Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 04 | The New Birth - Blind Baby

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

What a week it has been! Friendship, mini drama, and inspirational tracks for all to enjoy.

As promised, we have collected samples, and full tracks from the participating members who attended our third event. Each member has generously donated the files they used in their sampling endeavors to be shared with the wonderful elektronauts community!

The Sample Extra 03 sample pack can be accessed, and downloaded, by following this link:

SAMPLE EXTRA 03 - WEALTH

Please, share the pack with anyone that you think will benefit from it’s use, and if you enjoyed the samples, kindly share some love to the artists who helped make them. :beers:

On to the good stuff…

This week, @natehorn and I have chosen to focus on “Blind Baby” by a group called The New Birth. The track starts off the album of the same name, which was released on April 01, 1975, on the now defunct, Buddha Records label. Some lite wiki digging into this lesser-known group lead to the discovery that the group’s members, Leslie Wilson, and Jerry Bell eventually left the group after disagreements. Wilson went on to replace the lead singer of the popular funk group L.T.D. for a brief period, and Bell would go on to become the lead vocalist of the well-known Dazz Band. Pretty neat.

Here is a link to the track in 16bit/44.1KHz, please delete it after using:

The New Birth - Blind Baby

(note: the original file size was too large to upload)

YOUTUBE PREVIEW:

Album Cover:

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even the handful of spirits casually floating around in your rooms.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday, November 13, 2022

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, November 13, 2022, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. When the event is over, we will release a sample pack containing samples that were used in the making of each track (if you would like to contribute to the sample pack please feel free to message either @natehorn, or myself to send in your one-shots and slices!)

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collection, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

6 Likes

Is it open to any genre?

2 Likes

@BLKrbbt Yup, anything goes! :beers:

1 Like

Yes! Im in

2 Likes

@Skorheim Glad to have you on board! :muscle:

1 Like

Mission accepted.

Good to be a part of the Syndicate.

2 Likes

:beers:

3 Likes

I had real fun with this one! Great sample choice @aarb420 :boom:

I wasn’t strict with my usage here - took what I wanted and layered in some of my own drums - treated it more like I would normal sample content and had fun. I couldn’t help bringing in some Prelinger Archive stuff - but I’ve got an instrumental version too which I think stands up on its own for anyone that prefers a bit more of minimalist vibe.

Getting a lot more comfortable with the OT loving these challenges :raised_hands:

Instrumental MP3

11 Likes

AHHHH YEAH!!! SMOOVE JAM BRUV!

That tease of the upcoming sample before you dropped at the 2:35 mark is so damn hot I audibly said “Damn, yeee” out loud :muscle:

Really enjoyed your delays on this one! It feels like every sound is dancing with each other, and that vocal exit on the video is delicious. Super clean production, man, well done! :beers:

1 Like

just a quick sketch…

8 Likes

Thanks mate and glad you enjoyed the journey! As I was building out the patterns I went in a few directions but I think I made the right choice in the end :raised_hands:

Nice beat mate! Definitely deserves a bit more time with it if you were wanting to :ok_hand:

I was getting frustrated and had to leave for school. But I wanted to put out something at least.

I cleared out the pads and want to start fresh and try a different approach.

To be honest, I’ve only been producing for about a year. And this track is a little advanced, with the sax being so prominent.

I tried chopping the bass, then the drum hits, then different sax parts, and I keep cutting similar samples that I’m trying to figure out how to sequence on the SP404.

2 Likes

…oooooo…noooooo…first there was all that talk talk/mark hollis sonic bliss i had to snip around to avoid touching it’s magic…

and now it’s a sax played overexpressively only and all over the place, which is that one thing i hate the most, i have to find a work around…!?..damn…

but never the less and what so ever, i seem to devlop a hang to this little extravaganza challenges… so let’s see, errr, hear…

ahh, and @BLKrbbt …really like to hear, where u’d take ur sketch if u give it a bit more time and effort…so far, that sounded promising…on a sp404…!?..oooook…don’t look any further…it’s all in that sketch already…just further develop what u already got…for now, it’s a great intro…

wonder if i could sample from there instead…?.. :wink:

1 Like

I think with this track in particular it’s more fun finding one shots and experimenting with the existing melodies, rather than trying to isolate specific sounds - there’s so much good stuff to be had in there. I had some patterns going at one point doing a lot of reversal and repitching stuff and that worked really well on some of the parts

2 Likes

That’s what I’m going to try to do when I get some free time. Shorten up the samples.

1 Like

Im also at the point that I know i need to work on doing more A/B parts, and arranging in general.

I was going to use this to try out Serato, but because it’s in 6/8 it completely freaks it out and it calculates the wrong BPM :frowning:

1 Like

Yoooo. That’s why I’m having trouble sequencing this!?!

Dang, this isn’t jus a mission brief, but a Mission:Impossible brief.

1 Like

I was just making mine in 6/8
And other little parts chopped in 4/4

2 Likes

@BLKrbbt This is dope man, thanks for sharing! There aren’t any limits to submissions, and if you feel like creating/sharing more, we’re always all ears :muscle: What’s your major in school?

@reeloy This is a perfect opportunity to channel your innermost hatred of the instrument into a sax-killer track.

@monquixote did you try yelling at/ hitting your equipment a few times?

@1-2 It’s neat that you guys were able to deduce the time signature of the sample track! I just read more about 6/8 and according to this site “6/8 is frequently used in melodies for children’s rhymes” so in that sense, it’s fitting that the band used that timing for this specific track. “Blind Baby” sort of sounds like an adult lullaby, in a good way, alongside adult sodie pops :beers:

2 Likes