Bit Reduction : Useless?

Yeah but run a pure sine wave through SRR and I reckon it sounds even better haha

talking of single cycle waveforms, are there like ā€¦ the top three recommendations for bass duties? i found a free one that worked pretty well on the Machinedrum years ago, but then i tried another and it kind of worked exactly the same, no difference in sound. So, presumed they all sound the same, but maybe they donā€™t?

itā€™s actually a really cool way to make tuff bass synths on the Machinedrum

Throw the lfo on it and the single cycle waves start to have an FM-ish vibe to them

2 Likes

Historically, for me, Elektronā€™s Bit Rate and Sample Rate effects have been pretty hard to get sounding nice. I almost never use it on any of my boxes (OT, MM, RYTM), which is weird because itā€™s by far one of my favorite effects otherwise. Maybe iā€™ve been spoiled by the OTO Biscuit.

1 Like

Yep sticking the Biscuit on the back end of anything that omits noise only makes it sound better (actually wish you could use the filter separately without converting to 8 bit but you canā€™t have everything in life)

2 Likes

OT but just realised UAD have an OTO Biscuit plugin. Mind blown. Awesome. Going to have a listen :aw:

2 Likes

i love UAD and yet steadfastly refuse to think about their software lol. Just gimme the 620 already :smiley:

2 Likes

I think the BRR sounds pretty good on the demos Iā€™ve heard. I think it is not meant to be used just on itā€™s own but to be filtered down to tame the harsh overtones a bit and to be used in combination with the filter overdrive too.

In the end itā€™s just digital bit reduction. Those algos are dead simple and sound pretty much all the same. They get harsh and unpleasant quick when overdone. Itā€™s certainly not the ā€œone knob to turn the DT into an old, fat, crunchy MPCā€ kind of thing that some might hope for.

Isnā€™t bit reduction digital by definition?? No bits or sample rate in the analog realm.

i meant programmed algos. in the OTO biscuit for example it is an actual 8-bit dac that converts the signal so the reduction is actually done in hardware not in software.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Not a fan of it either, small useable range and not too interesting within that range, I also agree that SRR would be (a little) more useful, it could be added so that half of the knob range is BR, centre is none, the other half is SRR, this would also make modulation from a LFO more interesting I think.

4 Likes

Donā€™t have a DT
Can someone explain why both BR and SRR arenā€™t possible on the device?

1 Like

I think itā€™s mostly because there isnā€™t any sensible spot left to put it on any of the param pages? Agree that SRR would be cool.

2 Likes

Ok thanks

1 Like

just a guess thoā€¦
I mean theoretically, since itā€™s all software, one thing that would be possible was to have swappable effects where e.g. the overdrive or the filter isā€¦

2 Likes

Would love to have the BR be able to swap out for something like an analog sounding phaser or a real crunchy distortion.

2 Likes

I personally donā€™t find it the most inspiring effect. Almost feels like a layer of noise is being added on top of the sample going from dry to wet. The Octatrack had exactly the same effect which I didnā€™t like it either. I wish they could review this effect to have a bit more bite and crunch, to ā€œgrabā€ the sample better.

The good thing is that I find everything else in the DT absolutely marvellous. A few more filter types will be welcome but as it is, Love It!!

1 Like

i use a bitrazer too, but i think theyā€™re doing a bunch of filtering and formant fx thatā€™s way more than just bit reduction maybe elektron needs to do something like that

I personally find ā€œit can beā€ a VERY inspiring effect.
stumbled over it the first time in the EX5 which has one of the best SRRs i heard.
For Keyboardplaying at least.
The Lo-Fi FX in the OT ( SRR + BR + Modulation) was in fact one of only three FX of the octatrack that i used.

great Idea above to have a SRR instead of BR but having the BR come in in the last part of the Pots stroke.