Boston synth culture?

Hypothetically, if I were to move to the Boston area, is there a good synth culture there?

Looking for good shops, social events, etc.

wish i could tell you. there’s a lot of music happening up here, especially with berklee and all the other colleges. some of the clubs haven’t survived the pandemic. i don’t know much about the scene or good shops, since i’m just a middle aged dude getting into this stuff pretty late. if you hear anything, post up.

2 Likes

I moved out of Boston before the pandemic, but yes there was quite a lot of synth stuff going on. Lots of MIT Media lab synth nerds, Berklee music synth department stuff, mass art SIM program stuff, basement shows, meetups. For a while there was a place called MMMMaven that would teach DJ classes. Theres the MIT swap meet that you used to find obscure synth stuff at. There is a long running drum n bass night called Elements at Pheonix Landing (its sort of a dive but the vibe is good if your into that kind of thing). No shops that I remember, but lots of events. Boston is a strange city though, It’s generally sort of lacking in “unmediated by some institution” culture.

3 Likes

this seems cool, though i just learned about it, and it’s this coming weekend.

elektron and ableton reps will be there. the syntakt features prominently in sessions.

3 Likes

See my post in the East Coast Elektronauts thread.

3 Likes

Just here to give Elements a shout out! They’ve had non-stop drum n bass ever Thursday for like 2 decades! I started going there in 2006 or so. I’ve seen top notch artists there from around the world… Too many to list actually. I don’t live in Boston anymore, but when they started streaming it over twitch during the pandemic, I started listening in. Elements is the one music-related event I miss the most about Boston (Cambridge, but close enough).

I can’t say much about synth culture there though. It probably exists, but I don’t know any people at Berklee anymore.

1 Like

You’ll find that most of the indie musical instrument shops in Boston are very guitar-focused. There are two Guitar Center locations, so if you need to try out the new Roland workstation or whatever you’re covered there. The only place I can think of that deals in modular is SynthCube out in Waltham, and they’re very focused on DIY modules.

2 Likes