Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 17 | Christopher Williams - I'm Dreamin'

It’s that time again - dust off your samplers/DAWs and don your favourite beat-making shorts!

The sample this week is the 1991 hit I’m Dreamin’ by Christopher Williams.

I’m Dreamin’ is featured in ending credits of the 1991 film New Jack City and its soundtrack, in which Williams has a supporting role as Kareem Akbar. The song peaked number-one on Billboards US R&B Songs chart becoming Williams’ first and only song to reach that position.

Here’s a youtube taster but make sure to download the vinyl recording for your sampling pleasure - I’ve included a stemroller export from the Hip Hop Radio Mix which includes some classic 90’s rap goodness. The vinyl recording includes all 4 versions from the record so you’ve got access to everything on offer.

Vinyl recording and Stemroller export: https://we.tl/t-Wd4ggrKGcp

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family and favourite pizza parlour.

• Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
  • Add/remove whatever you like, as long as you use something from the track
  • Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music/noise
  • Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

No winners, no losers, just good times*

DEADLINE Sunday, May 21st, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, May 21st, or be faced with a brief moment of regret. You could also submit something after that date too, we’d still like to hear what you make!

COMPENSATION

Hearts and compliments from the community*

Enjoy yourselves and join us in the chat for existential crisis, high-fives, tips, tricks and low-budget life coaching.

Lots of love, @natehorn and @aarb420 :v:

GET ON IT

* Not guaranteed

12 Likes

Tagging some regular faces so you don’t miss it

@BLKrbbt @1-2 @Yabba @jdaddyaz @Funk_Illuminati @BLKrbbt @proskynesis @Clarke_111 @looms @trophoniq

4 Likes

@tubefund @Nils @malus_mons @monquixote @sasquatchfuzz @jeye_musik

3 Likes

I would love to contribute but have no time for music these days. Looking forward to listening to what you all come up with :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Boo! Hopefully for fun and exciting reasons bud

2 Likes

Thanks for the sample again and the stems is a great help. :slightly_smiling_face:

I did one just now, didn’t use any outside elements.
I can’t get the bass sounding how I want I might tweak that after I have a rest from it.

7 Likes

That’s a real vibe @Yabba :ok_hand:

I opened up Ableton to do a little sample prep and got a bit carried away…

10 Likes

@natehorn awesome find! Those vocals are so reminiscent of that time, and I don’t know about anyone else here, but I actually adore that sound haha it must be nostalgia playing it’s ways. That beat is so fresh man well done, but please extend it because it’s delicious! :muscle:

@Yabba smoooth track, and the drop leading into the beat is really captivating man, as is the whole track! :muscle:

2 Likes

haha totally man - one of the reasons I couldn’t resist putting some 2 step on it - transporting me back to simpler times :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Yeah, i got caught up in the battle and couldnt get to the last extravganza…

Make sure you tag me in everyone! I don’t want to miss out and thank you for that @aarb420

Im going to take a crack at this now.

And @natehorn… Im getting real comfy having a crunchy vinyl and some stems… real big up for that. Iff you okay doing it, it is well appreciated!

2 Likes

Cheers guys.
That’s really great work @natehorn

I’ve woke up feeling not too keen on a lot of the elements in mine so I might do another in a bit.

1 Like

Don’t worry we won’t forget about you bud! :blush: Glad to have you in!

@Yabba :metal::metal:

I’ll get on the OT today will see what I can mangle. The stem export isn’t as clean for this track IMO so it does benefit from a little massaging first

2 Likes

I hope you’re all ready for the “I’ve got the sucking on lemons face because I’m rolling so fucking hard right now” epic trance track I’m making.
@BLKrbbt Tag!

5 Likes

I’m here for it!

3 Likes

Ah shit get the pacifiers, Daddy is bringing the Vicks.

Now to get the bass for the face.

10 Likes

Never get tired of Teddy Riley and new jack swing!

7 Likes
8 Likes

The video looks really nice and fits the mood of your track :+1:t3::+1:t3:

2 Likes

I’m really not great at these… I always end up getting too many ideas and then spend ages trying to shoe-horn them all in together so really I should sit this round out… especially as I want to do something for the next Hip-Hop and D’n’B missions too… however, why be sensible when I can just try and challenge myself to be a bit less precious about things and just see how I get on.

Some excellent stuff so far…

@yabba - I’m actually quite digging that bassline… it didn’t go exactly where I thought it would and so worked out being catchier for me.

@malus_mons - the little liquid sounding blippy lead is in the definite chef’s kiss zone!

@natehorn - really cool to hear how you added the melancholy and generally brooding vibes to the original sketches in Ableton… you’re just a wood-block snare away from given us the full classic Burial vibes (which is cool, cause he doesn’t these days).

5 Likes

One of my favourites of yours, lovely stuff

1 Like