Blofeld love

I’ve always been kind of curious about picking one up, but besides having a physical interface, I have a hard time seeing advantages over Nave. What am I missing?

Unfortunately, the MnM’s DigiPro Wave tickles my wavetable itch, and between the MnM, the OT, and the OP-1 I have pretty much everything the Blofeld can do for me covered. I know the Blofeld can load user wavetables, too, and a few other things…

Although, I think the Blofeld can also do weird/freaky/possibly awesome shit like wavetable FM or something, yeah? And FM with loaded samples.

It’s kind of “that synth I love to love” but the MnM edges it out in versatility for me (and the OP-1 can handle poly synth duties for my needs), and I’m limiting myself to the OT’s inputs only. Music is a secondary hobby and I can’t justify four grand+ in hardware if I’m being honest with myself lol :slight_smile:

Still, it and the Pulse 2 are awesome bed partners, imo.

Sure.

Thinking about ordering some rubber knobs from Elektron for my Machinedrum and Monomachine, and I’m pretty sure those knobs will fit the Blofeld as well, love the feel of those, so might order some extra for the Blofeld, although these plastic ones does a decent job as well.

Sure.

Thinking about ordering some rubber knobs from Elektron for my Machinedrum and Monomachine, and I’m pretty sure those knobs will fit the Blofeld as well, love the feel of those, so might order some extra for the Blofeld, although these plastic ones does a decent job as well. [/quote]
the knobs from elektron will fit but are shorter than the one you’ve got on the blofeld.the only ‘drawback’ is that the gap between the base of the knob and the enclosure will be a bit more visible (elekton’s are 15mm high,the one you’ve got are 20mm)

Sure.

Thinking about ordering some rubber knobs from Elektron for my Machinedrum and Monomachine, and I’m pretty sure those knobs will fit the Blofeld as well, love the feel of those, so might order some extra for the Blofeld, although these plastic ones does a decent job as well. [/quote]
the knobs from elektron will fit but are shorter than the one you’ve got on the blofeld.the only ‘drawback’ is that the gap between the base of the knob and the enclosure will be a bit more visible (elekton’s are 15mm high,the one you’ve got are 20mm)[/quote]
Yeah, I imagine them being a bit too short. Worth a shot though. :slight_smile:

Sure.

the knobs from elektron will fit but are shorter than the one you’ve got on the blofeld.the only ‘drawback’ is that the gap between the base of the knob and the enclosure will be a bit more visible (elekton’s are 15mm high,the one you’ve got are 20mm)[/quote]
Yeah, I imagine them being a bit too short. Worth a shot though. :slight_smile: [/quote]
here’s a wee shot of the desk version with an elektron’s knob

edit: for some reasons, the picture shows in the preview but not in the post…just checking i haven’t done something wrong

1 Like

mh…that’s weird…picture upload is not working at my end…

(working now… :neutral_face: )

Hmmm, i think i leave my Blokey as is. I actually kinda like the metal knobs. Have grown on me.

But thank you guys for posting the pics.

Regarding Mnm userwaves vs Blo wavetables…the Blo sound is of course sharing some ground with the Mnm, but can do sound also very different. It has this Waldorf sound.

absolutely :slight_smile: And different wavetables, filters, etc.

Instant love for my Blofeld. Problem is I got mine used and it has the output issue. No sound from the headphone jack and only mono on the stereo out plus the volume is low. I read somewhere this was a resistor that gets burnt out and needs to be replaced but I’m having issues finding more information on it. For now I’ve just been using it in mono with the mixer gain turned up a bit :thinking:

You suck at Google. I found a step by step repair guide in two seconds :stuck_out_tongue:
http://www.synthtalk.com/waldorf-blofeld-low-sound-repair/

1 Like

I’ve got BloKeys (black) the day before :slight_smile: I have that special place for Waldorf sound in my ears (already having Q Rack)… Blofeld, however, is not Q. The sound simply doesn’t have that impact and density, but - it’s still very, very good. Quite good PPG filter model, and, more important - it’s easier to program than the Q! Seems impossible, regarding sheer number of knobs, but matrix system and the display on Blofeld are really easy to operate with. Of course, there is no step sequencer like on mighty Q, but, nevertheless, it’s much easier to get BloKeys with MnM on stage than Q Rack, MnM and master keyboard, for about 85% of THAT sound… Blofeld is certainly quite good synth, very capable, even when using just one oscillator with both filters engaged (for instance, LP + Comb+ - very wide sound). I’ve got it used, for just 300 EUR, nearly mint - there’s no competition at that price point!

1 Like

300 for a black mint Blokey?? Whoa…and i thought i had a great deal for 450…well get those Blos, before the price sucks…scnr :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I still wonder if they will ever do the Stromberg…

I’m curious about this too.

Nave has one less EG and LFO. Two oscillators must be wavetable, and the third has an 8 wave 'überwave oscillator in addition to the classic waveforms and noise. Nave has one less filter per voice, Blofeld has more mod destinations, Blofeld has FM between the oscillators as well as sync, and filter FM. Blofeld has two drive stages to Nave’s one. Nave can record sounds to make new wavetables. Blofeld can play samples from it’s oscillators and use them for FM as well.

Probably some more things I’ve missed. But those are the big ones.

tl;dr - Blofeld has more EG, more LFO, more oscillator choices, more drive/distortion, samples, and has osc and filter FM.

2 Likes

I know you can do a lot of cool stuff with the modulations in the Elektrons, but fuck me! This thing. From another planet. Wow. I picked up a module a couple of weeks back for practically nothing. An absolute steal! These things are just amazing. Space-like organic entities. Been sitting here for hours just creating patches. Completely mesmerized.

1 Like

I have had one for a while and it really is a synth that has so many modulation options it puts it in a similar league as the elektron offerings (minus sequencing obviously). Most of the sound elements can be modified by CC, so they should be plockable from a OT or MnM. I haven’t invested the time to get too far into that yet though, but it is on my list.

Btw…Blofeld as a nice drum module:

Nothing cold about these patches

3 Likes