Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 26 | K.P. & Envyi - Swing My Way

Hey folks! This one is a little late for which I apologise - I had a very busy weekend and things got away from me a bit.

I’m cheating a little bit this week as this is a record that I don’t actually own, but a friend recommended it and I couldn’t turn down using such a great 90’s banger for our jam sesh.

This week we’ll be working with K.P. & Envyi - Swing My Way

Swing My Way” is a garage song by American hip-hop duo K.P. & Envyi. For each of them, it is their only top 40 hit, reaching No. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100 for the week ending March 14, 1998.

No HQ recording this time because I don’t have one, let us know in the comments if you aren’t sure how to grab the audio from YouTube and we can share a link. Also let me know if it’s helpful to share a StemRoller export, I’ll probably do one for myself later either way.

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family and your favourite school teacher.

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music/noise
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

You can use as much or as little of the track as you like - add whatever other instruments/samples you like. No winners, no losers, just good times*

DEADLINE Wednesday, October 4th, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Wednesday, October 4th, or be faced with a brief moment of regret. You could also submit something after that date too, we’d still like to hear what you make!

COMPENSATION

Hearts and compliments from the community*

Enjoy yourselves and join us in the chat for existential crisis, high-fives and advice! :raised_hands:

Lots of love, @natehorn and @aarb420

* Not guaranteed

6 Likes

Tagging for visibility :blue_heart:

@malus_mons @Yabba @NVVI @looms @mtts @proskynesis @monquixote @BLKrbbt @surfacescan

6 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire:

@natehorn man how a single song has the ability to launch one back in time is crazy! It feels like reliving that era when listening to this song thanks for the trip down memory lane this afternoon :beers:

3 Likes

A stem roller would be very handy

1 Like

Hi mate, sorry I did this last night and then passed out before I could send it :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

7 Likes

This is wild! :clap:

2 Likes

Thanks! Great samplepack from this one. Really like the drums.

2 Likes

@natehorn seriously, man! @proskynesis :exploding_head: not a dull moment in sight man nice formula! Got all pumped up from this one :muscle:

2 Likes

Legit banger right there. Wicked work @proskynesis!

3 Likes

Thank you all for kind words!

2 Likes

That’s one of the best things I’ve heard from you.

3 Likes

First thing I’ve made in a while tbh it was fun dusting off the cobwebs! These stems are really easy to work with…

5 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

This is wild!! And I agree. Forgot to say thanks for the stemroll by the way. So much useful stuff in this one which isnt that obvious before you dig into it.

2 Likes

As it was a two step beat I tried to do something inspired by Bicep.

All the synths are Hive which I got in the recent NI crazy sale thing.

6 Likes

Bicep are one of my favourite artists - I definitely hear the influence! :clap:

3 Likes

Great refix! Will definitely be having a bash at this

4 Likes

@natehorn THE RETURN OF THE MAC! :fire: That offbeat structure on this track is lovely man keeps the beat fresh and loved that bass exit!

@monquixote man the way you make that 80s sound modern is awesome, and such an awesome mix this is like a TV-ready track :muscle:

@jawside hop in, the more the merrier! :beers:

4 Likes

Big tunes @natehorn (sounds like a sweet set opener) and @monquixote (sounds like a peak banger). I wanted to do something this weekend but haven’t managed it. Gonna try and do something over the next few :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes