Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 04 | The New Birth - Blind Baby

This came out awesome man, well done! :beers:
Is there a reason why you cut it so short towards the end? I could listen to that on repeat for a while, great groove!

1 Like

Good question and something a few people have mentioned to me. Partially itā€™s because I did this in an hour or so mostly just so I wouldnā€™t be defeated by the track, but I do struggle to make things over a minute, or two.

I kind of internalised the Trevor Horn comment that no two bars should ever be the same in a piece of music so I get a bit worried about just copy pasting a bunch of bars that people will get bored. Maybe I should worry less, maybe I need to get into a bit more automation and moving filters around and stuff.

1 Like

Alright guys, a little late, but I was having a trying time cleaning up the track :older_man:

Same formula with the main beef being cooked on OT, an external scratch intro that I got from an old blooper record, some drums, and Big Pun. Otherwise, all the other sounds are from the sample track.

Beat:

Beat + Big Pun

6 Likes

Thatā€™s actually true and a neat concept, but the effort required is certainly going to be greater with that approach. For an hour that was sweet man! You guys are so talented for how quickly you can pump out songs :beers:

1 Like

Thanks dude, absolutely love your track. I need to get into acapellas and stuff.

There was another hour of fun with Baby Audio plugins on Bitwig afterwards to get it sounding shiney :slight_smile:

1 Like

smashed it :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

:fire:

2 Likes

I felt this

1 Like

Can we negotiate to at least 4 bars? I ainā€™t tryin to kill myself

5 Likes

I am using an off grid mess on some parts too, autochopped ā€˜wrongā€™ but this can actually work out in some ways, avoiding drums and finding chops you might not normally go for if your chopping on the grid
Depends on the style and your methods I suppose, just thought Iā€™d throw this out there. If you autochop an old song it will be off anyway as it wasnā€™t played to the grid, maybe some smart software can get around this, Iā€™m not sure since I donā€™t use a computer

I was one of them, hope you didnā€™t take it the wrong way. Nothing wrong with short and sweet. Iā€™d take it as a compliment that people wanted to hear more - always leave them wanting more

I have also had a hard time getting out of loop city so I definitely understand the pain of getting what feels like a full track going

I think about this as well, I love a good change up or evolution through a track

However

There is something to be said about the hypnotic aspect of music, zone you out go into a trance kind of stuff.

I like music that will surprise you as an active listener, but also things that chill you out in the grooves of hypnosis. As a flip of your statement Iā€™ve also heard 4bars for the dj is 8bars for the crowd or something like that

From what I understand part of what brought ā€˜idmā€™ about was that a law was made in the 90s attempting to outlaw ā€˜repetitive musicā€™ as a way to put a stop to raves. Some clever artists changed small parts over the bars of the track to work around this. Genius, and some great music came out of this too

Not sure where Iā€™m going with all this, but I thing a key aspect of music is playing with the balance of the expected and the unexpected. Music that has no repetition at all would be pretty wild and it is a key feature of music - rhythm sections, riffs, motifs etc go so far back and surely it was incorporated naturally throughout time for good reason

:rofl:

2 Likes

Alright bruv pause right there. WTF are you talking about, pal.
Your loop city is our journey, where you at?

2 Likes

This is a key point IMO - there are different types of music and some benefit more from repetition than others. Sometimes itā€™s how you work and play with the anticipation too. Holding back on a drop or introducing a turnaround at an unexpected time.

Elektron sequencers work great for turnarounds. Iā€™ll often have something on 3:3 on one track and 4:4 on another which helps to create a sort of polymeter variation situation.

I get really into hypnotic loops though.

2 Likes

I always really appreciate your advice and comments so keep it coming.

It seem like a lot of the computer applications are designed around being really productive with the kind of pre made loops you would buy from splice.
I think I work better with old off grid content chopping by hand and really appreciate a jog wheel for finding my onsets.

I think the Trevor Horn comment was about always having something evolving fading in or out, changing sound etc rather than the patterns needing to chang. Thatā€™s a bit harder with a groove box unless you are playing it live.

Next mission is going to be to try and make something thatā€™s 4 minutes long!

