Bought a Mnm... Tell me what to do first

Yeah so I got my hands on a Monomachine SFX60+ MK2.
What should I do first? Anything I should consider before and right after firing it up?

Hit me up with any suggestions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hate to be that guy but w Elektron reading the manual is a good place to start if you havent. The old Hanz getting started vids are probably still out there somewhere too.

10 Likes

Read manual. Watch and follow along with the product presentation video and workflow video. Listen to the default patches. Play. Have fun. Read manual. Play.

2 Likes

Yep… read the manual. :slight_smile:

And be patient. And feel free to ignore the factory presets, they’re not a very good guide as to what you can actually get out of the machine.

Also, go and get the free Immortal Waves pack from the Elektron site - IMO they’re a big improvement over the stock Digipro waveforms.

3 Likes

Yeah I probably have to print out all the proper names to the abbreviations. The manual is right up my ally. Never read the manual for the AR but the Mnm seems way more complex.

LFOOOOOOOOOOO’s

Load your own digiwaves

Plocks

Verrrry short delay times

Distortion

Voice emulation synth

Re trigger drum kit samples very fast

1 Like

Go on internet forums and post about it, first and foremost.

15 Likes

That is one cracker of an idea. I’m not sure though… Won’t that make me a potential target for cynics?

15 Likes

Take a week off of work.

15 Likes

Has anyone said read the manual yet? If not, READ THE MANUAL!

Then, READ IT AGAIN!

Then play with it.

THEN READ THE DAMN MANUAL OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

1 Like

Tweak the shit out of it! Sleep, tweak some more! Eat, sleep tweak!

2 Likes

already loving this thing. I’m taking the best of both worlds: tweaking stuff and looking the parameters I don’t know/ understand up in the manual.

1 Like

something the manual doesn’t say is that individual volume (the one that is possible to p-lock) settings are at unity gain around midday.

any further past 12’o’clock and there is extra gain applied to the volume.
this is okay but it might not be what you want for a sound.

each machine loads with a default highest possible setting for that Vol parameter, so, i would suggest the best thing to do is turn the Master Volume up some way, and habitually reduce a machine’s individual Vol parameter back to midday after loading up a new one.

2 Likes

I never read the manual page for page, get the gear, just start jamming and use the manual everytime I come across something I want to achieve, best way to learn (for me anyway)…

Thank you!

1 Like

Make it swear. (Or cuss if you are American)

5 Likes

That phat pad

can’t paste on Android

rad!

Not as helpful as some of the other posts

(Taking a week off work- can’t compete with THAT!)

But my favorite aspects of that machine were P-Locking the filter for SID basslines, making crazy FM sounds- both p-Locking and LFO modulation, ALSO- most unique element that I’m hard pressed to find on any other machine- the FX on that thing act as an individual sound source. You can have the effect pan right while the source pans left- you can filter, add delay, distort and LFO auto-pan it. When you(or more specifically, i)think Elektron FX processor you(I) think Octatrack- but potential for Fx presented MonoMachine is definitely it.

2 Likes

Some of the less obvious things worth looking at in the manual:

Routing (needed for understanding how to use effects tracks)

The snapshot system (similar to projects in analog rytm, I think.) There’s a ‘fast change snapshot’ option that you can use to switch between projects, but there’s an important setting (under the +drive options in the global setup menu, I think?) about whether to auto-save the old snapshot when you change. I lost a lot of early Machinedrum work not understanding this setting!

As others have suggested, download the soundpacks / wavetable banks from Elektron’s web site. You’ll want to know the ‘fast snapshot change’ option and the config settings before you get too far into making your own stuff so you don’t accidentally lose work!

2 Likes