Bought a Mnm... Tell me what to do first

and watch your eardrums. the freaking monomachine can have quite harsh frequencies because of its digital character. i have a sudden deafness in my left ear since over a month after a 2 hours session with Headphones. i suspect the Monomachine as the causer of this. to bad that i’m too lazy to look for a Doctor.

1 Like

Ah yes I know what you mean. The sudden loss of frequency in the ears. Really frightening and the more you use headphones the more it seems to happen.

I’ve had to hit the stop key many times in succession before (I think you only need twice, but I was panicking) to stop some monster delay feedback. That stuff can get loud!

3 Likes

This “read the manual” advice is to the monomachine what the sentence “start with the greeks” is to philosophy.

Be patient :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very true… painful stuff… But somehow you know beforehand when you start pulling that feedback, but you can’t stop yourself… the pain of exploration: it’s you’re friend and worst enemy all in one.

Damn, I wish I could’ve listened to the whole track (I guess I’ll have to buy!) That was amazing! The chaotic (yet, in time) rambling of the synth, and that DRIVING kick. Wow, very inspiring! :thup:

I’m absolutely stoked about how this thread developed. Currently I’m on vacation and the Mnm still sitting at home, waiting for me to return. But boy do I get psyched every time someone posts in here. Can’t wait to get back and get going.

2 Likes

one of my fave things to do is with the bbox machine. I set up a hat sequence, my fav hat is the G#7, and then lfo the pitch, retrig, and retrig time controls. I set up a tri lfo for the retrig and and a itri lfo for the retrig time and a random lfo on the pitch. The result is some really cool hat rolls that can help a sequence become dynamic. sometimes ill even set all the lfo to random and let it ride for a while.

4 Likes

After, when you’ll have mastered some of the main possibilities of this machine, do not hesitate to load your own waves into it.

Quick demo of what I’ve done this afternoon using my own waves - processed in Serum.

2 Likes

trigless trigs to sequence the filter on a long held/release Ens machine is cool fun

1 Like

This Monomachine is really something! Very, very deep for sure and already had lots of fun with it. It perfectly complements my AR and does everything I thought it could.

But for some reason, I still find myself struggling with the AMP-Page and couldn’t figure this problem out yet: Why does the “Release” act normal, when I hit a note but not doing anything at all, when I run the recorded sequence?

I would Try setting the release to a shorter or longer time and see if that has an effect in the sequence. I would also check your hold time. Sometimes things behave differently when played live with the trig keys vs sequenced on the mono. I’ve noticed hold time is very important to control when grid recording.

1 Like

You have to insert a mute trig (note off trig? the yellow one) in order for release to take affect. The amp envelope on the mono takes some getting used to but it is really cool once you learn it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Didn’t know the terminology/ what to search for. Now I found this in the manual:

To enter a note off trig, press a [TRIG] key while holding the [FUNCTION] key. A Note
Off is indicated by a yellow LED. To remove a note off the same [TRIG] key
must be pressed twice

I just did that and it won’t work… I’m feeling really stupid right now lol

1 Like

SCRATCH THAT, IT WORKS NOW!

Thank you so much!

4 Likes

try exploring the Ens machine different factory waveforms. it is possible to upload User Waveforms, although the ones that arrive with the monomachine are completely awesome.

there is a setting to select “Just” tuning for the Ens machine; the current tuning of today’s system is a compromise to allow for instruments to not require retuning for different keys. Sounds similar yet somehow different …

also parameter-locking the different Ens machine chord pitches is fun … and doing rhythmical volume adjustments during the pattern via trigless trigs on the volume setting.

B-Box machine is super fun, explore the sound parameters and do realtime recording of parameter changes on a 4bar pattern.

the monomachine delay is pretty rhythmically creative.

3 Likes

Could you explain your method of creating your own waves in Serum? Or did you create waves in something else and then test them in Serum? Always good to hear how other people work!

I like using the exact ratios in combination with the semitone offsets, for nice thick chords. Having said that though, the exact ratio settings are great for super pure sounding chords! I kinda wish the monomachine had a just intonation/alternative tuning mode for regular notes as well…

2 Likes

i would like to play the B-Box machine via the Universal Audio stereo compressor/tube mic/line preamp, the La620.

or just via the regular stereo tube preamp, the 620, and then to a multiband compressor from X-Logic.

i would just like to play the monomachine in general.
such a deep machine, sold mine five years ago.
keen to buy another although the keyboard version this time around.

1 Like

Would be curious to hear more of a breakdown on that setup. That track is amazing.