Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 28 | Terence Trent D'arby - Dance Little Sister

Hi all! Bit of a classic this time round, but something I got in a recent haul that I think could be fun to play with. I’ve included parts 1 and 2, the second part contains a bunch of extra material.

This week we’ll be working with Terence Trent D’arby - Dance Little Sister

YouTube preview:

Dance Little Sister reached the UK Top 20 as well as #30 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1988.

Vinyl recording (including parts 1 and 2), and StemRoller export:
DOWNLOAD

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family and your latest Tinder date.

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music/noise
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

You can use as much or as little of the track as you like - add whatever other instruments/samples you like. No winners, no losers, just good times*

DEADLINE Sunday, October 29th, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, October 29th, or be faced with a brief moment of regret. You could also submit something after that date too, we’d still like to hear what you make!

COMPENSATION

Hearts and compliments from the community*

Enjoy yourselves and join us in the chat for existential crisis, high-fives and advice! :raised_hands:

Lots of love, @natehorn and @aarb420

* Not guaranteed

3 Likes

A stem roller as well

You absolute prince!

2 Likes

:bowing_man:‍♂

1 Like

@natehorn nice one :muscle:

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

that’s fucking hard album

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to find a FLAC copy of this song for the past hour, and I wanted to share my ridiculous experience with @everyone. Not only is it nearly impossible to find this in a high res format, but when I did find somewhere that isn’t sketchy, I was met with this message:

After switching my IP address to Glasgow, UK, through a VPN, the track is now discounted 70 cents (not even currency related). What the what :older_man:

The victory was short lived, however. The system would not let the payment go through. :pensive:

Is Juno geo-price gouging us out here :thinking:

Nice one for the track and stems, I’ll have a go with this on Friday :smiley:

1 Like

The guy changed name in Sananda Maitreya, here’s the full story:

Here the flac file

2 Likes

@Enrico_Pallazzo ah man thank you for the file and neat article! :beers:

Checked the thread too late and decided to give a go with the bass stems @natehorn generously provided, but I’ll still try and see if I can make use of the file you shared during the week! It’s been a fun sample to play with after riding the high of the recent challenge @Yabba hosted! This round really brought a lot of amazing submissions :fire:

Here’s a quick remix to a Slaughter Rico rap that blew up for a while here in the US on the early YT days. Always wished that he had a bigger career, and at one point it was rumored that he had died, but he’s still very much alive for anyone who knew of him :older_man: Added drum break and some lil snips from a jazz record :beers:

edited some parts on a bank switch that I overlooked :older_man:

3 Likes

at one point he epitomized coolness and talent in the 80s to me…almost saw him and regretted saying no to the show when a friend offered me a ticket…I still don’t know why I refused the offer…he was the James brown of his short time in the limelight.

2 Likes

Meanwhile in the Pallazzo’s studios…

Terence Trent Darby produced a gorgeous album in the 80’s: an album of very inspired songs, I still listen to it. This remix is an attempt at crossover with the sound of the late 90s (when Fatboyslim knew what he was doing). I apologize for the mixing, it’s a bit rough, I didn’t spend more than 10 minutes on it.
@Natehorn Thanks for the stems. From what I hear, Stemroller works much better then my Neural Pro app.
May the funk be with you all

4 Likes

I’d noticed that there was a different name attached to his music, I did wonder what the background was!

1 Like

Is it me or is the track not in concert pitch?

Well this was fun until it wasn’t :joy: All the sample apart from the drums and dodgy synth nooodle towards the end. Serato Sample’d for time stretching, granulator’d a bit of it then dumped onto the 404 for chops, resamples, effects, ruin…

5 Likes

Is this something you’re picking up from my recording or do you mean the track in general? It’s flimsy cheap 80’s vinyl so it may be imperfect :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The recording you provided so could be that.

I tried to put a synth against it but it was slightly out.

It might be me and my limited transcription powers.

I had a go, I found myself tweaking the levels through my laptop speakers when I recorded it so it might be a bit off.

5 Likes

You all dropped some hot :fire: on this challenge, nice work @everyone! @Yabba levels are actually nice, and awesome beat man.

Had another spin with @Enrico_Pallazzo’s file, thanks again for sharing!

Wishing you all a flavorful week ahead @everyone, and thank you all for hanging out and sharing your efforts with us. Hope to see your friendly faces again soon! :beers:

3 Likes

This is great man! And your previous one which somehow passed me by until now is too, what a head nodder. Do that remix album please :wink:

1 Like