Bit Reduction : Useless?

SRR ten percent on a string synth chord samples is sometimes the special sauce

2 Likes

Yeah the OTā€™s bit reduction sputters nicely at high settings, and the AM is like a free LFO (like you needed any more) and it goes to higher rates for FM-like effects. Thumbs up from me too!

2 Likes

Love SRR sounds, not too keen on DT/AR-style BR. pretty unpredictable and often just harsh.

1 Like

A nice technique is to crank the BRR but then tame the high end with the filter.

The OT sounds much nicer on a variety of samples to my ears, the DT does have that volume dip initially, and quickly grows too aggressive. It sounds like itā€™s missing the 0-30 range that the OT has, whereby the sample just gets touched by it around the edges, and you get that slight LoFi hiss (I use that all the time on the OT).

1 Like

On the AR I think the BR is very good to add a rough edge to snare samples, but it is most effective when used with a layered snare sample balanced with and synth snare sound. Also a subtle amount can add a wobbly effect to hats when used with the right filter settings and also balanced with the right synth hat sound. Claps can be made to sound brighter and crisper by increasing the value to suit your mix, but I have not found any use for the BR on anything else though yet.

I had the last couple of days the opportunity to spend very good quality time with the DT and this new high resolution Etymotic earphones, and I wanted to say I was wrong about my earlier assessment on the BR. Its nothing like a layer of noise on top of samples. I can now ear properly the BR acting and it acts quite nicely in some samples especially in metallic sounding ones. The lowering of the volume once activated is clearly there, and if it a bug like I have read here, it should be fixed soon. I spent 6 straight hours last night and Iā€™m super blown away by the sound quality on the DT.

2 Likes

Itā€™s very punchy and present sounding isnā€™t it. Love it!

1 Like

yeah i was really hoping it was SR and BR like the MD hadā€¦ just having a bit reduction crush that cranks the volume up as well is odd since its a ā€œdigitalā€ machine. Having a 12bit sound effect on the BR effect would have made more sense.

totally agree.
I had also some quality time with the BR, mainly in my project which is based on ā€œonly sampling the input noise of the audio inā€.
The BR helped me alots on some samples to get new fantastic tones out for resampling.
ā€¦as usual, makes so much of a difference what signals you send in.
Watch your enevlopes !
i even had the BR sometimes cranked to 110 or so.
and as ā€œmzeroā€ stated allready: can be fantastic on ā€œsingle cycleā€ / ā€œvery short snippetsā€ looping.
tipp on drums: hold stage value, something like 6 -8, decay: very short

1 Like

I kinda like the bit reduction, it makes my drums smack hard and loud. For me, its the Digitaktā€™s secret weapon.

5 Likes

I was thinking it was drums-oriented too. I remember how many people had wanted the ability to emulate old school sampler crunchiness, and I got a little of that feeling. Might be a case where that algorithm is based on the ā€œdrum computerā€ idea and itā€™s more suited to specific kinds of sounds. (Iā€™m not sure of that at all and Iā€™m just guessing. Thatā€™s just the thought I had when dialing it in, since the bit reduction seemed to be a more effective on drums, to me.)

4 Likes

I feel that way too because with other kinds of sounds, its like nothing is happening or a slight fuzz tinting to the sound. But for drums, it murders.

3 Likes

I just got a Digitakt a few days ago and love it. The Bit Reduction effect is my only issue so far.

My main issue with it is that itā€™s very ā€œsteppy,ā€ meaning that there are points on the knob where there are gain and tone jumps instead of continuous change. When modulating the effect via LFO or P-Lock, there are audible clicks and pops from gain discontinuities. A few of the factory presets even have this.

@void, I saw you mention that this was reported as a bug for the dramatic 110-115 gain jump. Is that the only section that the bug is reported for, or is it reported for the whole knob?

It makes sense that lowering the bits of a sample would have effects in clear steps. Bits are integers not floats, and what happens to the sound is very much dependant on what type of sound it is. Something would happen around a clear bit-down-step. Certainly it is not great for everything, but I would hate if they removed it or replaced it. I think it is great on synth-sounds most of the time to get a lo-fi feel.
The DT is a ā€œDigital drum machine and samplerā€ so bit reduction fits right in to that concept.

Distortion feels to me more at home in an analog-type product. For distortion you could run the sample through a dist-pedal and re-sample. DT-output => Dist. => DT-input (Turn off monitoring, or you would get a feedback loop maybe?)
Albeit a little less convenient then, I get that.

Bit reduction <3 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find it very useful so far. Not for every sound, but on some sounds it really adds rhythmic layers.

1 Like

Iā€™m getting a lot of mileage out of the bit reduction, especially on trigless locks and as an LFO destination.

Sure, every sound has its own sweet spot when it comes to this effect, but that also makes for some pleasant surprises.

5 Likes

Considering the semi-granular (?!) aspect of the DT engine the br is very useful for sound design and processing.
Like any effect/treatment it has itā€™s place, getting to know it and being able to imagine itā€™s potential on a sound is key, and judicious use as always is imperitive.

Realistically, like everything on any device itā€™s been through countless critical review sessions and the fact it is present is by no means trivial or on a whim. Like most Elektron products the users find uses that the design team never thought of.

It will prove itā€™s worth in time.

9 Likes

what they sayed !

lol

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Not on every sample no. Sometimes it sounds like sh** Yeap. In that case, donā€™t use it :wink:

4 Likes