Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 07 | The Gondwana Orchestra Featuring Dwight Trible - The Creator Has A Master Plan

HO HO HO - Father Nate and @aarb420 just slid down your chimney and dropped a doozy in your lap!

santa

I don’t have any actual Christmas music in my collection - but I’ve found a sleeper christmas hit in hiding, and it’s a cracker with lots to dig into - we’ve got amazing vocals, flutes, pianos, double bass, percussion - it’s all here, with nary a harsh sax in sight!

The Gondwana Orchestra Featuring Dwight Trible - The Creator Has A Master Plan

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and little timmy bless him he needs music in his life.

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music/noise
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

You can use as much or as little of the track as you like - add whatever other instruments/samples you like. No winners, no losers, just good times*

Here is the high-quality vinyl recording of the track, please delete it after using :pray:

DOWNLOAD WAV

DEADLINE Sunday , January 1st, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, January 1st, 2023, or be faced with a brief moment of regret. You could also submit something after that date too, we’d still like to hear what you make!

COMPENSATION

Hearts and compliments from the community*

Enjoy yourselves and join us in the chat for existential crisis and advice! :purple_heart:

* Not guaranteed

6 Likes

Oh yeah there some dnb trapped in that one… I’m in.:+1:

3 Likes

This track feels magical, nice one! :beers:

1 Like

I think the intro would be great hip hop, and the flute part would be great DnB.

I just woke up, and will brew coffee and fire up the 404. Time to get in the lab, and chop and cook.

Damn I got so much to produce.

1 Like

Yo. This is a straight banger!

I pulled all the parts that I wanted.

The intro is giving me some hard A Tribe Called Quest vibes. Electric Relaxation is my ultimate one favorite song that I want to hear as I lay dying.

(Fun fact on why I love Apple and my iPhone… when I start to write A Tribe Called Quest, as soon as I type Tribe, autocomplete suggests the rest of the words.)

And the middle flute solo is going to be a DnB track. I also pulled the outro for his vocals to make a synth out of by playing it chromatically on the pads. Then the final out will go with the beginning part.

That’s the plan anyways.

2 Likes

Nice one I’m going to have a play tomorrow when I can get away from the chocolate🙌

1 Like

I was making some little Christmas beats today and I incorporated the sample into the second beat that starts at 1:31. I think it’s pretty cool.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah y’all!

7 Likes

This is great. I’m always really impressed with how all your stuff sounds. Was the sampletrak involved?

1 Like

:raised_hands: Thanks for kicking us off with some great beats!

I think the piano’s used in the second track if I’m not mistaken

2 Likes

I was asking if @Doug had used his sampletrak sampler or if it was all dt

2 Likes

Yeah, it was all Digitakt. I speed things up before I record them into the Digitakt so I get some of that same sample rate reduction kind of effect.

And yeah, it’s the main body of the second beat. I chopped and pitched that section that comes in a little after the 3 minute mark.

And thanks!

2 Likes

haha doh
sandwich

1 Like

I went a bit off-piste with this one but really enjoyed it - I started doing some sample prep in Ableton and ended up creating the whole track there. Brought in some more sample material and used Wavetable for a bit of extra flavour.

Viper the Creator

5 Likes

@Doug man, those abrupt shifts between tracks are delicious! Fresh collection of beats for Christmas, and loved the energy on your track 2! :ok_hand:

@natehorn Dope build up on that track bruv! Your vocal chops are fantastic and that bassline is funky! :muscle:

Hope you all are having a Merry Christmas, and even if you are alone on this day you can be certain in that I will be enjoying several adult beverages alongside you in spirit! :beers: :christmas_tree:

1 Like

The Great Pharaoh Sanders

4 Likes

Didn’t realise this was based on his works, really interesting!

Saxophonist and composer Pharoah Sanders is often imitated but, never matched. His spiritual free-floating style, marked by his distinctive tenor saxophone tone makes him instantly recognizable. On Colors , the Gondwana Orchestra does not attempt to mimic the master, as the album does not include a single saxophonist. Instead of saxophone, the focus is on pianist Taz Modi and vocalist Dwight Trible. The lack of saxophone gives the band more room to make Sanders music their own, making Colors a true tribute album, instead of an imitation album.

2 Likes

Pharaoh Sanders is one of the guys I feared sampling for a while because everyone has sampled him, and despite that fact, the results are always fresh. It’s an internal conflict that should not be had, but exists lmao. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Go for it.

2 Likes

True. It doesnt come off as imitation but a tribute.

1 Like

Really nice @Doug and a great selection of other beats too.
And @natehorn an enjoyable listen, and nice vocal overdub as well.

I’m gonna have a chop of it now and see if I can get anything from it

2 Likes