Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 03 | Unknown Artist - Wealth

It’s that time again!

This time we’ve got one of my favourite finds, an uncredited track titled Wealth, which is going to be a bit of a meta-challenge as it itself samples from another track. We’re going deep.

Unknown Artist - Wealth

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and the children of neighbours you don’t like.

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music/noise
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like - add whatever other instruments/samples you like. No winners, no losers, just good times

Here is the high-quality recording of the track, please delete it after using, pick up the record if you can find it!

DOWNLOAD Unknown Artist - Wealth

DEADLINE Sunday , October 30th, 2022

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, October 30, 2022, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. When the event is over, we will release a pack containing samples that were used in the making of each track (if you would like to contribute to the sample pack please feel free to message either @aarb420, or myself to send in your one-shots and slices!)

COMPENSATION

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

SAMPLE EXTRA 02

The Sample Extra 02 sample pack from the last challenge can be accessed, and downloaded, by following this link:

SAMPLE EXTRA 02 - Brother Jack McDuff - Mystic John (1970)

Please, share the pack with anyone that you think will benefit from it’s use, and if you enjoyed the samples, kindly share some love to the artists who helped make them. :beers:

4 Likes

…ooo ooo…ur unknown artist better stays undercover and unknown, since i hear a bunch of talk talk / mark hollis bits and pieces all over this sonic place…

which is all the gold there…while all the rest seems pretty narrow minded…

1 Like

Yea the samples in the track are from Spirit of Eden (same track name, Wealth) :v:

A strong review, I look forward to hearing your entry! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Ok then goodbye!

3 Likes

@natehorn …on diving sampling extravaganza 04 i’ll join ur cake…no matter what it will be…promise…if it’s not again, all harvesting one of the most beautiful voices and mindsets of music history…

@natehorn MAN THIS IS :fire: definitely not the track that I heard when you shared the link all that time ago! This groove is funky, and already getting some ideas! :beers:

@reeloy Consider taking a step down from your horse, and use this as an opportunity to challenge yourself to make something, regardless! I’m not necessarily used to sampling this syle, but I’m still going to try to make something out of it, despite the outcome. We’re all among friends just trying to have fun here, so there is no need to display any sample extremism. If anything, display your knowledge of sampling in a track. You can use as little of the sample as you want!

3 Likes

@reeloy - IMO the whole point of sampling is to take the unfamiliar, strange or banal and turn it into something you really like. If anything you should be more excited about transforming what you hear as an ‘average groove’ into something awesome. Show us your skills!

3 Likes

Also @natehorn this track is actually awesome (which makes it more of a challenge!). Read the posts before listening to it so wasn’t sure what to expect, but this is quite something. Some choice ear candy - that organ buildup before the breakdown at 3 minutes or so, and then the next buildup at 4 minutes along with all those filter sweeps. Great stuff.

3 Likes

all sounds from the sample source- nothing added

9 Likes

can’t wait for reeloy to roast my track

5 Likes

Swear, you have to release an album called ‘Journeys’ or something related :beers:

That was a real treat and your progressions are so connected the whole track that it just naturally builds. Some moments felt like a NES Mario underground boss level before that massive last drop towards the end :muscle: Intro loop is a club banger might have to sample that! :eyes: So many genres are being blended in one track!

3 Likes

Nuts :clap::clap:

2 Likes

What impresses me the most with this is how much variation and depth there is to it. It’s seemingly endless, without sounding hapenstance or chaotic, it’s far from random or generative, but takes on that quality.

It’s not the kind of music I make but I still find it fascinating from a workflow perspective, I’m sure I could use many of these techniques to improve my stuff even if the end result was very different.

2 Likes

So here’s the result of me messing about with the OT last night. Some light mastering/effects in Ableton for the export but otherwise it’s all OT and the sample track!

Just kind of sunk into this rythm. I also made a start on another one I might try and finish later/tomorrow…

7 Likes

That is a phat groove bruv!

Caught myself now doing just the same :beers:

Sounds like it’s building up into something intense and that stutter outro was fresh!

:eyes:

2 Likes

OK - this one was tricky as I kept zoning out while making it. Focus! Anyway, all sounds from the sample, all done in Octatrack. I did cheat by first putting the sample through Djay Pro AI to separate the beats from the melodies as I was having a tough time trying to do this directly in Octatrack.

6 Likes

Kinda hard when there’s fire present! :beers:

That was a wild ride and you’re really putting Octa to work on this one! Butter transitions all around and it was a sad day when the beat ended… only to be played again and rejoice :yum:

Do you recommend that software? That’s dope that you were able to separate the drums because I’m with you on having a tough time on this one, and took some time rummaging to find a few empty spots here and there, but nothing impossible… ahem.

1 Like

Beat

Beat + Black Moon

All of the samples, besides the drums/acapella/scratches, were from the sample track with OT doing some heavy lifting for me. I mainly played around with some little reverb tails and I think a kick drum sample.

There’s also a little message in the black moon version pertaining to the previous drama that sparked this beat almost instantaneously. Thanks @reeloy for the unintended inspiration and @natehorn for the sample flavors! :tongue:

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @aarb420 - it’s very much appreciated! I feel like I’m getting a handle on the OT now, though I’m sure there’s a bazillion features I’m yet to discover.

As to Djay Pro AI, I’m no DJ so can’t comment on its core functionality, but I somehow stumbled cross its ‘neural mix’ feature (I may have been googling AI in music production at the time). Basically this feature lets you separate drums from melody, or vocals from the band. Kind of like creating stems out of a finished track. At this job it’s disturbingly good. The pricing is a weird subscription model, but you can basically get the first month free, then cancel or pay about $6 per month after that.

For this track I dumped the tune into the software, messed with the neural mix settings and exported two stems into Octatrack - one with the rhythm and one with the the melodies. This gave me a bit more room to move when combining different elements of the song.

1 Like

:beers:
It definitely seems like a neat tool to be aware of, and thanks for sharing your honest experience with it. It’s hard to find a reliable/consistent app/soft to perform that task but will definitely have to do some further digging on this one because it looks interesting.

1 Like