Blofeld love

I don’t have a Blo just yet but do have the Pulse 2; one thing I’ve found that will unleash the beast within is using the I-Pad App Patch Morpher with my P2. They have setting for the Blofeld as well, highly recommended! Nothing like being able to dial into sounds by hand, almost like tuning a radio!!

I was looking at a Blofeld a while back ago now… is it safe to buy one these days? All I remember reading/hearing about them were the terrible bugs. The synth has always intrigued me and I keep wanting to see it on my desk. Me thinks it is plunge time, perhaps. :joy:

1 Like

I’ve had one for a few years and it’s great. The 1.15 firmware fixed a lot of problems, but it still has some quirks. I’m not convinced the usb midi implementation is the most stable but oh well. It makes incredible sounds and is a very deep rabbit hole of synthesis. I do wish it had some more i/o however.

I bought mine used (desktop version) and it doesn’t have the SL license. I’ve been debating buying the license for ages, but never seem to get around to it. Does anyone else think it’s worth it?

All in all an amazingly robust synth for the price. Feed a few midi loops into multi-mode and you’ll lose countless hours. I do love it!

I have a microQ and have considered the Blofeld many times… and still I read about midi sync issues with the arpeggiator on the web, so it must be true! :)…

is this the case still?.. if I cannot reliably midi sync arps then it loses a lot of attraction…

i would say: if you have some money you can spend on it, just grab one :slight_smile:
it’s a good synth, not the best, but for the price it’s well worth it (if you can keep up with some of the quirks it comes with)
i’ve been thinking about selling it for few times now but every time i look at it i always think about what i can do with it. in that tiny box you get the XT, Q, uWave and it’s based on the PPG synth so there’s a lot there to play with
the sample license is not a must, you can’t do much with the sample but still, is a good thing to have (would have been definitively better if it came free with it…)
having only MIDI in is a bit of a limitation but the way i look at it is just thinking that it’s a sound module, no more no less
the thing i really miss, is the ability to process external audio but other than that, it’s a good machine, worth trying it out

yes, the arp is still buggy on the first step. I actually have both and must add mint that the Blo covers some ground that I can’t get to with the mq (wavetables). For example, I have been working on recreating some of the sounds from the PPG soft synth on it. Really though, back to the arp, if I am going to be controlling with the OT, I’m not going to miss the arp. Plus, I was experimenting the other day and if you don’t put anything on the first step, it seems ok. Need to play with that a little more though… Rabbit holes indeed.

I’ve been GAS’ing for a Blofeld for a long time, but I also have held off due to all the bugs I read about. From what you guys have said, it sounds like the bugs aren’t too terrible to deal with though. Good to know!

As Elektron users we should all be used to working around a few little bugs (no offense to Elektron intended) :wink:

I too have had my eye on the blofeld for a while now. But if I can’t sync the LFOs to incoming midi clock, then it’s a no go for me.

How is it these days?

I would be using the midi port for clock sync, not the usb port. I see you can get factory refurbs online for $430. Thinking about picking one up. I think I’m finally getting bored of my korg radias.

? you can absolutely sync the LFOs to MIDI.
anyone try the new firmware yet?

1.21 was on the waldorf site earlier today with no changelog. It has since disappeared… the saga continues…

Just picked up a secondhand blowfeld. It’s syncing nicely! It does pop and click if you adjust tempo. This shouldn’t effect my use of it though. I’m mainly sampling it to either Live or the OT. I’m really liking it so far.

The SL option is imho a must. It is expanding the sound palette of the Blofeld even further.

Just watch this: http://youtu.be/4yxvDWoU670

Have a look here for 1.21

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8wc0apxmfipqo2c/Blofeld+v1.21.mid

1 Like

The pops and clicks are the delay most likely. It does that when you adjust the time. I have a Studiologic Sledge and it does the same thing.

wooohh…thanks goseba, i’m still on 1.15b :expressionless: will need to upgrade then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

yep, having some samples on the Blo really makes it even more powerful, thing is (well, at least on the older OS) you don’t have much control over the sample itself but i think it’s a bit like the AR: it’s a bonus (well, with the Blo you have to pay for it… :dizzy_face: ) so probably better than not having it…

Mine’s full of mellotron samples, totally fab little thing.

1 Like

wooohh…thanks goseba, i’m still on 1.15b :expressionless: will need to upgrade then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [/quote]
A pleasure.

Sold my Blofeld last year to fund my A4. One day I may well get another but I still try and stay up to date on what is happening with them.

yep, having some samples on the Blo really makes it even more powerful, thing is (well, at least on the older OS) you don’t have much control over the sample itself but i think it’s a bit like the AR: it’s a bonus (well, with the Blo you have to pay for it… :dizzy_face: ) so probably better than not having it…[/quote]
I think that video is very significant. It shows that the true power of the samples is coming up with weird stuff using the sample as a FM modulator. As you point out, it is not truly a sampler. It handles loop points, but you can’t modulate them. Or the start point of the sample. FM is the key. I didn’t really see the power of the sample option until I saw that video.

1 Like

BTW, 1.22 is available new. Haven’t seen a changelog yet though.

1 Like