Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 12 | Wayne Shorter - Genesis

@BLKrbbt @aarb420 @monquixote I’m glad you liked it. Actually I couldn’t miss the call: Wayne Shorter has always been one of my favorite superheroes

2 Likes

Another great sample :slightly_smiling_face:

@Crudeliar great work, really well made

2 Likes

Hey @everyone I don’t know if there is a problem with the .flac provided because when loading into OT on a fresh project the sample playback is like Chopped/Screwed slow even with the AED time stretch bpm turned all the way down to 30bpm (fastest). It’s a neat effect for me, but I’m not sure if anyone else is experiencing a similar encounter and can confirm if that is the case, as it was intended to provide a high quality version of the sample. If there aren’t any issues, then oll korrect, just making sure you all have the proper goodies. :beers:

edit: Okay, my mistake. I wasn’t converting the file properly :older_man:

Also, apparently the entire album is on archive.org and only wish google would have provided those results before going down rabbit holes looking for an HQ version to share. The links in op will be updated to include the new 24bit flac sample from archive.org, along with the site in case anyone wishes to download the full album.
The all seeing eye [FLAC] : Wayne Shorter : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

edit 2: Links updated in op. Hope you all get a chance to participate! :man_scientist:

2 Likes

Oof! Yea well done you’ve really blown this apart!!

I feel like I need to provide counselling to my fellow samplers, and myself haha.

It’s actually really inspiring, a high bar even for these challenges, which is no mean feat! But my message to those dissuaded by it would be to remember that the goal isn’t to make something good, it’s simply to make something! @Crudeliar has already covered the banger end of the scale so that takes the pressure off :slight_smile:

@aarb420 I hadn’t noticed sorry I ripped from the YouTube vid :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

No harm done man whichever works! :surfing_man:

1 Like

Here’s a little punt from me! I took a relaxed approach, grabbing a bunch from the track but used a seperate drum kit and then layered in some prelinger content, as is tradition.

The Salesman

9 Likes

:muscle:

After listening, it feels like today is going to be a good day now, thanks! Love the atmosphere you create and each time it feels like floating in your sound when listening. Also neat find on the vocal sample! Should you find yourself heading towards that direction, I think that the whistle at 1:42 can be the main focus of a whole dance track. It’s got an interesting charisma :beers:

2 Likes

:blue_heart: Thanks for the kind words mate - yea that whistle is delicious haha

2 Likes

Very nice, love the sleepy vibe and vocals

3 Likes

That’s really nice sounding… in particular I like the way that the tails of the samples coalesce into lush sustaining verby atmospheres. Don’t how you did it but it reminds me of the kind of textures you can get from OBNE’s Sunlight. Lush!

I’m a newbie the Mission Briefs but I’m having such a good time working on a track for the current HipHop challenge, I’m going to see if I can find some time tomorrow and over the weekend to have a go at this one too.

3 Likes

Yeah very much digging this Nate. Lovely textures and space and choice of sounds. That whistle is chef’s kiss :man_cook:

I’ve got covid (all up in my ears no less) but been cooking something up which I hope to share soon.

3 Likes

@jeye_musik Welcome aboard, and no pressure! If you feel a dope vibe and want to share it with us feel free to bless us with your grooves!

@looms Ahhh no that sucks hope you feel better soon man!

5 Likes

Listening to this album over and over for inspiration and this may be for the jazz nerds, but hearing Herbie Hancock on piano on some straight jazz vs. his 80s fusion stuff is a treat because it’s early days Herb breaking out of “classical” jazz form and assumedly he only ventured out because of Shorter being of the same mindset. Didn’t know the two had such a tight relationship until after his passing and reading his wiki :unamused:

1 Like

Look after yourself hope you recover quickly! Look forward to hearing what you’re cooking up!

@looms @jeye_musik thanks mates!

I’m using ‘Simpler’ for those trumpet chords which I have looping on one of the tails while the notes are held - with some big spacey convolution reverb to finish off the job :slight_smile: I’m assuming that’s what gets the credit, the other samples from the track are using Echo :v:

3 Likes

Cool stuff, always good to get a timely reminder that using a few things well can be so, so effective.

Yeah, I really enjoyed Herbie’s contribution to this piece… I was lucky enough to see him live last year and he dedicated playing some of Wayne’s composition to him. Was superb.

Anyway, I’ve got the afternoon off work so it’s time to fire up the DT and see what I can do…

2 Likes

A quick one. Kick and bass + Shorter.

8 Likes

I’m somewhat conflicted on what to say because your track is both tough and smooth! Awesome builds leading up to the mid section changeup, which is a very tasty switch, and then reverting back to the og groove is wonderful! Well done and thanks for sharing/ charging us up today :beers:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Late submission but here you go guys. Just normal OT stuff but I keep running out of tracks so my tracks sound bare atm, which is why I want another OT to pair, badly.

10 Likes

Yooo this is fonky! For some reason I’m imagining it on in the background whilst Stretch & Bobbito goof about :radio::fire:

1 Like