Best way to connect Digitakt & Digitone?

Another idea: Keyboard (Master) connected to Digitone’s (slave) MIDI In, Digitone’s MIDI Through connected ti Digitakt’s (slave) MIDI In…

… and how to setup the analog output chain Digitakt => Digitone => Overbridge?
or Digitone => Digitakt => …?

Lots of variables and degrees of freedom! All the different videos on YT that I know imho explain only one solution and don’t provide an overview or configuration principles. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Another idea: if for example you are using MIDI A in DT for controling a track on the DN, you can set the midi channel on the setup page so it receives notes from your keyboard and then send the notes to DN with the channel set in MIDI A.

So, with a example of midi channels:

MIDI controller on channel 1 -> DT MIDI IN and MIDI A track receiving in channel 1, sending in channel 2 -> DT MIDI OUT to DN MIDI IN, with the controlled track receiving im channel 2.

That way, you can also live record the sequencer and still listen the sequence in the DN. You can use the same channel to send and receive in MIDI A, the above is just an example.

2 Likes

Okay, found this video:

Followed his instructions and changed master/slave set up: MIDI Out Sync A to MIDI on DT and DN now sends clock, transport etc. Seems to work…? Any loopholes I’m missing…?

My current Midi routing with Keystep, Digitakt, Digitone is the following:

Keystep Midi Out -> Digitakt Midi In
Digitakt Midi Out -> Digitone Midi In
Digitone Midi Thru -> Keystep Midi In

I did this so that I could use the Digitakt as my clock source, which is less jittery and easier to control than the Keystep, but I also needed to send clock to my Keystep so that I could use the Arp in time with the BPM. I have my Midi channels set up so that 9, 10, 11, 12 on the Digitakt correspond with T1, 2, 3, and 4 on my Digitone. I’ve set Auto channel on both to Midi channel 16 so that I can play in something from the Keystep to whatever track I have selected. I do this because using the Auto Channel is the only way to parameter lock note trigs from a Midi controller. (That I know of) I have Track 16 set to Channel 16 on my Digitakt.

My audio routing is:
Digitone Output LR -> Digitakt Output LR

I do this to use the compressor on the Digitakt and I’m really enjoying the new global Input settings. So much nicer than having to copy the settings on Digitone patterns.

This also allows me to throw a couple of other inputs to the Digitone effects, sometimes I will play a long field recording into the Digitone as texture and use the input effects on that.

7 Likes

THX for that details!

So sorry I didn’t reply to this very helpful contribution! I missed this. Sorry! Thanks! I followed the setup explained by Nick Capron in this video:

I think it’s a bit different from yours? The thing I like about this setup is that I can use my midi keyboard to play tunes on both DN and DT. The thing I like about Ivars setup (earlier mentioned video) though, is that you can control Digitone track mute from the Digitakt. Is that the same as yours? If so, how do you setup the Keystep to play tunes on both DT and DN?

Hey Musacha,

It’s a bit different from mine, I’ll highlight main differences below:

• Nick has different Auto CH for the Digitakt and Digitone, whereas I use Ch. 16 for both.
  • Nick has Digitakt Audio (LR) going into the Digitone, whereas I have my Digitone audio going into the Digitakt (version 1.30)

I am able to use the track mutes as mentioned in Ivar’s video, that’s just a DT setting (Settings > Midi Config > Port Config > Mute Dest (INT+EXT).

I usually have my Keystep set to MIDI channel 16 (Shift + G#4), and I’ll select what track on the Digitakt that I want to play to, either the DT or the DN (MIDI A, B, C, or D).

Let me know if you’d like a video or diagram!

1 Like

Thanks for taking the effort for this! I managed to get things running the way I want it now; can play tunes with my Impulse 25 on both DN and DT. Can mute DN and DT tracks from DT. Was struggling with PROG CH stuff, but managed to get that running as well (more luck than wisdom though…).

What do you mean by “I use Ch. 16 for both”? What is this setting for? Is that for the PROG CH stuff (sorry, I’m a real noob…)?

Ahh, yes good question, I think I was using the wrong terminology.

