Blade Runner 2049

As long as they don’t end up having an end of the world cave rave like in the second matrix then I will be happy enough. That’s up there with the midclorians!

4 Likes

there’s your next album title

4 Likes

Cash me at the end of the world cave rave dropping midichlorians :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

Haha has to happen now!

Love District 9, Neil Blomkamp who did it was also supposed to be directing a new Alien film, although there’s doubt about it now.

2 Likes

watched Alien Covenant last night…
it’s trash, it’s dumb fun! I liked it a lot more than Prometheus. Fassbender is good. The retro soundtrack is good. The blood splatter stuff is good.

Really cannot recommend it without saying it’s capital letters TRASH. Taking it seriously will likely disappoint…

4 Likes

Haha. So did I and was about to post about it. My partner is out of town and after having played for so long I couldn’t hear anything anymore so I buckled and went.

Yeah the xenomorph/ blood splatter stuff was beyond anything Id seen in the canonical series (I haven’t seen any spinoffs). Fassbender is always good and two Fassbenders is so good. Beautifully shot.

And that’s about it. I did not enjoy it. Barely a story and what was there of a story was barely held together by erratic pacing. The strong female role (which has always been one of the series’ most radical elements) was barely there. It’s an Alien film in name only; its more a Prometheus sequel. More along the line of the formulaic turds coming out of Hollywood.

I think we’ve been inundated with so much garbage that our standards are so low and trash that’s halfway decent is now considered worthwhile. This goes for action movies in particular. Action movies do not always have to be trash (Mad Max, anyone?) and we should expect better. Xenomorphs anyway deserve better.

But I gave them my filthy money so who am I to talk.

1 Like

well said… think I’m only not disappointed due to weeks of mental training… reading all the reviews, imagining how it’s like Prometheus but even worse.

I decided to watch it and enjoy it whether it’s good or not, like a dumbass…

but damn… felt like leaving the theater right at the beginning… the scenes with the crying Ripley ripoff… :tired_face:

That’s a shame :.(
I’ll still see it though.

I’ve seen many of the movies mentioned and love me some deep sf but…

I watched guardians 2 the other night and it’s fun sf hero fluff. I really enjoyed it! For what it is

I mean my problem is not so much her crying…strong characters (male and female) out to cry for sake of the realism of emotional range…but there was little showing of her kicking ass. I mean you had males making poor decisions and playing the villain, and while that could be seen as anti-male comment, it wasn’t handled well…you’d have to squint really hard. That wasn’t an issue in the others.

I have very little faith in Marvel sequels. What always makes the first charming or unique or quirky and thus successful, is just gone in the second. I did enjoy the first guardians but am definitely going to wait for video on that one.

I am absolutely not against action films: there are some absolute classic action films out there that can ranked with the best of them (obviously). I am against Hollywood buying the name of truly great works and then scotch taping them to cover their filth.

I’ll double down and say that I think the new Thor is going to be one of the best marvel films ever.
Hunt for wildepeople was just fun to watch and if thor 3 does go full on eighties; pure fun. imo

that [redacted] sequence tho…?
:laughing:

1 Like

Oh wow.

Well its not a high bar to scale, but it that turns out to be the case, let us know.

Yeeeahhh wanted to avoid any spoilers.

That was the ONLY part. A pretty weak showing, tbh.

1 Like

i feel like i’ve misrepresented the nature of this thread so I’ll talk about two things SF that are amazing music wise (though I feel guardians and movies like the recent tron are not only fun but incorporate music into the film well, but yes they are juvenile).
Under the Skin used the sparse musical background to really create an eiree atmosphere. TBH i thought Lucy was a better film though.
And it’s not a movie but Stranger Things is some of the best SF (music, story, characters) I’ve seen.
{I think the first season of The Expanse was an instant classic as well but nothing to speak of musically.

Off topic but doesn’t really warrant a fresh one - anyone checked ‘The O.A’ on Netflix? 4 episodes in to it and digging it. Kind of somewhere between Stranger Things, Dostoevsky’s ‘the dream of a ridiculous man’ and a weirdo serial killer/hostages flick. Recommended for anyone that’s been in a deep k-hole :wink:

1 Like

Oooo. I’ll have to check this. Interesting combo of references.

But right now life is sweet in Twin Peaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDa-_Vq51I

2 Likes

I need to hit the new TP ASAP! Been waiting til I’m not tired and can pay attention. Rare atm :wink:

Yeah The O.A is cool so far. I’m only halfway through tho and read a few bad reviews (without spoilers) that mostly focus on the season ending being anticlimatic/lame/offensive… Hoping its not as bad as those reviews would suggest :wink:

Yeah I liked that O.A. :beers:

1 Like