Blofeld love

It’s like the Octatrack, if you use it frequently, you know exactly who to Accsess a parameter on the quickes way possible. But I fully agree the gain is really a problem. In multimode i normally have up to 4-5 tracks depending on the track and the sounds I use. But I use it mostly in combination with other synths. Then you can create really complex pads etc…

For the „cheap „ price it’s almost unthinkable to get this synth with a decent amount of buttons while remaining the flexibility. Hope Waldorf makes another one, some day. Or at least a Quantum as Desktop expander/Module.

That’s awesome! I have to give it a try, thanks for posting this link! Never understood why the Virus/Nord Lead don’t allow custom wavetables. This makes the sound potential almost unlimited!

@Kari i think the old Q got the morphing-feature … with two patches on the Blo this should be possible in multimode including wise placement on the keyzone

hopefully Waldorf is going to release a Quantum-Offspring - not so expensive

1 Like

ugh, that main encoder went out on me too. thankfully, i had a friend who was awesome with a soldering iron and he replaced it with a nice replacement one i bought.

sadly the knobs on mine are glued somehow to the encoder-shaft, what a mess

i don’t think the effects are that horrible, the horrible thing is that they stop directly when you tweak the delay and reverb time but one they’re set they do the job

been tweaking the modifiers, thats powerfull modulation, never tweaked them before tonigh,that’s awesome!

Oh another „tip“. If you have an analog synth that allows external input signal going through the analog filter, try it out. I did it with my Analog four and the results are pretty rewarding, and the reverb from the A4 is much better. I also did send the Blofeld output through the Virus and drowned it in effects and further manipulations… Waldorf please Blofeld II with higher sample Rate, and digital output Signal.
Or a downsized Quantum that doesn’t cost a fortune!

Where is Behringer when you need them? It’s the first time I want to see a Behringer Quantum clon for 399€ :wink:

1 Like

They call it “laptop”.
Seriously, this whatever hell of a machine is one of the most uninspired instruments I ever saw. It will share the fate of Hartmann Neuron and Alesis Fusion.

1 Like

This could happen, indeed. Last year I had saved up to get the Quantum, which was announced for the 4th quarter of the year … but then … nothing … even after NAMM 18 … later this year…

Waitng is not my favourite doing, so I researched for alternatives … wavetables, granulars, modal-synthesis … and came up with the following short-list:

• Waldorf wavetables - even user-wavetables: Waldorf “Blofeld”
  • granular synthesis: Tasty Chips Electronics “GR-1”
  • modal-like synthesis: some interesting modules for Eurorack like “Spectral Band Resonator” from 4m, or Mutable Instruments “Elements”.

Could it be that we can have Quantum in pieces for less then €2000,-. For me those eluminated knobs and a touch interface is … well … TBH … “nice to have” … but does this help me makeing better sounds and performing better on the instrument? :wink:

Back to topic … so I got the Blofeld last week :wink:

Hehe, I had similar thoughts. I don’t have a eurorack but I did calculate what it would cost to recreate the engines of the quantum. The result will be something that costs between 2500-4000 €, depending on the voice count and modules involved. But then you get a system that can be freely routed, with probably a lot more options as the Quantum(i‘m still very exited when the first in-depth reviews show up!). The cool thing is that a eurorack can be upgraded in a infinite different combinations. And you would have the ability to do FM synthesis too. I guess a alternative would be some semimodular synths(Behringer Neutron for 300 Bucks!) combined with a Blofeld and a „small“ Eurorack case, for a granular modul, and the modelling part.
I‘m still try to decide between Quantum, Yamaha Montage or a eurorack. I tend towards the eurorack, because it doesn’t make much sens to buy a new synth(in this cas with Keys) every time just for one or two new features. It’s like buying a New PC for every new software. The only thing that holds me back is the insane amount of money, with 4-5K i could travel around the world for months! Sitting at home and play with a synth, is what i can do when i‘m no longer able to travel.

EDIT: 2019 - I’m now the proud owner of a effing sweet eurorack system and a Yamaha ModX XD

I was excited to get wavetables, granular, and modal synthesis out of the box. I have some software and apps for this, but I prefer to put my hands on real gear. After the Quantum has been reviewed by experts, I will watch carefully and re-consider. But for the time beeing I have decided not to go all in and place a preorder. I had the finger already hover over the button last December, but I stopped it.

Anyway, I will compare the granular synthesis of GR-1 (€900,-) and Quantum (@4000,-). It could be that a synth, which is dedicated to one particular synth task only, may perform much better and be more interesting and inspiring than a “jack of all trades”. It would be not the first time in my experience :wink:

My opinion about analogue FM is that we should not compare this to a digital FM synth. The principle is the same, sure, but the sounds are very different. But we should discuss this in an other place.

@SoundRider personally i like combine granular with a layer of „normal“ synth voices. That’s something the quantum probably does very well. But the GR-1 is awesome, i’m Just not sure if it’s worth the money, since I have software for this too and I almost never use it. But we will see how the quantum turns out. I have to admit that i‘m a big fan of Waldorf. The prototype was already working on the NAMM 2017, they had a whole year to make it perfect, testing the unit and add some features. IMHO the GUI looks much better and responsive as last year. I have NAVE for the I-pad and I would love to have it in form of a hardware synth.
I’m secretly hoping that they make a desktop modul, that’s a little cheaper…

But to come back to the topic. Does someone has the SL upgrade or the Blofeld keys? I‘m really not sure if i should order it, since i already have samplers. I have heard some beautiful demos. How easy is the sample transfer? Can the additional memory be used for wavetables? Are the samples changing the pitch when you play it on different notes, and if so, how is the quality?

Blokeys has SL out of the box.

1 Like

Sample transfer is easy but slow. The real caveats being that you can’t transfer single samples, you have to transfer them all at once. Otherwise, no problem, your samples act as oscillators. You can even do multisamples or kits.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! It’s a shame you can’t transfer singles samples. If you play multiple notes, does the sample play for every single note? Was it easy to upgrade? I heard something about getting a box with just a key/password in it.

My finger already hovering over the order button for the upgrade :wink:

For wavetables the SL license is not necessary. Loading up user wavetables is for free. Wavetables 80 through 118 are ready to be used.

If you don’t need synth/sample combi-sounds on the Blofeld, why pay the extra money?

2 Likes

Yes i do know the wavetable part. The reason why ìm intressted in the sample function is only to create sounds that are combined with a sample. Like LA synthesis, where you put the sample to the start to simulate sounds that otherwise would be impossible. Of course the Blofeld isn’t a classic sampler/ i wouldn’t use it like that.

@acidhouseforall
Can the samples be manipulated like the other oscillators or are some things impossible, like using fm on a sample?

SL upgrade is half price one or twice a year - worth the wait or it seriously dents the value ratio - wish I had - the Sample side is as powerful as you might expect given the rest of it - but from a bi-directional editing perspective the interrogation of the device falls down - there’s no probing what’s added

I can’t remember just how flexible/extensive the sample manipulation side is, but it all sounded very convincing and lovely

1 Like

Thank you very much for the response! I just wanted to order, but now I will wait for a price reduction. That’s awesome to hear!
I wonder why there isn’t anything similar to the Blofeld (at least in this price range).
For me it’s already a classic :slight_smile:

If I have enough really good patches (at least a whole Bank full) I will post it here for others to download!