headroom is smaller than the brain of the average politician so I had to “vote” it out twice.
all in all I’ve always been buying and trying lots of gear. And I always looked at my gear as my savings account. You don’t loose money when you buy wise and at least ~I can enjoy my savings when my bank account is my gear list.

4 Likes