Blokas Midihub

Ah Yeah suspected that. I wish that more devices would have the option to use the MIDI protocol for config.

Will have to use DIN first and later might hook it up to a switch if needed.

Thank you!

midi is very inefficient to use for configuring devices - also you really have to use sysex and that has its own set of issues.

also in this particular case it probably wouldnā€™t help much.
the MH actually exposes 5 usb device ports , 4 midi + 1 used for the editor protocol.
but the mioXM does not support multi device ports , so even if that 5th port was using midi - the mioXM still would not expose it :frowning:

really iConnectivity should fix thisā€¦ they support multiple ports on the ā€˜DAWā€™ side, so its not as if they donā€™t know that devices can expose multiple ports.

its a really annoying limitation on the mio series (and i guess other iconnectivity midi hubs), as it keeps pushing you towards the 16 midi channel limit.

oh, and Squarp should take note tooā€¦ it similarly should be exposing multiple ports on Pyramid!

Yeah then again there really isnā€™t a huge amount of data required so MIDI is enough.

I config/sync the BIG SKY as well as the TC M350 with out any issues over MIDI DIN, which i would also do with the MH if i was given the option. This removes the need for hooking it up to the computer to begin with.

Got the MH today after UPS being UPS and taking foreverā€¦

Solid little box, albeit with its limitations. Hooked it up to the computer for configurations, and to my mioXL via DIN for actual use.

My plan is to use it as an external effect box, and from my initial test that seems to work without any problems.

1 Like

Initial thoughts after playing a few hours with the MIDIHUB

Build/Hardware
Very nice, clean, and simple yet sturdy. Like it has some heft to it opposed to some other small midi boxes made of plastic.

I do wish the preset button was on the top or front though. They could also have labeled the ports on the box itself to correspond to the lettering in the editor.

Software Editor
Been working quite well, 1 odd crash (OSX Catalina Imac 5k) but in all relatively fast once you get the hang of it.

Do wish they separated the inputs and output, and preferably labeled them sources and destinations instead.

I do miss the feature to rename your ports, to help you know whatā€™s connected to what.

Connectivity
The 4 in/out is nice but for larger setups, you will have to stack these.

Lack of USB host might be a dealbreaker for a dawless setup if you plan to use this as your sole midi router.

Two USB ports would have been nice, one for the editor and one for connecting it to a master midi router. Or connecting two MIDIHUBS together.

Usefulness
This little box does not replace a midi router like my mioXL, which has 10 USB host ports, 32 presets a pile of DIN ports, rack-mountable, etc.

BUT it is a perfect companion to it!

It canā€™t be overstated how versatile this little box is!

Anyone who uses MIDI on a regular basis needs one, period!

I promise you will make use of it in one way or the other. Even if you disregard all the creative possibilities, just as a tool to split youā€™r keyboard or channel remapping etc itā€™s really powerful!

Price/Value

I paid 147ā‚¬ with express shipping (no VAT) which in my opinion is a bargain, considering the build, and the capability of this box.

Will probably order a second unit, just to have for experimenting!

7 Likes

Blokas has 11 of these in stock currently, if anyoneā€™s interested? Thought Iā€™d share as they didnā€™t announce it via email like they did with the last batchā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking about buying a second one already :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I finally got to setup my MIDIhub which I bought a while ago. My setup is:

As inputs, the keyboard/wheels from a Sub37, pads from Nord Drum 3p, Digitakt MIDI out and a digital piano

Outputs go to the Sub37, the ND 3p, a Blofeld, and the Digitakt on the Auto Channel

Switching from 4 presets. I play either of the 4 outputs with any of the inputs, which is great. I love being able to either play the Blofeld with the Sub37 keyboard, or a digital piano, depending on what Iā€™m after.

On all 4 presets, the Digitakt sends MIDI to all other devices so its sequences just play.

Beautiful box!

