Blokas Midihub and Digitakt

Just wanted to share here that I just got my Blokas Midihub. In a nutshell it’s a programmable 4x4 + usb midihub (details: https://blokas.io/midihub/ ). So, this is where it gets interested: this thing allowed me to very, very easily program it so, that I can play my Digitakt as a polyphonic sampler, for example with my master keyboard. Basically just load the same sample or cycle on many channels and program this thing to take every note played in so, that it maps them to those channels separately on DT. This will most likely inspire me so damn much and open cool new possibilities. For me this feature alone already makes it worth it and I haven’t even scratched the surface. :slight_smile: So yeah, just wanted to give the community a heads up, that something like this exists. Oh, and this thing is build like a tank, just like my Digitakt. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Mine is on its way to Australia. Can’t wait to roll some crazy midi pipes…

Sounds awesome, i have signed up for notification when it will become available for the masses.

It’s a bit small, for my use, do you know if it can be implemented in larger midi network ?

No idea about that, sorry. I guess you could ask their forums about that. One of the Blokas devs is super active there, replying on Midihub (and MODEP) questions all the time.

1 Like

Yeah, my next mission is to try to execute a pipe shich would allow me to play my Volca Drum so, that every key on my keyboard would translate a correct latched pitch value. Not sure, if it’s possible atm though. I’ll maybe try to ask about it first on Blokas forums. It’s just that Volca Drum is able to make so damn awesome bass sounds, BUT it doesn’t allow, at least yet, midi-notes, which is a HUGE missed opportunity from Korg. But they added a latched values for pitch (firmware update), which latch the pitch values to notes, so with this thing it could be possible, maybe. :slight_smile:

Ok, a small update about the Volca Drum keyboard playability I planned above: it was dead easy to achieve once I just found out which pipe to look at (Transform pipe). Now I can indeed play my Volca Drum with keyboard, which is just… plain awesome!

1 Like

Still waiting for mine to be send. You have just increased my already high HYPE :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Do not forget the midi loopback capabilities. I am sure there will be some pipe chains that will push this trick to its limits without feedback errors or data overflows.

I’m interested in learning how to program my Midihub so that I can connect my midi out of the Digitakt to control a SE-02, a TD-3 and two volcas. How do I start to learn how to config this?

You could try something like this:
FROM MIDI (A) -> To Virt (A)
From Virt (A) -> CH Filter (Channel 1 UN-selected) -> TO MIDI (A)
From Virt (A) -> CH Filter (Channel 2 UN-selected) -> TO MIDI (B)
From Virt (A) -> CH Filter (Channel 3 UN-selected) -> TO MIDI ©
From Virt (A) -> CH Filter (Channel 4 UN-selected) -> TO MIDI (D)

This should map your Digitakt’s Midi Channel 1 to Midi Out A, Midi Channel 2 to Midi Out B and so on. Hope this works. Might be, that you need to use CH Remap instead of the filter… I can’t really test it myself atm as my setup configured in a way that testing, if what I wrote above really works is not possible for me atm.

Bunch of tutorials at the bottom of this page.

Hello!

I have my own Midihub now, and my first goal is to connect a Digitakt to the Midihub and start to experiment with LFOs, and adding them to a Digitakt pattern’s tracks & FX.
LFOs generated by the Digitakt itself through midi loopback, and LFOs generated by the Midihub.

This seems like a cool Elektronauts thread to chart that progress, perhaps?
If not, @tomikoo can let me know please, thanks!

been using my MIDIhub to self gen some ez ambient with a pair of XFM2s and its very good

1 Like

Hi there,
I read about some issues of users here setting up the DT with keyboard synths in a smart way. Let me show you what I did to get a minimal setup where I can play every device with every device using the Blokas Midihub:

The trick is to send all CC messages back to the synths and only messages of playing (note on/off, pressure, after touch - ok my synths do not have aftertouch…) to the DT. Out of the DT I used channel filters, because I don’t want to have all synths to react on messages of the global channel, only the Nord Drum for program change. The synths have to be in Local Control Off mode (there may be a different name for that on other devices) and send and receive CC and PgrCh messages.

In this setup I only have to choose the track that I want to play on the DT and can play this with the drum pads of the Nord Drum, the keyboard of the Nord Lead or the trigger button of the DT.

I don’t need an extra master keyboard or trigger pad for this.

…Oh, and don’t use MIDI through of the DT in any way here…

The principle to play everything with everything should be the same for other and more devices.

5 Likes

Sorry to bump an old thing but hopefully a quick yes / no answer.

Trying to cut cables out for a portable set up and wondered if I could get the Digitakt USB B to the MidiHub USB B with a cable or if this breaks usb rules. Ideally to power the MidiHub as well as use its usb midi inputs / outputs.

Love my midihub and use it for dozens of over the top things (need two or one with more inputs / outputs!) but for this portable setup would be lovely to just plug it directly into the Digitakt and hugely cut down on cables.

Pretty sure the USB port on both devices is for connecting to a host like a computer or hub. Don’t think that would work for you. Maybe I’m wrong though.

1 Like

Yeah, figured as much. Even power would be enough to be useful.

Hopefully future Elektron boxes will include a USB host port, would be really nice.

2 Likes