Blackbox or Digitakt? Where to go "next"?

Hello all,

I’m cross-posting this to the 1010music forum; given that this is a digitakt-centric crowd, I figured cross-posting would balance out the bias.

I am new to synthesis, and new to beat making… having spent a few days and late nights here and there sitting in ableton messing around. I’ve since decided that I will focus on beat making as a hobby and want to dive right in with the right gear that will make flow easier.

tl;dr:

• just starting out seriously user manual diving.
  • have a Korg ES-1 mkii, an arturia microfreak, a mini kp-1, a mini kaossilator 1, a mini kaossilator 2s, a worlde panda200 controller, and a (non-midi) mixing board.
  • already sick of ES-1’s signal flow limitations (and mind you I don’t really know what I’m doing).
  • want a sampler that will allow me to beat make, as well as sample stuff from my kaossilator(s), and microfreak, layer and organize it.
  • want to stay DAWless for now, while I’m learning the basics, then will DAW myself later.

tl;
I bought a Korg ES-1 mkii a while back and didn’t spend due time on it until recently, having gone through the manual… I already feel that I’m pretty constricted with various features and flow. Ijust purchased a dollar-store midi controller (the worlde panda200), which support NRPN and should allow me more specific control over the ES-1… but certain things, like the signal flow (into effects for instance), lack of ADSR, lack of a proper hi and low pass filter (I feel like the part filter is bandpass), just generally annoy me (like “C’MON MAN!”).

Recently, I purchased a microfreak and am very happy with it’s versatility and I know it’s weird, but I believe it will teach me a lot about synthesis.

Basically, I imagine my workflow to be as follows:

1. toss together a phrase on the microfreak.
  2. throw together a beat on the kaossilator and/or the sampler.
  3. sample at least one of the two.
  4. arrange it back and create songs (a la Ricky Tinez)

Discovering that I’m looking for something more than the ES-1 on the sampler front, I was only focused on the blackbox, but now am impressed with the possible vaporware pipes ([www.pipes.rocks](see web site pipes.rocks), although a MODEP box is just as appealing to me). Also, after watching several videos (cuckoo, Ricky Tinez, and a dude, VoltageCtrlRtv) I’m quite impressed with the flexibility and functions of the digitakt.

But, I feel that the Digitakt is an instrument first and an arranger second… where I feel that the blackbox is an arranger first and an instrument second. Not to say the blackbox’s community is non-existant, but the digitakt’s community seems much stronger, which means that getting questions answered or having video or written tutorials available will make the digitakt much easier to learn

I’m working my way through this thread on elektronauts which is filled with critical perspectives on both devices.

Has anyone used both? I’m wholly aware that they complement each other… that the digitakt can be used to control the blackbox… that, in a workflow, the blackbox is likely to sample the digitakt… but what is your gut feeling knowing what I’m looking for for which direction I should move?

Thanks!

[Edit]

Worth noting that the Octatrack mkii is a little steep pricewise for me. Thanks.

[Edit 2]
…but, apparently, the Octatrack mki is not too expensive.

[edit 3]
I bought a digitakt and a blackbox. I used them for about two weeks. I then returned them and bought an Akai MPC One, which is $700USD instead of $1400USD and essentially does the same things and arguably more things. hatersgonnahate.gif

3 Likes

They both get good marks around here. If it was me, it would come down to stereo or mono, since the DT can only do mono samples.

2 Likes

Used Octatrack Mk 1s are a pretty good deal if you want the ultimate Elektron sampler that is more suited to creating full tracks and much more. Thought I’d add it into your considerations

2 Likes

If you’re looking for an arranger first, I’d really consider the Octatrack. There are certainly limitations as compared to the Blackbox, but it excels in performance, and just using your phrases plus the Octatrack’s scenes could lead to some really dynamic stuff. I’d go with that over the Digitakt in your situation. Best of luck!

2 Likes

I have, two very different beasts.

Where Blackbox is king: long stems, recording stuff you make with other gear, playing it back.
Where Digitakt is king: fine sequence control, cond. trigs & p-locks

You did mention arranging and song so obviously that’s the blackbox you want as the digitakt has no such thing as a song mode.

