Best way to connect Digitakt & Digitone?

Hello Elektronauts!

How I connect the wonderful Digitakt & Digitone-Machines best way playing smooth together?
It would be great if someone could write me a little instruction : )
How to set up MIDI, AUDIO and internal Settings, and whats maybe to consider.

Thank you very much and have a nice weekend,

Alex : )

1 Like

Page 67 (section 16.2) of the Digitone manual details a typical setup for using the Digitakt and Digitone together. Have fun. :okej:

8 Likes

Oh! Thank you very much!

Best, Alex : )

1 Like

Hi!

So, i connected and set it up like written in the manual ( and BOs Video) all wents well, Digitakt sends Clock to Digitone, but Programchanges , like synchron Patternchanges donā€™t run.
What doing im wrong? Patterns donā€™t change on both machines when i change a pattern on the digitakt, nothing happens on the Digitone?
I have checked all settings, (send, receive etc on both devices)

Thank youuuu!

Best, Alex : )

Iā€™ve had the same issue- you have to specify a specific channel for the pgch to be sent and received.

Also, if youā€™re doing poly rhythms, make sure the ch. length is the same

2 Likes

As Ryan said, thereā€™s a specific setting for the MIDI channels used for sending & listening to program change instructions - in MIDI -> CHANNELS, and scroll to the bottom.

3 Likes

THANKS! I THINK IT WORKS! : -)

ON digitakt MIDI > Channels > Prog Chg Out Ch 1 & ON digitone Channels > Prog Chg IN also Ch 1 RIGHT?!
Only one takt later the digitone steps in, they are not change the pattern at the same time ā€¦

1 Like

Make sure you have both updated to the latest OS. 1.02 for tone and 1.08 for takt. This was a known bug in the previous takt OSā€™s. If not that, make sure ch. length matches on both.

3 Likes

Small counter arguement/Devils advocate for anyone reading this thread:

One thing I would say, my initial messing around linking these two together, after having created a ton of beats/loops/whatever on them individually, mixing and matching pattens on them both is some of the most fun Iā€™ve had. (the midi link was still linking the tempo) I wouldnā€™t have found out if I had linked up the program midi switcher straight away.

6 Likes

I thought I need only one MIDI cable to connect the Digitakt with the Digitoneā€¦
According to the first two steps described in the Manual Ā§16.2, I need 1 MIDI cable + 2 TRS cables (+ an Audio Splitter cable - two 1/8" into one 1/4" - for my Marshall Killburn speaker). Can someone please confirm this?

Quote from the Manual:
ā€œ1. Use a standard MIDI cable to connect the Digitakt MIDI OUT jack with the Digitoneā€™s MIDI IN jack.
2. Use two TR or TRS cables to connect the OUTPUT L/R from the Digitakt to the INPUT L/R on the Digitone.
3. ā€¦ā€

I never connect program change because it gives great opportunities for transitions between patterns in a live setup. I do put all muting to the digitakt. It frees up the track buttons on the Digitone to select tracks to modulate. Somehow I always get lost if I use the Digitone track buttons both for muting and selection. I must say these two works really neatly together

5 Likes

Hi
I revive this old threat because have so e doubts in connecting the two machines together.
Firstā€¦ all the settings well explained in the video above have to be done and set every time I open a new project. Is it normal? Isnā€™t there a way to keep them set in general?
Secondā€¦is there a way to recall the project only from one of the two machines and have it loaded also on the other one?
Thanks for your help.
Regards
Giorgio

I donā€™t think there is a way to set this as the default project. You could always make a ā€˜templateā€™ project yourself. Meaning that you create an empty project, change the settings and safe as (using the ā€œsafe toā€ function Ik the project menu) something like ā€œdigicombosettingsā€™ and load this project when you want to start something new. Create some music and then safe as a new project. See page 58 from the manual for further info on project operations.

Regarding your second question. I donā€™t think that is possible, but I am not an expert, so I might be missing something.

1 Like

For Elektrons, yes.

No, but follow @Jediliciousā€™s advice about creating a template project, then load it up each time and save it as a new project straight away ā€“ leaving it til later on is only going to lead you to accidentally saving over your template project :slight_smile:

No.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never understood why the guy in that video has the audio levels set so high. Around 27 was unity from memory

1 Like

Another question hereā€¦
This time the doubts are about the mute function.
Basically I paired the DT and the DN so that the DT can do all the mutings (basically the first 4 midi tracks of the DT control the DN tracks).
However this is possible only in the project muting (I.e. when the trigs are green ) and not in pattern muting (when they are purple). Is there a way to make it work also in the pattern muting mode? In this way I can save my patterns with the tracks I need duly triggered and the other mutedā€¦
Thanks for your help

1 Like

I also followed the instruction given by Ivar (mentioned video), which I think are great and work like a charm. Only thing I canā€™t figure out is how to connect a midi controller (keys) to operate the DN for playing tunes, as the midi-in is already occupied by the DT. Does anyone have tips on this? Thanks!

Good question. I will have to solve that in near future, too.
Iā€™ve found Kenton Merge-4.
My idea: Digitaktā€™s and keyboardā€™s MIDI Out connected with Merge-4 Ins. Merge-4 Out connected to Digitoneā€™s In. Recording notes or transport control by DT should be alternatively possible though both act as MIDI masters. However this is only my theory without prove yet.

Hopefully some experienced experts will join in because DT, DN and MIDI keyboard should be a usual setup.

Edit: A further question are the MIDI channels for keyboard and Digitakt.

1 Like

I have asked Ivar this as well (via Youtube), but no response yet. Damn himā€¦ ;-)ā€¦