Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 21 | Wes Montgomery - A Day In The Life

Friends :handshake: We’re here for round 21 of the extravaganza! Doesn’t time fly. This week we’re dipping back into the world of jazz, and this is somewhat of a joint effort, as this was a record sent to me this Christmas past by @aarb420 from his collection. Shared with me, and now shared with you.

The sample this week is… Wes Montgomery - A Day In The Life.

Of his three A&M recordings, A Day in the Life (the first one) was by far the best and, although the jazz content is almost nil, the results are pleasing as background music.

lol

The record is definitely in the ‘easy listening camp’, but I myself love some easy listening. This is one you’ll need to bring your own flavours to, but I think it provides a lot to work with as a base :ok_hand:

Here’s a YouTube preview and also the high quality vinyl recording:

Vinyl wav: https://we.tl/t-YQrqDKD8R3

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family and your local librarian.

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music/noise
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

You can use as much or as little of the track as you like - add whatever other instruments/samples you like. No winners, no losers, just good times*

DEADLINE Sunday, July 16th, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, July 16th, or be faced with a brief moment of regret. You could also submit something after that date too, we’d still like to hear what you make!

COMPENSATION

Hearts and compliments from the community*

Enjoy yourselves and join us in the chat for existential crisis, high-fives and advice! :raised_hands:

Lots of love, @natehorn and @aarb420

* Not guaranteed

12 Likes

And yes I still need to submit something myself for the last round :scream: I am full of regret and self-loathing

2 Likes

What an awesome track :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

I. Love. This.

2 Likes

Wait. 4:34!!!

It took me that long to make the Beatles connection?

I think Im going to just take the intro first and see what it do…

3 Likes

Morning all :slightly_smiling_face:
Or whatever your timezone is currently.

Nice selection @natehorn I love a bit o Wes

3 Likes

Here’s one, great sample to mess with.

8 Likes

Damn dude that is bumpin, just like ol Wes would want it!

2 Likes

Thanks fella :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My favourite Beatles track is Eleanor Rigby, which is also on this record, but it’s a bit more on the nose :grin:

Nice one @Yabba !! Straight on it :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Just found out about these extravaganzas. Great concept! The previous one was quite a bit above my skill level but this one I could sort of get to work. MPC One and SP404 for sampling and 303 vinyl sim.

10 Likes

I love to listen ray charles version, then go back to the Beatle version. You can hear the pressure of the lyrics with the stabs of the strings.

Happiness is a Warm Gun is my go to.

But I actually stopped listening to a lot of music from then. Also, classic rock in general.

It’s because it’s so good, and iconic, but finite. I used to listen to a lot of it, especially Moutain. I love Leslie west. But I realized that they cannot make music like that anymore because it was made in the context of its time.

So to protect it from getting played out and trite, I stopped actively listening to it. That way when it happens to show up in my travels, I can still listen and enjoy the music. Same for Beastie Boys.

1 Like

Nice job working Johnny Rhythm’s vocals in there! Had the same idea, you beat me to it

1 Like

@natehorn Thanks for picking this one man this is one of my fave album covers haha :innocent:

Also, I will not be posting in revolt of the last challenge. 🥸

Jp haha but actually will be late on submitting something though from getting a last min invite an invite for a mini vacation and getting back to my hq on Sunday! I didn’t take my baby with me, but I might see if I can make a lil mix with a phone app if I get the opportunity in the downtime! :thinking:

@Yabba ooof that’s a smooth criminal break right there!

@mtts clean jazzy groove and nice machinery! Also, welcome aboard the jam clan :older_man:

3 Likes

Prince @Yabba - the smooth dark prince of shadow beats. Well done. Perfect

1 Like

Thanks for introducing me to this track - What is the Beatle reference here? I took the punk rock route when the fork in the road presented itself and missed most of the Beatles music…

That is some serious cinematic event horizon towards the end that I was not expecting. Can you imagine them all in one room recording this?

1 Like

A day in the life! Great orchestration

Coming off the Niles battle, I don’t think I can chop a Beatles arraignment.

But I’m cool spectating!

@Yabba

I need hip hop lessons.

1 Like

Thank you mate i appreciate that :slightly_smiling_face:

Haha your doing more than ok fella.
If anything I need lessons in making anything else aside from hip hop which I just don’t seem to be able to do

1 Like