Black Corporation - ISE-NIN (Jupiter 8 replica)

The market? It’s a mix of

1. Black Corporation fans - peeps who drool at any new thing BC puts out, no matter what.
  2. MPE users
  3. Jupiter 8 fans who want another analog choice, not just Roland’s digital recreations or other plugin.

Check on all three, pretty much, plus add MTS support to the list. Even so, a combination of sonic needs, budget, and space make me prefer to wait for Kijimi to be updated to BC’s new slim form factor than go for this one.

1 Like

I’m sure it’ll sound fabulous but at the end of the day it looks like just another scavenger trading off someone else’s reputation (I’ll see myself out).

1 Like

Roman’s products are all clones, so the day doesn’t end there. It’s a question of how well it’s done, the usefulness of the modern features he’s added, and if it can be had at that level of quality somewhere else, as well as at what price. If you want CS-80, Deckard’s is the go-to. I wouldn’t mind one of his Easel clones, but that’s just a cost saving measure as far as I can tell, so I’d go Buchla there. Xerxes and this Jupiter seem more up to your personal whim and pocketbook; I like my Xerxes, and would like to like an updated Kijimi, too.

2 Likes

Which only reinforces my original scavenger statement.

No question for me. If I’ve been willing to call out Behringer for this kind of thing then it’s only fair that the other clonemakers get the same. And software clones. Ditto for anyone buying their products.

Perhaps it’s better for everyone if I mute this thread and leave y’all to your own devices.

Well, yeah, I was reinforcing and agreeing with you. But I thought these threads are about assessing musical usefulness, quality, value (at the price), and things like that. What’s the use or aim of calling out? I’d be interested in hearing about what “calling out” a synthesizer even means, I guess in one of those General Discussion threads because rex has said two times that he’s done with this one.

1 Like

Silly name … or is there something I’m not getting ?

I assumed it’s a reference to ice-nine from Cat’s Cradle by Vonnegut, continuing the Sci-fi theme of their naming.

Jupiter 8 … Ice nine … It’s one louder!

4 Likes

Is it just me or does the NIN mean something? Saw him post a photo with Trent Reznor a while back and I’m getting a bit excited!

1 Like

Black Corporation is going to make ASM very rich

2 Likes

So not really all three, because you’d rather have the Kijimi sound than the Roland sound right?

If they offer a kit version of this weirdly named new synth for $999 like most of the others (the lack of Kijimi kit a notable exception - coincidence?), it’ll be interesting to see how many peeps jump on that.

I don’t get it.

I think the Hydrasynth is the cheapest mpe capable full size key controller

2 Likes

Yeah I dont really get synth makers advertising MPE support so much, might as well advertise it supports 3 phrase power, about as useful :space_invader:

Well, as a guitarist who plays a LinnStrument exclusively, in place of standard keys, I won’t buy a synth that doesn’t support MPE. Whereas, I can’t say that I’ve ever purchased an instrument based on what’s going on inside its power supply.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Anybody have an idea of where he gets these names? I have a pretty intermediate understanding of Japanese and this was the closest thing I could find to “Ise-nin”. Somebody from Ise would be “Ise-Jin”, I think.

https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BC%8A%E5%8B%A2%E5%95%86%E4%BA%BA

It’s definitely a Japanese name, Nin is person (kinda), Ise is a place, BC is based in Tokyo. Might be either very old Jomon period Japanese, or just some weird bastardization he thought up.

I was hoping it would be a reference to Osaka which was where Roland was founded, but I couldn’t find any connection like that.

Eight posts above yours.

1 Like

I didn’t find that so convincing, but reading up about it on wikipedia that does sound possible

I’m just saying for most people the best option to get a board that supports MPE is to buy a whole other synth, aka the hydrasynth. Hopefully the situation will change soon.