2 Likes

Welp, the week got away from me, got some shit to take care of, but if i got time after im done, ill throw together a quick recording of what i was messin around with and post it up

2 Likes

Hey everyone, thank you for participating and dropping fresh, new hits on us this week! Also thank you to the homies that came by and hung out with us! Looking forward to seeing you all at the next challenge. @natehorn is deep in the trenches on the hunt for the next sample! :beers:

@Skorheim Thatā€™s okay! The week is just a general timeframe, and we know everyone has varying life events that they have to attend to. But, if you want to share your track, you are more than welcome to. Always down to hear something fresh! :muscle:

1 Like

Do it.

Itā€™s not a vote thing so it doesnā€™t matter if you miss the deadline.

1 Like

5 Likes

put a few hours into this tonight. a4 (kick) + ot (with only the source material). thanks for the opportunity to get chopping and arranging!

Iā€™ve never made anything that sounds this much like the old MODs I used to listen to :rofl:

5 Likes

I feel like Iā€™m waiting for a cracked Amiga game to load.

I love it!

1 Like

Catching up on this thread

Finally listened to everyoneā€™s tracks. Itā€™s been a busy week, and I wanted to finish mine before I listened to everything, had a hard time finding time to get around to it. It was cool listening to them all in one go, itā€™s great to hear everyoneā€™s different takes on the same sample source.

@natehorn jaunty tune with lively drums, nice mix of little chops and longer samples, also I think itā€™s great you post videos, we get to see that crossfader action

@BLKrbbt I liked the sketch, nice pitched up sample bits on the full track too, I didnā€™t know you could pitch things around like that on the sp404. Maybe if you combined the first one with the second you could have your a/b sections

@monquixote as you know I always like your tracks. Something about your sound just catches my ear. Glad you got the chopping all worked out

@aarb420 slammin track this week. Raw vintage sampler sound vibes. I could hear some timestrech in parts, but im not sure how you got the 12bit sound going on the ot, nice. Drum choice was ace

@protrusion Yes. Wanted to hear more of this. Disco chiptuneā€¦ nice sample choice here I wouldnā€™t have thought of, sounds familiar yet unique at the same time

Same. I would think this it especially true of using samples and thatā€™s how itā€™s worked out for me in these extravaganzas. I might have a nudge of direction that comes through, but I just let it guide me. With no timestreching I canā€™t even pick the tempo unless I force it. I think this can be a great way to make music, who needs a plan

Yes exactly, weā€™ll said. Knowing and building on expectations and subverting those is powerfull, especially when used together

And I love the #:# conditions on elektrons and also using different track legnths. I never got into the appeal of step sequencing too much before using them and this was a huge part of it to me

Thanks, good to know Iā€™m hopefully not annoying everyone like I might be with this super long post.
Truth is I donā€™t really know that much, but I am happy to help where I can

True, I donā€™t know software workflow but I bet many things are much easier there. Not sure how it works on the tracker but on elektrons I just copy over patterns rather than jam out the same one endlessly, although that can be fun too. Itā€™s a bit more work but you can make even small changes parameters, move/ add/ take away a few steps etc pretty quickly and get things moving. Plus you could always just record the track jam like you are playing it live like @natehorn did

For real. I joined here partially as a way to finish tacks, having some structure and a deadline in things like this is helpfull. I never really finished much and they didnt feel like full tracks to me. I would make little loops that I thought sounded alright but didnā€™t really go anywhere, I tried making other parts to go with them but it was hard to figure out how to connect them. They clashed and I couldnā€™t get them to go together weā€™ll. I think getting from loop to full track is a difficult process in the beginning and itā€™s tough to get through that struggle. Unless your just jamming on the same pattern, which is cool to. Cohesive changes that work can be difficult to get to and I am still learning

@monquixote
Also forgot to add about the repetition in music, bill withers says 'i know ā€™ 26 times in a row in aint no sunshine. Wokrs for me, i think its the best part of the song. Interesting that it can even work with vocals, I like the repetitive lyrics of soul coughing for example

Didnā€™t mean to long post all at once but I was caught up with some things, time slipped away from me and I barely made the deadline

Thanks again nate and aarb for getting this thing going and the work you put in, and everyone who puts up tracks here.

5 Likes