The

3 Likes

I saw your post earlier today and told myself to get this thing up and running. Sometimes I kind of stop myself before even trying, this looks to complicatedā€¦gosh do I neef to read all of this to understand all the wonderful possibilities and so on.

But i pulled my socks up and after a couple of failures I got the hang of it and made a preset that suited my needs. Very happy with this box and after breaking it in, I got more ideas for uses and courage to try new stuff out.

5 Likes

I just got this the other day! Basic set-up is really easy thankfully. Now Iā€™m going to try doing midi loopback for the DT.

1 Like

Has the price dropped on this? Not bad if you ask me.

I have two questions about the midihub.

• Iā€™d guess thereā€™s people using the midi clock as master. How is it? Anybody compared it to erm multiclock? Does it work good as master with a daw.

• I have ordered a touche se, which as I understand has 4 preconfigured cc values. I was thinking of maybe using the midihub to convert the cc values to the values I need on the synth. I bet it can do this easily. Anybody using this combination?

1 Like

I donā€™t think so ā€“ looks to be the same as the price I preordered at, I think. Itā€™s definitely good value! Built like a tank too, and even has a power switch :laughing:

Iā€™ve not tried using it as clock master so canā€™t comment on that.

It can definitely remap MIDI ccā€™s. That said, the touche SE only has USB out AFAIK, and the MIDIhub is not a USB host, unfortunately, so youā€™d need a host.

1 Like

Thanks man. Was thinking of going out of a different midi device into the midihub, then out to the synths. Should work that way. Cool stuff, cause then Iā€™m thinking of configuring a per midi channel setup. That way Iā€™d have presets basically.

1 Like

Yep that should work! Iā€™m actually thinking about getting a Touche myself ā€“ one of the things Iā€™ve found about the MIDIhub is now that I have it, I keep thinking fo more ways to use it creatively :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been meaning to test the clock as master clock since I recently went ITB for all my sequencing. When I get around to trying it, Iā€™ll be sure to let you know how it goes!

1 Like

That would be great petajaja. If it works good this box would tick a lot of boxes for me

Havenā€™t used clock as master, but itā€™s range is 30 bpm - 286-ish?

Bpm goes up in twos with CC, you have to use a tempo divider pipe to get to odd numbered bpms, but that only gets you as far as about 157. Bit awkward but iā€™m sure theyā€™re working on it

May as well crosspost this, was in a feature envy thread but no one seemed very interested. Essentially I did an exercise in making a triggerable MIDI sequencer with midihub:

• MIDI channel (eg 1) on OT into midihub
  • use ā€˜dispatcherā€™ pipe to send each sequential note to a different (virtual) MIDI channel
  • insert CC#17 (playback param #2 STRT/SLC) after NOTE ON
  • using virtual IO, make a separate pipe for each channel, and scale the CC message (127 / 16)
  • remap the channels to an output channel (eg 2)

What this allows you to do is play notes on an OT MIDI channel to trigger a sixteen step MIDI sequence. Thatā€™s the basic gist of it, but you can go off the rails from here. You could have unique values or CC LFOs for retrig, LFOs, FX, crossfader, and scenes per step. And then thereā€™s OT arp to put on top if ya like.

I found itā€™s much more reliable to insert most messages after NOTE ON to set up the next trigger than try and get them in for the current one. You can set up CCs for most internal settings on midihub, so you could use OT to control things like whether to filter the MIDI notes, change the output MIDI channel, or to activate randomizers, orā€¦

I can share the basic patch if anyone is interested. Also, iā€™m pretty sure blokas will probably come out with a sequence pipe and make all this redundant. But yeah, Iā€™m gonna think about how to use this in the meantime. Iā€™m probs gonna need a lot of masking tape or an ec4ā€¦

3 Likes

I just ordered an electra one to complement my midihub, I find it more convenient compared to masking tape. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you put the patch on PatchStorage?

Thanks.

1 Like