Blofeld love

yes, the arp is still buggy on the first step. I actually have both and must add mint that the Blo covers some ground that I can’t get to with the mq (wavetables). For example, I have been working on recreating some of the sounds from the PPG soft synth on it. Really though, back to the arp, if I am going to be controlling with the OT, I’m not going to miss the arp. Plus, I was experimenting the other day and if you don’t put anything on the first step, it seems ok. Need to play with that a little more though… Rabbit holes indeed.[/quote]
yeah last i checked the arp lagged by 10ms so it never sounds quite right,

From the Blofeld Facebook group,

“Fixed: Update/downgrade now possible… should also upgrade from 1.21 to 1.22 without rescue file, jumping volume, some other value optimizing, multi mode single bank now available, oscillator common unisono now switchable, system optimizing. For all BloKey owner: Now you can play a single “Part” with the keys. Changing the Global MIDI channel will change the Part. Omni will play all parts at the same time, so you can use this for layer sounds.”

Also, from same source: “1.22 should be the last now, its on the server for official download. Bugfix list will follow next week.”

1 Like

that’s good news! i thought the blo would have been left in a dark corner…well, at least waldorf hasn’t forgotten about it :slight_smile:

purchased a blofeld last week - absolute hell !
low volume on outputs
skipping encoders
delay when turning knobs
Mac didn’t recognize USB
horrible encoders

horrible user interface

returned the thing and ordered an analog keys on special - brilliant
thanks Waldorf for a piece of shit that ultimately pushed me to get an analog 4 keys!!

be afraid, very afraid of any Waldorf product!!

Purchase a Novation Nova instead of if you want to make pads

huh?
analog 4 keys will just do nicey for pads, thanks

btw my Waldorf pluse 1 went to the Waldorf graveyard (this actaully exists) some yrs ago joining all the rotting Q+ and micro q corpses and I guess now it is decomposing with all the blofelds! ha

Rank, got demos of Novas pafs or some examples?

Its on my “check it” list, so id appriciate that.

I’ll add some love for the Blofeld as well!

A good box for the money IMO. I should upgrade to the new OS, heard the encoders behave better with the new update?

I warmly recommend the momstrumfeld editor for creating/editing complex patches. Without it I never really clicked with the UI.

Finally a hardware synth that can pull off some of my favourite uhe zebra2 patches <3

Still on the fence about the SL licence tho, IIRC the licence is not mandatory for uploading your own wavetables, only for the 3rd party soundpacks??

I own one of the first Blofeld Keys. It has Wobbly skippy knobs.
The latest OS worked really well and most of the skipping is gone now.
I am a long time Waldorf fan but the Blofeld for me is a love hate relationship.
Lately I have been working with the randomize function. This has given new life to the unit. Nothing in my setup can quiet capture the sounds the Blofeld can make if you work backwards from a randomized patch.
The keys are great and there is also a large area on the right much like the Nord lead where you can rest the Monomachine if you are tight for space. So I use it as my main midi controler. Blofeld Love!!!

i also give some love for the blofeld.
i really really dig those with the additional sample licences
i used mine mostly with a vst control, but now i use it mainly as source for pads and chords via the octatrack

interesting … my Blofeld blows everything away, although i always turn down the oscillator-volume …
the Blo has a very dense sound

1 Like

I sold it 2 years ago to fund Elektron gears. I cannot record demo for you.
I got Blofeld, Nord Rack 2 and Virus B. Good machines but Nova stays in my memory as the most poetic one. Most limited than the others in some ways (not very good to make synth bass IMO) but for pads, arps and keys… Simply Magic.
Simple machines, good effects, powerfull arpegiator, vocoder, audio inputs, etc…
I try to find another one again. Prices are between 200 and 300 euros.
As i have OT and A4 i plan to control it with OT and warm up it (if neccessary) through A4 imputs.
Most of demos on web are psy / trance which is a shame. The Nova is made for poetry.

Correct. You don’t need SL to upload user wavetables. It is needed only for 3rd party soundpacks that require SL. And even then, you would be able to load the sounds and change the osc shape to something else.

1 Like

Yes, the demos on YT are awfull… poetic is a synth im looking for.

I sold my Minitaur to get some digital poly… i checked the x-station. People say its a toy controller but to me the demos sound very organic (even some good drones)… Any expiriences?

I found also nice price for Blofeld, but i need the hands on synth… Dont have trouble programming A4 but if Blo is even harder then its a big no-no… i need something to relax my mind :slight_smile:

if you want to upload samples/your own samples, then the SL license is something you need, other than that, won’t make much difference if you won’t be using samples

Everything the x-station do, the nova can do better

Just installed OS 1.22, great! This removed strange knobs behavior which I attributed to faulty hardware, but now everything works properly. Haven’t been using the Blofeld for a year or so, but it sounds so creamy, airy, pristine, it’s just awesome. Very different to my Minitaur, obviously, which I primarily use hp-filtered for lead/arp/chord duties, and also very different to the A4.

Blofeld and Strymon El Cap together are a great pair, in particular when choosing a low headroom, high modulations setting on the El Cap, because it saturates the rather ‘thin’, sharp sound of the Blo.

Necro-Bump!

I’m looking hard at a Blofeld desktop now. Primarily to make full use of my MonoMachine’s midi sequencer.
Since learning that the 60MB sample option allows for larger waveforms (like drums and such), this seems like a great partner for MonoMachine. The BBOX is great and all but a bit limiting, even after hitting the p-lock limit to make it sound good. I think I’d rather dedicate that MnM BBOX track to a compressor FX track fed by the Blofeld. Drums and pads and glitches. Used prices are great these days.

Anyone sequencing Blofeld with MonoMachine?

a cup of coffee
to be honest, the Blo has very special sound-identity
digital crisp on the edge and sometimes super-clean, sometimes without a soul …
i can produce some very strange sounds out of it but… maybe it has to do with my very own sound-ideas or a lack of sound-designing-skills for standard-sounds
i can do whatever i want… the sounds don’t sit very well in a mix exept for strange FX … but for trance-like pads i would prefer the MicroQ (sounds more organic to me)

Totally feeling the same vibe for several months now, on all points mentioned. I used to own both instruments at the same time, but squandered the opportunity to make them play as one. We live and learn.

Right now, I’m saving up for a MnM again, as a partner for the MDUW. Beyond that, a keyboard for poly mode, and some kind of mod wheel and/or joystick. Then comes the Blofeld.[/quote]
Will be a powerful combination.
Check out the xiosynth for your kb/mod/stick needs.
Affordable, two flavor a (25 or 49 key), and a solid “Nova” style poly synth on its own.
All your digital bases will belong to… you?