Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 17 | Christopher Williams - I'm Dreamin'

For some reason I set out to make the silliest manic late 80’s dance track I could.

Everything is made with samples from the track.
BTW the rhythm textures at the start are some vinyl noise and a snare hit all heavily processed.

9 Likes

Yea man this is a no-pressure zone, if nothing else use it as a way to hone those skills - mash those ideas together and go crazy!

The highest of praise!!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

haha I think you nailed it!!!

2 Likes

Missed the last one and have been short on time, so this was thrown togehter in about 30 mins using my new favourite toy - I have gone down the looping rabbit hole, and am currently obsessed with the RC505mk2 - no more sequencing for me! So this is a live looping jam - one take and a little loose in places, but all part of the fun!

I sampled a few random bits of the track into the SP404 and chopped them up, then added a few drum one shots pressed record and then jammed away on the pads capturing the loops on the 505 and then using the faders and effects to add variety/create sections - it’s so much fun to use.

5 Likes

Alright I went the house route.

I tried to use the recordings provided, but couldn’t get a kick that I liked, and didn’t want to spend too much time messing with it. I also used a perc sample I’ve had for a bit at the beginning.
Everything else came from the recordings. Think I’ll maybe switch the bass with an SH01 or something, but yeah, there it is. Sliced, and diced. Strange what you can get when just messing around with slicing.
I did minimal mastering, and some of the levels are blah, including the bass. Maybe I’ll come back to it and put some more work into it.
If anyone wants a wav for their house party, let me know and I’ll send it over.

11 Likes

@everyone you guys are all coming up with so many neat flavors that in hindsight we should have titled the challenges Beat Buffet :older_man:

@Yabba Your beat is dope man no need for doctoring

@natehorn Knocking them out of the park left and right, and I overplayed your first one a lot!

@monquixote Man so much energy here that’s an awesome concept, and nostalgic

@Clarke_111 Nice lowrider mix and process

@jdaddyaz Catchy and fun groove man, nice energy, and agree with you with slicing!

Marinating on mine atm will join you guys soon :beers:

5 Likes

Aww. I wanted more!

3 Likes

Locked groove you say?

1 Like

I’m thinking there’s some wisdom in that… I need to get better at not overthinking things. Just relax, enjoy it without feeling I need to re-invent the wheel everytime. I’ve made a reasonable start and I’m off tomorrow so I think I’m just going to set myself the goal of spending a few hours learning Song Mode on the DT and then get something rough recorded… then it’s onto the othe current missions!!

2 Likes

@malus_mons man your song totally got buried in my vision earlier and forgot to comment on your track because it’s a sweet bubbly composition!

Also, I grew up listening (as a result of my older sister), Blackstreet’s “No diggity” and apparently this sound is all based on this one dude Teddy Riley. I had no clue haha. I was always looking to find the source for that specific song style so big thanks for the name drop :beers: Man his story is a trip!

2 Likes

I like trying to make something that’s kind of silly and that way there is no pressure or expectation of it being some kind of artistic statement.

3 Likes

Thanks dude! Yeah Teddy Riley is New Jack Swing. He kicked off the whole Norfolk/VA Beach producerville USA: Pharrell, Timbaland and Missy Elliot all followed in his wake. I think Pharrell made the beat for Shake Your Rump when he was in high school and Teddy Riley bought it off him. That seed money eventually became The Neptunes. First CD I ever bought was Guy.

2 Likes

@malus_mons Honestly was not aware of the historical significance of this giant or even the band Guy :exploding_head: Just finished watching a Teddy Riley interview with Red Bull from a few years ago, and the man has such a fascinating career (recommend checking it out if you haven’t already). The amount of people he is/was connected to is shocking. I caught the tail end of New Jack Swing from movies, but it always looked like a fun time to be alive as an adult (was 6 years old when he apparently created Blackstreet)! It’s hard to comprehend a “modern” musician was able to create so many globally iconic tracks, let alone a whole style/genre!

1 Like

Here’s a few mashed potatoes :man_cook: Used some vocals from a scene in New Jack City to spice the beat up.

A year ago, I wasn’t using a compressor at all, and now it seems I’m overly using and it might be squashing too much, and came across some muddy samplage in the middle that I couldn’t repair. Riding the waves of life :surfing_man:

Thanks @natehorn for picking out a dope nostalgic gem and nice score! :muscle:

5 Likes

Ah man that’s a great idea! Wish I’d thought of that haha - slick beats :ok_hand: :ok_hand: I always slam everything through compression so you’ll hear no complaints from me :sweat_smile:

Lots of variety this time round which I always dig, love the house vibes too @jdaddyaz and @Clarke_111 this sample is made for it!

2 Likes

Such a nice track but i don’t have time to mangle it these days unfortunately.

1 Like

@natehorn haha it’s a great movie to go back and rewatch :innocent: Thanks man!

With the compressor, I’ve developed a habit of turning down all of my sample/track levels down with P-LOCKS (trying for a better mix), so as not to anger the comp. The next morning, I’m back cranking up the gain up because the levels are too low, which results in a nasty, not cool distortion with my filters/delays :older_man: Always fighting the actions from yesterday lmao

@tubefund all good thanks for stopping by :sunglasses:

1 Like

In the spirit of trying to be less precious about things, here’s my effort which is probably as rough as a badger’s proverbials but it was fun to do and it was a good exercise in learning the Digitakt song mode (unsure if I prefer it to just jamming with patterns and then chopping up the stems and fine tuning the structure after the fact). So it’s mostly DT but with all the samples from the song apart from a couple of drum samples. I then added in a pad that I payed with Arturia’s synclavier.

6 Likes

Glad you got something in @jeye_musik ! Love the vinyl crackle usage really adds a lot of texture :ok_hand:

I was inspired by @aarb420 's use of material from the film so I messed around with an idea today that I layered into a scene - could do with a little fleshing out but I didn’t want to labour on it for too long

5 Likes

Cheers for that… the vinyl crackle was just a quick bit of fun with triggering a bit of vinyl crackle from the front of the record with loads of plocks and LFOs to pretend that it was a more natural bed of sound. In all honesty, listening back and it’s no that great - but there are a few bits worth salvaging and as my efforts for the missions recently have been about learning and getting some starters-for-ten for some new songs I’m more than happy with that for just now.

That video you posted was excellent - the vocal samples really tie it together and it’s further evidence (as if it were needed) that a minifreak could be in my future (especially if they bring in more of the features that have recently gone into the microfreak).

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m enjoying the Minifreak - it covers a lot of ground and it’s really easy to use and to get something going. Being able to layer the two oscillators opens a lot of interesting doors and having 3 effects slots is great - some of them are really useful too like the multi band compression. For the money I don’t think there’s a better option out there. Pairing it with the A4 is giving me everything I need right now :ok_hand: I’m running it into the A4 too so I get an extra 3 effects to play with! And that’s before both hit the OT :sweat_smile:

I often feel that way, the important thing is you stretched your legs and hopefully had fun in the process, I think we’re all often too harsh on ourselves it’s hard to break out of that mindset. Comparing myself to others is always the worst thing!

Sounds like you’re getting something good out of the process - and making more music is never going to make us worse at it :ok_hand:

2 Likes