For both DT and DN, I have AUTO CHANNEL set to 16. This means when it receives input from MIDI CH 16, it will play on the currently selected track. This allows me to then select TRACK 1-8 on the DT or MIDI A, B, C, D or H on the DT and route the Keystep to my Digitone.

When I have MIDI H (16) selected on my DT, my Keystep will control whatever track I have selected on the Digitone. This is the only way to use the Keystep with the Digitone KB SCALE mode or to preview sounds.

1 Like

I like your setup, very similar to mine. One thing is I don’t think the autochannel setup on the DN really affects anything…controlling the DN from the DT’s MIDI tracks means that the DN’s autochannel is never really used.

Ah, thanks! Yes, I think I’ve got my setup the same now. Got everything to work. Thanks again for your input!

1 Like

On my DT, I set MIDI H to CHANNEL 16 so that I can play into whichever track on my Digitone is currently selected. This is the only way to work with the KB SCALE mode from an external MIDI keyboard (it will filter out wrong notes that are not in scale). It also allows you to preview sounds after you double-tap a TRACK button.

I also use this to technique to send CC1 (MODWHEEL) messages to the Digitone.

1 Like

Yes, that makes sense for sure. One thing that simplifies it for me as well is using a MIDI merge box. I run my Keystep into my DT, then both the MIDI Out and MIDI Thru from the DT into the merge box…this way both the Keystep and DT MIDI messages are combined when sent to the DN

2 Likes

Next challenge… Is it possible to sync live recording on both machine? As mentioned, I have the DT set up so it can trigger playback on both DT and DN. Is this also possible for triggering live record on the DN, so the sequence on the DT can play in sync with live record on DN…? Hope you understand what I mean :-)…

As far as I know this requires a work around, especially if you are using a count-in on the master device. What I usually end up doing is just activating live record while a sequence is already playing (it’s not necessary to stop recording before punching in). This method is not quite as slick as synced live recording though because you often have to wait for your sequence to loop back around, which takes time…

Thanks! I tried your suggestion, and I think it works fine. Thanks again!

1 Like

I think I have set this up the same. I also have 8 pads on my Keylab mapped to the 8 tracks in the DT. This way I can record live and use velocity play. Weird thing is the notes on the Keylab do not correspond with the notes on the DT. In order to get a DT C5, I have to set it to C3 on the Keylab. Does anyone know why this is…? Also, I am not able to use Keylab transport control to control the setup (transport receive is checked on both DT and DN).

I’ve these set up and working but I’m finding dn is a lot quieter than dt? (Dt is the master). I also find it’s abit of a struggle to keep the sound from getting muddy and breaking up when all tracks are playing - any reason why? I thinking I’m just maxing out effects on all tracks and it’s crying for help? Anyone got tips with these two on volume and keeping the tracks cleaner?

Sorry, late reply! I currently have my Digitakt set to Stereo In mode, with the Input Level set at 100. My Digitone Master Volume is at about 1/2 of full volume and my Digitakt Master Volume is set to maybe 1/4 of full volume going into my mixer. I have it set up this way just because it’s easiest to remember the values and the levels seem to be good.

Hard to know what’s happening when you say “getting muddy and breaking up when all tracks are playing” but I also find using the base-width filter helps to give the different frequencies space.

1 Like

Muddy sound is usually because multiple signals (tracks) are pushing the same frequencies, signals are too hot(loud), or speakers are crap. You can clean things up by using the master on the DN to control the volume and the tracks levels to adjust presence among tracks.
Some sounds can be dialed way down on level and sound better, higher frequency cut through easily so they don’t need as much presence in the mix. Effects, if used without restraint, will ruin a mix. In any case use your ears and build a mix, slowly adding effects. After a while of listening how sidtle changes of effects, attack and so on, you’ll be more efficient setting effects and levels to where it becomes fluid and love. An effect should interact with a sound, not dilute or overwhelm (in most cases), that’s what ‘synthesis’ is at least. Think of your mix as three dimensional; sounds behind, above, and beside. Adjust where they sit in the mix. Use the master volume to make it loud.

2 Likes