Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 04 | The New Birth - Blind Baby

Finally was able to go back to school at 45. Im getting another associates degree… Im now taking an Applied Science in Digital Media major. I also just Graduated with a Fine Arts degree.

This was alot of fun! thank you for doing this… Forcing myself to produce off a sample not of my choosing with a deadline is pushing me past my comfort zone in a good way…

Plus I want to share even the unfinished ideas that i bail on so I can really show the work I put in.

This all is making me better!

4 Likes

4 Likes

:muscle:
That’s awesome man! There is no age limit on learning and improving! Glad to hear you’re having fun and we’re happy to have you join us and share the noises coming from your part of town!

2 Likes

Yeah, I said it here elsewhere, but I had a hard time after Iraq, and finally got enough therapy to finally be able to walk back into a school setting. I had these GI Bill benefits just sitting there, just waiting to be used up.

4 Likes

And in terms of music, I never make stuff I hear in my head… it’s more like I have no idea what I’m doing and I just struggle to find something that sounds good, then I just keep layering over that.

2 Likes

Thank you for your service. That sounds really rough, man, but take that as an achievement that you’re able to move past that moment.

I can’t really say much to aid, in a proper sense, but I tend to find peace in making music (after the initial setup chaos of course). :yum: It’s a nice way to wander.

I’m pretty sure any reasonable person will admit the same. I believe the experienced people in any field have just seen certain things more often than others, and it’s just a matter of knowing how to jump over certain obstacles in the moment vs. spending time where it may not be necessary. Keep at it, man!

Will join soon when this thing stops building :tongue:

2 Likes

Very cool groove mate, some real gems in this composition! There’s a little melody that wants to poke through, seems to be trying to find itself at around 0:17-0:20 mostly in the right channel - I hear it a little later too it’s like there’s a bridge hiding in there.

2 Likes

Cool feedback.

I think going over and over chopping this so many times dulled my ears to the song. Maybe if I produced something else then revisited, something would come up.

1 Like

:100: Happens to me

I’ve tried to make something with Serato, Bitwig and Renoise with this and 3 for 3 in total fails.

I don’t think me and 6/8 get on.

Sorry to hear that

You could just chop into pieces and then restructure into 4/4

Find a tempo that fits

This one seems trick though, nothing is isolated

2 Likes

@monquixote I’m doing the same as what @1-2 is suggesting and it’s definitely possible!

Does require some extra :muscle: grease. But, it could always be something software related, so what are you going through exactly with your daws/serato? Are you trying to setup 4/4 loops and the program is not sticking to the groove properly? :thinking:

@1-2 and @everyone I, wholeheartedly, did not expect this to be as challenging of a sample as it turned out to be, and you definitely aren’t wrong in your observation. When I listened to it I thought there were more isolated parts for samples, but this band definitely figured out how to future-proof themselves from us lmao.

2 Likes

It is a bit of a pickle, but im determined to make somthin with it. im gonna try isolating all the parts with saxophone and delete them, then reassess. If nothing else, ill just use the entire song as one giant wavetable

2 Likes

I have this LP, or at least used to. When I listened to the whole thing again today, I still loved what appeared to be track one on side B… probably quite sample-able. and there was another track on side B which I think I’ve heard the rhythm sampled from before. AND somewhere in the middle of side B, the ladies are singing “THINK! THINK THINK!” which reminded me a lot of a part of “toss that beat in the garbage can” by the B-52’s… where the ladies of the B-52s are singing “BEAT” to roughly the same rhythm & tune…

anyway I want to try my hand at this challenge but not sure how far I’ll get! (mainly due to being busy IRL right now)

2 Likes

It’s funny because I found this to be the least challenging to work with out of all the records so far :crazy_face: I felt spoilt for choice.

Not gloating! Just an interesting observation.

1 Like

I’ve been reflecting and I think having the whole track as a wav has led me down a bad path.

Normally I’m limited by my Polyend Tracker so I’m just sampling in a few seconds in a couple of places using a line in cable and then having to be manual and forensic. Because I had the wav I thought “This is easy I’ll just do it in a DAW”. Because I’m so old school I thought all the fancy tools like Serato and Bitwig chop to drum machine will help me, but I think they work well if you are using a kit of premade loops, but for this challenging material they just create an off grid mess which I don’t know how to fix.

I suspect if I just went back to the PT and sampled 30 seconds I would probably be fine!

The lesson is don’t think new tools that you don’t properly understand are going to help you.

3 Likes

@skorheim let’s go! :muscle:

@protrusion No way, that’s awesome! There really are a lot of really great tracks on this album, both for listening and sampling enjoyment, and it’s one of those rare albums with positive/thought-provoking messages in the lyrics. I just recently picked up the album myself, and was pleasantly surprised, so I thought everyone here would get a kick out of it, too. Also, no pressure, if you find the time we’re happy to hear what you come up with! It’s interesting how a groove can bury itself in your head for so long, only to be recalled in an in instant! :beers:

@monquixote you got this, man. You just threw out PT and now my eyes and ears have become even more focused on you. NO PRESSURE. :innocent:

Honestly, I’m siding with @natehorn on this though.

3 Likes

Another day left to get your efforts in - hope you all haven’t lost your minds! :laughing:

1 Like

Started fresh again and am having better luck this time around, i have tomorow off work so i should be able to get something together

2 Likes

Not my finest work, but an hour with the Polyend Tracker and I have a jam to share.

Phew, thanks for the support dudes.

5 Likes