Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 07 | The Gondwana Orchestra Featuring Dwight Trible - The Creator Has A Master Plan

Finally finished my Beat Battle track. Now Im conflicted to start another track after already putting in so much work… I don’t want to abandon it out of frustration… Plus, my Maschine mk3 is coming in tomorrow… might wait and use this extravaganza to learn her.

2 Likes

Nice one!! I expect a Spinscott quality jam in a few days :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Did you see me post Spinscott before?

This is my absolute favorite Spinscott vid.

2 Likes

I haven’t! I fell into a hole of his content recently really impressive stuff

1 Like

I can’t wait till the votings done for the DnB battle that’s going on. I really want to show you the track I made, inspired by Spinscott in a major way. But I cheat and use TR Rec, I’m no finger drummer.

Love to hear what you think.

1 Like

I don’t know what to classify this as.

3 Likes

haha story of my life mate

This is a very cool groove - I was expecting it to break or drop into something a bit harder - which is funny because this is feedback I get on my stuff from time to time and it’s always unexpected!

Feels like this could develope into something much bigger - those vocals were a tease too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah… I had to bust it out on the 404, and its too hard to arrange on her… Tonight is the only chance i can work on something for a mission brief.

The Maschine is going to take SOME TIME to figure out… its more than just a controller… its a whole workstation… and once shes in the bag, I can get to making more complex stuff.

2 Likes

I hope that’s not dissapointing feedback btw - I never know what to do with it myself as if I don’t go to that place it’s probably intentional, but it’s interesting that sometimes people expect it. Not sure how to break that feedback down or make it useful tbh…

2 Likes

No, I take it as a compliment. Means you want to hear more of it and I was on the right track. I could develop it more, I just need to get some roadblocks out of my way and the 404, while a great sampler, its not a great production tool. So I bail on things after i get to a certain bar count.

It kinda sucks too, because I just got good at the 404 to realize its limitations, and now I have to learn another piece of gear to do pretty much the same thing.

2 Likes

We’re all with you, man! It took me a really long time to really burn into memory the bare basics of my machines, and I’m still nowhere near where I want to be.

The beat is fresh though and a totally different sound :muscle: I agree with @natehorn man I was waiting for a drop, too :wink: in fairness, it might be that the ears are getting a tiny bit spoiled with all the heat coming out of the past challenges. Did you get that sitar sounding sample from the sample track? :ok_hand:

1 Like

I used a sample from a Paragon kit.

Damn. Maybe I need to go back and refire up the 404.

I was going to go to deep dive in some Maschine tutorials, but I feel like I’m being pushed to do better.

1 Like

Right on it was a neat sample! Totally forgot you just got one recently have fun over there in the lab! :man_scientist:

1 Like

Okay… i whipped up a B part.

2 Likes

Ahh yeah that B side turned into an uplifting jam! :beers:

2 Likes

Its a bit of a Frankenstein beat. I went in and tried to make something with new chops and ended up using the original ones I didn’t use.

Its weird, but when Im chopping a sample, I get stuck going down a path, and its hard to go back and objectively look at the source to try another approach. I wanted to try a tribe called quest type beat, but ended up with what I got, which is more Qtip Viverant thing solo type beat.

RIP Phife Dawg

2 Likes

Samples are hard. and I bought a whole bunch of them.

1 Like

The universe has spoken through you my good man! :mage:

This was the idea about what I was trying to accomplish… I just wanted to try to articulate my first idea… I cant get the kick to line up perfectly though, and I want to get onto the Maschine now.

Good run though!

3 Likes

Here’s something I knocked up.
I rearranged the bassline and put some bits over it.

Some of the levels are a little bit off but I guess it’ll do

6 Likes