Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 14 | Stanley Clarke - Journey to Love

@BLKrbbt that there is some hard drums man! :beers:

1 Like

@aarb420 yes extra Stanley

This track was a nice choice for sampling, could have made so much more

1 Like

Gonna hit this tomorrow, hold me to it folks! I never like coming in after there are already a bunch of bangers the bar is set!

No idea what I’m going to try this time - I’m kind of out of practice, I feel rusty! Cool to see some techno in here I might drift more into that space.

Oh and I finally got my TT back! That will make listening to my records much easier for the next challenge :laughing:

6 Likes

Well this has taken a different turn to what I intended but I’m digging it tonight so gonna chuck it up. Might do something else with it tomorrow (day off work, wooooo!) and do more what I was erm… doing before it took a left turn.

Mainly working in Serato Studio for the first time. It’s lacking a lot in some areas but fun to play with and the stems shit if coooooool.

R.I.P Dave aka Plug Two aka Trugoy the Dove

7 Likes

Where you @?

4 Likes

This is something I whipped up really quick. It’s just a loop. Opening and closing the filter. I kind of like it.

8 Likes

@looms Man what a phat groove! Such a fresh touch on the remix and great job on the big roomy flavor you created. Hadn’t heard the raps in that song in so long that I thought it was actually “Too Complex!” when that part came about in the verse :yum: dope sounds! :beers:

Also, did you make this on the same app/soft that you posted about/we briefly discussed the other day in the hip hop thread? That’s neat man, was it easy to navigate/ create the stems? What’s lacking in your head compared to your gear? :thinking:

@Doug Awesome cipher vibes on this one man! It’s so grimey but neat, and your drum work on this is juicy with those hats at the end of the loop! Such a tease though, as I could listen to that beat on repeat for a while! That unexpected exit/ending is tastefully executed, too! :beers:

3 Likes

:heart: Thanks haha - I did make a start on something!! Will have something today :grin:

3 Likes

Cheers mate. Yeah, Serato Studio! Turns out I have a 3 month trial of the full version due to having Serato DJ from a million years ago (boomerang chirp flares anyone, haha) The stem stuff is built in to the sampler so it’s easy to toggle stems on and off and see how things sound. The audio does a slight glitch sometimes when you change it and you also can’t automate the changes (prob because of the glitchiness) which is a shame. It’s a fun little app but it’s not a proper DAW. 3 FX per track and 3 FX on the Master for one thing and the note editor is quite clunky. I don’t think you can route external effects into it either. No db levels. It’s basic. It has some nice touches for sure though. And I’m sure they’ll keep developing it… much to my annoyance as I wish they’d just give Serato Sample VST stems and I’d use that in Ableton no question.

The stems also aren’t as good as Stemroller. The De La acapella I ended up using Stemroller for as it did a much better job. For things like taking out just drums though it’s decent and the fact it’s almost seamless and integrated into the actual music making is inspiring and a cool workflow.

This is the other version I did. It was too busy for the De La acapella and it doesn’t quite all click (some of my timing is whack) so I’m glad I had that productive hour and did the other version last night! But you can hear how the stem stuff can remove the vocal samples pretty well. After the sorta bridge bit it’s the same chops with the vocals removed. Pretty cool.

Sorry for the essay :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I had a bunch of ideas down but I’m not happy with any of em :pensive: Recorded some stuff but just a load of junk on the cutting room floor. Out of my groove.

Will start with a clean slate over the weekend!

2 Likes

@looms That’s a hot beat man! Loving this new flavor you got your hands on :man_cook: That’s cool that they honored your trial haha, and thank you for your take on Serato too. No need to apologize for doing a good deed and enlightening us with the infos. It still looks neat for getting an idea out quickly, and I hope Serato are able to improve on those elements you mentioned in the future, but I’m coming from the angle of not using either Serato (recently) or Stemroller and just gawking from afar at the capabilities. Dope stuff man!

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, c’mon now! :innocent: We need some @natehorn flavors man it’s just not a full challenge without those ingredients! :muscle:

I’m going to try to drop something a little later tonight (trying out some different drum mutes atm), and I hope all who celebrate today, are having a lovely Good Friday! :beers:

1 Like

OT yielded some random slices again, and it’s neat because when hitting the same button repeatedly, it felt like playing a bunch of different notes on the same sequencer button being pressed. All the vocals are random slices! I’m sharing for that reason lmao otherwise I’m sort of creeped out by how OT is maybe trying to communicate with me. :sweat_smile: Also, that end bit is from the recent Chuck D Drink Champs episode and I recommend checking that out for a good time!

5 Likes

Digging this man. Slight knxwledge vibes! The melody when the drums drops out at the end is super cool :cup_with_straw:

1 Like

This starts off a little chaotic, but resolves itself VERY nicely… maybe tack on the second section on to the end and trim the chaos in the front and you have a great downtempo vibe!

EDIT.

I meant tack the second section on the end for a second time… that was a great groove.

1 Like

@looms Thank you man! Had the main beat+samples at the start of the week and then nothing to follow all week. That part showed up in the final moment when the energy was diminished lol.

Also, thanks for putting me on to someone “new” man, sleeping too much over here, but that dude is nice! :older_man: :beers:

@BLKrbbt thanks man! :beers: That was originally the intro lol, and I wound up pushing it back. I just kind of threw that drumless/solo part in so anyone who is curious about those random slices can see another example of what can be done on OT. That’s what I meant earlier in the week by having multiple different directions, but the thought paralysis got meh. :baby:

If you guys and @everyone get a chance to play with random start LFOs + slices, and random LFO designs (this part I think is for OT fam mostly, and I wish this feature was on the other Elektron boxes, especially DT), there’s a lot of neat possibilities, but it definitely lives up to being random most of the time. Need to play a little bit, and spank buttons at will until the fun stuff appears.

Your instincts were dead on though, and the other parts highlight it by adding contrast.

1 Like

Thanks man that means a lot! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: might see if I can squeeze something else out of this song today because it feels like there is still a lot of parts hiding in there! Excited to try to take another shot at learning some DnB btw glad you’re back up and running! :muscle:

1 Like

Oh yeah.

Its go time.

1 Like

I need to run through some patches on the Matriarch, then I might try out some more of the chops I made earlier for this…

I made a template, and I need to start following it to help arrange my ish into finished tracks.

(Im gonna put this up on the battle thread as well)

1 Like

I swear before reading this I also finally made a template this morning :beers: haha just hope to remember that it’s there :rofl:

Let’s go man 2023 is the year of the Jordan, and all of us here are being called to slam dunk on the world!

love seeing all of those giants together on screen :muscle:

1 Like