Bring back the days of the Analog Keys

Do kids even use hardware anymore? I feel like they all use laptops or the Launchpad app on their iPhone to play loops.

3 Likes

Me: 40, having tons of fun making techno bangers with these wonderful toys.

3 Likes

do not forget cracked software

2 Likes

17 Likes

I just saw a kid play a set, rocking a Moog Lil’ Phatty and guitar, to go with his laptop. Before him I saw a guy - who didn’t look much older - play a set on a Eurorack modular. So yeah, there are kids who play live w/ hardware.

About the only thing I have seen from old people on forums is surprise that younger people are into analogs and FM synths, which the old folks consider inferior to their beloved Yamaholand Motifantom workstations. Only certain oldsters of course - obviously not all of them.

These new boxes are fine, just lucky they didn’t make them like those ridiculous Volcas and boutiques

1 Like

“EDM” denotes formulaic commercial garbage and as such there is no “community”, just people making money by co-opting what came out of the underground scene, using commercial samples and a computer… Techno and house music existed well before some journalist came up with this term.

7 Likes

That’s one of my all-time favorite pictures. Originally I thought it was a clever photoshop but then I found YouTube footage of Oscar Peterson playing and talking about synths so maybe it’s real?

Sorry for the vague question but any chance I was a student of yours? (You’ll know what that means if so)

i love the “classic” form factor of elektron boxes. they were already extremely portable and much smaller than other gear with similar capabilities. I never understood the need for the DT/DN form factor. I’d much rather have extra outputs and inputs and bigger screens on them, then I probably would have bought one already. i understand the sentiment of the OP but not the phrasing. I find age debates almost as silly as gender debates.

2 Likes

Very real indeed, Commercial/endorsement but still… Oscar Peterson was genuinely interested in electronic music and the gear.

Probably in another life ! :blush:

That‘s great, don‘t buy them. I find classic and new machines can happily coexist. I would love individual outs on all machines. UI wise the new boxes are not just a step, but a leap forward in my humble opinion.

4 Likes

As long as they don’t get any smaller I think we’re good. I can’t stand the sight of Volcas, Roland Boutiques and Teenage Engineering stuff. They should be sold with a pair of fine tweezers for operating the controls, and a roll of tape so you can fix them to the desk so they don’t get pulled down by a draft when you open a window. The TE stuff would basically get lost in my studio :joy:

1 Like

You can have so much DFAM fun in your dreams… (off-topic)

2 Likes

I really dig the form factor of the DT / DN… I also can’t afford the bigger boxes, so I make do with what’s available. Extra outputs and bigger screens (really?) are a luxury in this case.

Yeah…but a 100 presets of either dub techo or Tuss like sequences is not much better. Thats pretty commercial to me and targeting a certain audience. Sadly a lot of the youtube clips of DT are variations of these themes. But what do i know?

i don’t know if that means yes or no so i’ll let you be mysterious :slight_smile: (class of ‘01)

1 Like

bigger screens are a luxury for sure. individual outs are not. they are the decisive factor when I consider if I can make use of a piece of gear or not and and they are the main reason (apart from a lack of song mode) why I haven’t gotten any of these small boxes yet. anything that is any kind of multitimbral or has multiple tracks needs to have multiple outs otherwise I don’t see the point. It wouldn’t have hurt the portability much and it wouldn’t have made it much more expensive either.

2 Likes

Mind the fnords.

2 Likes