5 Likes

As opinions go, this might just apply to me but:

BB is simple, intuitive at first and forever. Can do neat tricks, has a great grid. Poly samples, etc…

BB is like the best musical notepad. A pencil and paper can only cover so many shades of grey. But everything is in order.

Digitakt is a sculpters tool. FX, bit crushing, can be used as a monosynth on its own.

DT is like a bunch of really colorful post-it notes.

I use both. Typically BB into DT for making warm and fuzzies as well as distorted nightmares.

I mostly just jam though and never use songmode for any device. Keep that in mind with what I am laying out here.

With all that said, it sounds like an Octatrack might be better for your particular needs indicated in the post.

However, the BB has absolutely surprised me. More of a zen tool that makes you try new things without venturing off too far.

One more set of analogies and then I’m off :joy:

BB is like Celeste. Not open world, but a ton of fun while remaining focused. Really good at what it does.

DT is like Mario64. Much more to do but not as focused but there are always little things you can do and it’s quite colorful.

OT is like Skyrim…

If you are solid on just either DT or BB, for your particular needs I would go with the BB since it sounds like sound wise you are covered. The OT is a suggestion because it really does do a lot and could cover future needs.

Good luck!

13 Likes

Ha! That is one of the best descriptions for the OT I’ve ever read.

7 Likes

Thanks for this suggestion! I can’t find this on reverb.com. Is this model specifically called the octatrack DPS-1? If so, I’ll vidi this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iM7b3RNO_-c

1 Like

I see both versions listed: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=octatrack

The older model is the black one :wink:

1 Like

Awesome description onthe differences!

Thank you.

1 Like

Dude, awesome game analogies right there. Best description of these machines so far.

2 Likes

I’m glad I was able to hit home with a few people using these analogies! I will forever look at my OT: “Hey you, you’re finally awake”

6 Likes

Geez lu-eez! That’s rich :rofl:

3 Likes

What do you think the OP - 1 would be? Zelda Breath of the Wild? (apparently cartoonish and cute but by all accounts really a titan of a game)

1 Like

I’ll have to think about that one. Def something along those lines :thinking:

I could totally see that now that I think about it. It’s still a Nintendo game at the end of the day but it is diverse and has a strong emotional bond and is often cherished. And the colors match the knobs for the different world types :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thanks for this reply. It is useful.

1 Like

After reading all your responses… watching these two videos:

I’ve decided that, at my skill level, I will be buying the blackbox and the digitakt. I will wait until my soon-to-exist fire mix tapes get me a contract or DJ residency (hahaha), and then get a new octatrack.

Seriously, my conclusion was driven by my lack of experience which translates into tangible inability to remember many multistep workflows to reach the same goal. The Octatrack MKi has a lot of great stuff in it, but it’s menu diving (with good reason!) is too much for me at my learning/maturity level. I also think the risk of Octatrack FOMO is greatly reduced by the Blackbox purchase, particularly since I feel like several things that the Octatrack does that the Digitakt does not (!) can be done with the Blackbox.

To say this another way… I’m trying to go wide right now, not deep… until I need to go deep, having the Blackbox for arranging and multiple signal flow processing, and having the digitakt as a feeder for this (and vice-versa!), I’ll not be disabled with lack of flexibility while I grow. The Blackbox’s UI is a lot easier to understand than the Octatrack.

And maybe… just maybe,… I’ll be ready for full on DAW before I even wind up at the Octatrack MKiii’s doorstep

So, I came here looking for advice on Blackbox OR Digitakt, was pointed to and quickly realized that the Octatrack MKi is a feasible alternative… investigated the Octatrack MKi versus the Digitakt… and came out with the conclusion that I need to git gud before I deal with the Octatrack, and maybe when that time comes, I’ll just be living in a DAW anyway.

Thank you all very much for your input and perspectives. I’m fully comfortable with the soon-to-happen purchases.

Thanks!

5 Likes

You’ll be very happy with DT and BB. OT can come later and it is made much simpler once you have the DT down anyway. Happy sampling :blush:

1 Like

DT + BB is an excellent combo. Enjoy it!

1 Like

killer combo for sure :slight_smile: