Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 12 | Wayne Shorter - Genesis

I’m impressed by what @proskynesis and @aarb420 have done - both in terms of how they’ve been able to take the source material in quite different directions but also in how you’ve been able to produce stuff this good as quick as that. I’m really not used to working with such a quick turn-around - I usually like to let aspects of composition sit for a few days before going back and re-working or streamlining with enhanced.

Anyway, it’s good to get out of the comfort zone and I’m already late so here is my attempt. It’s all DT into Live via Overbridge. There is one kick drum and one snare drum sample, along with a chain of 8 hihats. But everything else is processed from the original song.

6 Likes

@looms Thank you, that shot me through the roof :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Hope you’re feeling better over in your parts man would have loved to hear you tackle this one, too, but health is more important! :beers:

@jeye_musik First off, welcome! That sounds like a neat experiment you have on your hands and those hats are lovely! Enjoyed how you got those spacey water drops around 2:15 :beers: And thank you for the kind words!

Also, late submissions are perfectly fine and the deadline for our challenges are more of a general timeframe, so that we can find/consume new flavors together, often! It is a somewhat quick timeframe, and early on I was pestering @natehorn to do these weekly, which I now realize how difficult it would have been for everyone involved, so let us all thank Nate for being the voice of reason! :innocent:

Last, but not least…

@everyone Thank you guys for hanging out with us this time around! We all witnessed a ton of “action” recently in many unfortunate ways. Also, BIG :beers: for joining in remembering a fallen musical pioneer that helped pave the way for a lot of the current levels of “randomness” / free-form to be accepted in the world today! Apologies if the sample this week was a little bit difficult to work with, but the news of Shorter’s death hit me harder than expected, amongst all the chaos that took place this past week (and now there’s bank stuff here in the states to look forward to, too, great).

Lot’s of weird has been happening lately, but we can all look forward to another dope sample next weekend when @natehorn drops some of his new vinyl finds for us! :fire: Hope you all have a great week ahead, everyone!

4 Likes

Doh, I thought the deadline was this coming Sunday!

Reading the challenge small print I’m now channeling a brief moment of self-loathing which comes very naturally to me :laughing:

I’m hopefully gonna submit mine sometime this week anyway. Might even make it before the next one is up this time round. And before we know I’ll have preempted the sample choices and have my tracks done before the challenges are announced :crystal_ball: before before before

Big up @proskynesis and @jeye_musik for taking their tracks into pretty much unrecognisable sample territory. Both very cool :sunglasses: I’d definitely have a little awkward shuffle to @proskynesis’s banger in a dark club :ballet_shoes:

Lastly… I only just found out Wayne Shorter was in Weather Report :man_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

@looms haha it’s all good man, whenever :muscle: but then there’s also @Doug’s hip hop challenge that I need to get started on myself. :older_man:

It really is crazy how much Shorter contributed to/influenced the music world. I think a lot of the hip-hop crowd knows about Weather Report because of Q-Tip, and this amazing cover:

Initially thought to sample Weather Report, but chose to get a jazzy homage tune and kind of focus on Shorter’s early roots. I was amazed to hear that he took over Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers that’s such a huge gig :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Thanks all for your feedback, it’s much appreciated. I’m using these Missions as a way to get myself out of my comfort zone but also as starting points for more fully fleshed out compositions in the future.

No apologies required from my perspective. I thought the song had lots of interesting sections and honestly I ended up with about another 6 or 7 bits of audio sampled that I didn’t even use. I tend to use bits of sound rather than flipping whole phrases so maybe that makes it’s a little easier. Yeah, it is a great song and a timely one too.

On a related topic, Adam Neely just released a video talking about the Wayne Shorter’s approach to harmony and composition. Really interesting stuff.

2 Likes

More bangers! You definitely nailed this one @aarb420 your OT stuff is strong. You ever thought of doing videos? The 8 track limitation is often what holds me back from only using the OT - but then I watch a Jon Makes Beats video and he’s got a banger going on 2 tracks and he has FX slots spare. Some people make it look too easy man!

That’s a great share @jeye_musik will enjoy watching that. And nice one on using the challenges that way, I’m doing the same myself - never using my standard workflow or approaches - it’s a good opportunity for that! Although we all like to make bangers I see this less as a place to flex our abilities and more somewhere to try something new. Although each to their own, flex away!

nod

3 Likes

I saw Herbie and Wayne live back in the late 90’s when they had an album together. One of the most moving experiences of my life, just the two of them alone on stage, “legends” gets thrown around too much but these guys are the real deal. Growing up the sound of Weather Report was a constant coming from my dads stereo and I still have all those moldy vinyl albums. Thanks dad! Here’s what I came up with. arranged and performed on the OT. Tried to time it as best I could from the acapella on YT. Ladybug came in a little early.

5 Likes

@jeye_musik Glad you got something out of this challenge! It’s funny you say that about having unused samples because I too have a lot of sections from old challenges just maturing in the OT, and sometimes I’ll load those up to mess around with when looking for direction/inspiration. Sometimes ideas sprout much later than in the moment when the challenge is taking place. Thanks for the video this is great! :beers:

@natehorn Thank you man! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Gonna be honest it was really painful listening to that loop when notes weren’t hitting lmao. Also, thank you for that suggestion, and totally get you with the Jon Makes Beats workflow (that dude definitely makes OT look too easy, plus the video edits)! :beers: I’ve tried to use Sample Lock TRIGS instead of what I’ve been used to, which is layering a bunch of drum samples on multiple tracks, but then I’m only left with like 2-3 tracks for samples and usually run out room for bass samples on beats lol. Admittedly, I get a little too picky though, and don’t like that the waveform/time-stretch bpm can’t be edited when using Sample Locks, and imo the samples benefit from having their own 2 FX per track for tweaking Filters/Delays into a somewhat matching outfit. Plus with Parts, it’s annoying for the style I’m doing at the moment because sometimes there will be a trig at the very end of a pattern (ie step 16), so a mute can’t be added to cut off a playing sample from one part switch to another, which leads to that sample from the previous part playing out all the way through (actually don’t know if messing with HOLD/RELEASE might work for this just got the idea). Plus this one is feeling lonely, and that’s the main reason :yum:

@malus_mons No way nice, that sounds like such an amazing experience! The mold adds that extra flavor to the vinyl, and I’m surprised it doesn’t add to their value :wink:

Dope jazzy Digable Planets remix, and loved that piano roll and super quick cutoff around 1:30-1:32, it’s super tasty! Thanks for sharing with us :beers:

3 Likes

I decided that I would just delete the ones I don’t use as I’m using my DT for these challenges and space is at a premium. The weird thing is, I’ve had my DT pretty much since it was released (when’s that 5 or 6 years ago) and this challenge is the first time I’ve ever sampled directly with it - I always just prepped stuff on the computer and transferred across before. The new firmware inspired me to clear out my DT and start from scratch again and so this has been very much a learning curve but really inspiring too. Good vibes in the thread too!

1 Like

To be fair, DT is a beast on it’s own, but good on you for venturing out into sample territory! Not to talk big, but our thread has a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful users hanging out with varying machines, so don’t feel shy to reach out if you find yourself stuck with anything. We’re all here to learn and improve, while making fun jams :muscle:

Absolutely understand you there, and that’s one of my biggest challenges in life, as well haha :beers: Good luck on your new DT journey, and hopefully we’ll catch you on the next round, if you find the time!

2 Likes

Gutted I couldn’t make anything I liked before the right time, I did three unfinished ones, which to be fair don’t sound too bad now I’m listening again, so I shoulda completed one.
You guys all did a great job with it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

All good man it was a strange week! If you ever do find yourself finishing any up feel free to share them, as I don’t think anyone would object, and thank you! :beers:

1 Like

Cheers! Yeah, I’ll be sucking up all the knowledge like a sponge… I’m pretty comfortable with the DT but it’s more about what works and doesn’t work for mangling etc. Definitely plan to contribute to more of these and the other challenge threads too!

1 Like

Reworked my track quite alot.

4 Likes

:fire:
@proskynesis Man, it sounds like you went ALL IN on this :game_die: :game_die:
I really love that sound you have as your main background sample, that “Waaaoooh” is lovely!

1 Like

Thanks! Aimed at tightening it up and make it more monolithic but as always it ended up with maybe too many sections. Should probably split it up to 3 tracks. Do you mean the short pianoloop or the cyberwaa in the breaks? The vocals is from donnie darko btw

1 Like

I’m not sure honestly haha :baby: but it’s always in the background and it starts off from the beginning. I think it’s a bass sample? It’s a crispy constant element. Also, enjoyed the way you structured this a lot :man_scientist: Awesome thought on using Donnie Darko samples that’s a great story, and couldn’t make out what is being said, but it complements the track yummy-ly :ok_hand: pianos are dope too!

1 Like

Ah think its a pitched down piano snippet. Frank says: Dont worry, You got away with it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ran out of likes for now and thought you got the last one earlier! That’s even cooler btw nice touch :muscle:

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

1 Like

Here’s one I started, i didn’t even put any drums on it, I sometimes make a long sequence and put drums to it afterwards.
I abandoned it because I didn’t like the LFO filter I put on the horn, and the simple cheesy line I played with it, which I really hate now :joy:

But I might strip it down and finish it when I’m finished on the #19 battle, I’ll post the other 2 when I record em, both also just a doodle.

5 Likes