Best use of Rytm ive seen so far... VSnares

Hi there, so im sure most of us know that V Snares seems to be stepping up his usage of elektron gear, this video shows him using an AR, seemingly as the core of his setup. (Starts around 1:55)

Venetian Snares/D.Lanois - Night

Ive got to say I love my AR, and ive always felt I get a lot out of it, but this video takes it a few steps beyond what i thought was doable.

Firstly it looks like hes only using the AR internal sequencer to control it all, or is there some external sequencing going on from the eurorack? If so hows that triggered? The MD doesnt look as though its running. Also presumably he routing the outputs separately and sending them to the eurorack as a multi fx unit? If so how are these switched?

Can someone with more gear knowledge than me pick apart what is actually going on in this video please?

9 Likes

Wow. I’m a huge fan of Daniel Lanois, thanks for sharing. I gotta admit, personally, I feel Venetian Snares dude ruined everything Lanois was doing there, but then again I’m not a big fan of freakout glitch music.

That aside, it doesn’t seem like the eurorack is being used here. Looks and sounds like it’s all just the AR.

What you’re hearing is just a lot of work put into sequencing, programming, muting, unmuting, scenes, perfs… nothing outlandish, but he seems like he’s very familiar with the AR workflow

1 Like

Yeah, both super talented but this felt kinda ‘novelty’ to me when VT started up. Like on a TV talent show when some classical musician suddenly kicks in to big beats or something. To me it doesn’t really gel/compliment each other… I can appreciate it tho. And Loved what Lanois was playing.

4 Likes

This is from another thread but shows Aaron’s mastery and penchant for detailed programming.

4 Likes

With no polemical view, I didn’t know Lanois, but was a big fan of VS, I felt contrary :blush:

Edit : hey, I was joking

oh yeah

I do want to believe this, because that would be great, but it just seems like theres too much going on; perfs getting pushed without hands on the box, hits showing on the pads but being muted, multiple delay lines, retriggers getting panned around independently, and all with only 2 pages, theres only so much conditional trigs can do!

Obviously theres an element of preprod in the samples hes chosen, but it feels like its alot more than that. If it is just the AR then I need to seriously up my knowledge!

Sorry for the off-topic reply, but for those interested in seeing more Lanois, I highly suggest checking this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUnUv_395vY

(how do i embed a youtube vid?)

1 Like

Was going to post the same vid. That’s the performance that made me realise how amazing the Lexicon Prime Time is and how key it is to that album’s sound. The time multiplier knob on vocal cuts sounds great. Would love to find another delay unit that can emulate it.

1 Like

as far as I understand the perfomance on the AR contains a lot of prepared samples that are clever and artful combined to produce those breakbeats.
I don’t expect all retrigs to come directly from the AR, I think they are in the samples…
At least that is the way I would do that.
Any by all means, this sounds great.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for that!! Inspired… I really like those tiny desk concerts, the one with The Dirty Three was on repeat for months in the studio

1 Like

This actually looks pretty simple on the RYTM side.
He only engages Mute mode briefly. No use of Perf or Scene modes in this video.
It looks as if it’s set to Rec Grid Mode and I never see any sequencer data on the selected pad.
He does attempt to use the Retrig mode and hit some pads but I cant tell if it’s actually doing anything.

At first I thought everything might be triggered from the modular, but I’m guessing he’s using the Impulse machines to trigger the modular, hence trying to use the re-trig feature.

2 Likes

hmm, using the ar only for outputting 8 gates could still be very exciting thanks to ractheting and cond.trigs…

Just to put some more rytm craziness in one place, not as refined but still interesting i think…

1 Like

Yes there is a definite disconnect between what im seeing and what im hearing and i was anticipating something of this nature as an explanation, I just have no experience of eurorack in order to break it down.

It looks to me like what you would expect if it was getting sequenced and cc’d externally, thats how I normally use mine, but i dont see any indication of that happening, so it probably is the other way round as you describe.

Aaron is probably using MD to trigger the modular and other sequencers

Here is an interview where he talk about his setup: https://www.attackmagazine.com/features/long-read/venetian-snares-lets-all-be-real/

1 Like

didnt look like the MD sequencer was even running tho

The tempo light is blinking… doesn’t that mean it’s running?

My thoughts were that it could have been in grid mode with one empty channel selected… but if that were the case we would see the steps light up from 1-16 over and over which we don’t.

It’s true that he often uses a broken MD just as a trigger sequencer. Perhaps it’s simply being used as a master clock.

the tempo blinks even when the sequence is not running. just like all the other elektron machines.

elektrons cant send master clock when the sequence isnt running

I’m looking at 3 that are doing that right now.